x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Any ideas?

1 2
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2022-03-19 7:23 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

So at the Gulfport Marina, there is a hidden, but open, 5 GHz WiFi signal. I can manually input the SSID on my phone and connect to it. It's free and open to the slip renters provided by the marina which is city operated. Nice to have WiFi on your boat to watch/stream tv.

Most WiFi PTZ security cams are 2.4 GHz and while some are 5 GHz...not many.

What I want to do is mount a fixed camera on my slip so I can bring up my boat and view it from my home. Then I wouldn't have to drive down to check the boat and ensure the lines are secure.

My 5 GHz cameras require they be connected via Ethernet cable to the router to configure them to work on WiFi. Impossible at the marina since I have no access to it.

My idea then is to install a wireless access point on my boat and connect to the marina signal. I could then connect a slip mounted camera to the access point. Since I've only used wired APs or those that use power lines in the past Iittle experience with this.

So my question is this:. Is there an AP/range extender that I can configure to connect with a hidden 5 GHz WiFi signal that requires no interaction with the host equipment. And then rebroadcast wirelessly on either 2.4 or 5 ghz?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-03-20 1:29 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

They have this thing called Ethernet converter, you should check it out.

Also goes by the term "WiFi to Ethernet Adapter".

Some info here:
https://blog.rottenwifi.com/best-wifi-to-ethernet-adapter/

I have used this model by BUFFALO in the past, connecting internet connection for in-house server from one room to another via WiFi. I think they now have smaller models from different companies.

WLI-TX4-G
https://www.buffalo.jp/product/detail/wli-tx4-g.html

Edited by stingraze 2022-03-20 1:39 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-03-20 3:15 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Rich...ah, a favorite H/PC Guru you are!

If you have 120v A.C. power at the slip, or 12volt battery power, consider taking any home router with dual frequency 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi down there and connect Ethernet cable from camera to the home router and a laptop via Ethernet or WiFi to it.

This will allow you to then configure your 5GHz camera to use the open 5GHz SSID (using your laptop), since if I understand what you're saying the Ethernet connection is only needed for initial setup, right?? Once set up... take your home router back to the neighborhood widows..., er... home.

This assumes your camera can use the standard http port 80 or https 443,( no special 1026, 3389, etc... ports as the Marina router most likely has all other ports closed). Also assumes camera accepts open wifi...

The WiFi extender mentioned above is a good alternate option if you need 24/7 WiFi subnet "bridged " to the marina wifi and they're cheap like $15. You can then set wifi security on the extender subnet, too.

I have an Iogear ethernet2Wifi adapter... its only 2.4 Ghz and runs a bit warm on 5volt sub micro power and is transparent ... cost about $40 but should work if only needed for set-up.

So... depends on what you need and "how long " ( NOT talking about widows or cicadas here... ).

Best regards, SuperHero!

Joval

Addendum: I used the low temp bismuth solder for Jornada battery rebuild... thanks for the good tip on that!

Edited by joval 2022-03-20 3:35 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-03-20 11:01 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

As with Joval, I read your problem as initial configuration and not requiring a long-term wired connection. Wouldn't it be easier to configure it at home and then drive it down, or is there some silly validation step in the software preventing this?

Looking at the UI for the it has an 'other' settings option for 2.4 and 5GHz. My guess is you can configure an open network through that. It assumes you have a permanent AC connection of course.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2022-03-20 7:48 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

My camera, Reolink RLC-410, connects via ethernet cable to my wireless router...my smartphone has to be connected to the same network to configure the camera. I can then change to camera connection to the same WiFi network and use the wireless instead of the hard wired connection. Then I can unplug the ethernet cable and see the camera image on my smartphone. I can use cellular or any WiFi connection at this point on my phone...bur cannot change the camera WiFi or any other connection setting again without performing a factory reset. The camera stores a single IP address.

I did try to enter the SSID of the marina from my house onto the camera and then take it down there...but it didn't work. Evidently it is storing something else when hard wired...maybe the IP address of the router...but the is no access to that information or way to enter it manually from the phone app.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2022-03-21 10:47 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Problem resolved...went with an entirely different approach.

Have several old 4G/LTE smartphones lying around... Turned one into a security camera using an app titled "Security Camera CZ."

Childishly simple to hook up.

Created a new Google account...installed app on old phone and current phone...set one to "camera" and one to "viewer".

That's it...just need to get waterproof box with clear cover to install camera in and mount it now...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-03-21 1:33 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Does it turn the screen off on the phone then? Wouldn't want warm glow advertising its presence in the boat overnight would you.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2022-03-22 12:01 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yes...screen goes off...nothing to indicate it is running. Going to install it in a waterproof enclosure anyways.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-03-22 10:08 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Cool. What's the image quality like? Does the marina have lighting so you can see anything at night?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2022-03-22 9:50 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Raining here today...will mount it tomorrow and take a couple screenshots...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2022-03-23 9:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Got it mounted..here is what I see on my phone from my house. I changed resolution to much much lower to post here .

My boat name is Sea-Nile 4. Sea-Nile 1 was sold off years ago. 2 sunk. 3 is a little 8' Pond Prowler I use as a dingy. 5 is my smaller fishing boat...a Trophy 1903. 6 will be next year maybe if I can beg hard enough to the wife .

(Screenshot_20220323-160541.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Screenshot_20220323-160541.jpg (104KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2022-03-23 9:37 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Sea-Nile 3 & 5

(Resized_20220226_144318.jpeg)

(FB_IMG_1648071378319.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Resized_20220226_144318.jpeg (651KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments FB_IMG_1648071378319.jpg (73KB - 5 downloads)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2022-03-24 1:31 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Night picture sucks since smartphone doesn't have infrared light capability...

(Screenshot_20220323-202131.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Screenshot_20220323-202131.png (1164KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2022-03-24 2:02 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

. . . and the Ethernet cable doubles as mooring.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-03-24 9:26 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That's not half bad. I'm quite impressed with that. Even the night shot - it is what it is, but the line is still visible. Good find.

How come you have so many boats? Are they for different purposes?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.267 - Cached queries : 53 - Executed queries : 33