x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Full backup of an HP620LX

dl1av Page Icon Posted 2022-04-04 6:41 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Has someone tried to make a full backup from an HP620 with CE2.0 and SH3?
Not only the databases but the full "drive c:" including the registry.

I tried a few programs from our filebase here but the packs are either not running at all (runtime error, so dll´s are missing, I think) or are out of their licensing period. Or they just backup "my documents" (like the backup included in the CE-ROM)

I wanted to spare me the trouble of looking for my cables and the old ActiveSync-notebook just for one backup and wanted to backup it quick to the PCMCIA (like it is included in the 720´s ROM already).

Stefan

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-04-04 9:32 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Please be sure to report apps that didn't work on the SCL compatibility tab.

You cannot backup the ROM file system. For system databases and the registry there are third party tools. For the RAMFS, just copy them to the CF card and copy them back again - or use CAM Maker to make a restore cab for them.
 Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2022-04-05 8:08 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Ok, so just copying the Windows-folder and everything else makes it possible to restore the state? That`s good for me.

I will add my experiences to the compatibility list
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-04-05 11:50 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You can't copy ROM, you can copy from CF and over-shadow the ROM and from CF into new RAMFS locations.
 Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2022-04-05 12:28 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

The RAM-filesystem is sufficient. I don't need a romdump, I just want to restore the state of the machine in case I forget to recharge it regularly. Sometimes it sits in a dark box for a few months and after that it obviously is like new and again (perhaps) I start to reassemble my set of software. That is fun, of course, but there has to be another way *gg*
 Top of the page
archival36 Page Icon Posted 2022-04-06 7:33 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

Have you tried CF Backup? Your LX620 is just the color screen version of the 360LX. I found that it backups the database and registry entries.
 Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2022-04-07 12:22 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

I gave it a try because it looked promising but something went wrong. It only saved the databases

Have to try again, first I just jumped through the different recommendations in the hpc-database without any deeper testing.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-04-07 10:15 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Have you tried bUseful Utilities Pack 2.0? Its backup app is great and seems to be available for SH3.

Jake
 Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2022-04-09 12:42 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Jake, the bUseful backup did the job on the HP620LX finally

It is very comfortable, one can choose every item to backup (including system files). It just comes with a 30days-licence but since I only need the restore when the device is blank this is no problem.
Or I will look for the registry or lock file later.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-04-09 3:24 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

And it's self-extracting, so a restore doesn't need the actual software. Glad it worked out.

Jake
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2022-04-09 4:22 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I always wondered whether bUSEFUL Backup's self-executing (.exe) backup files are themselves time-limited when the program itself is unregistered. This is helpful info in the CE post-development era when so many payware program developers have shut down without releasing their programs as freeware, leaving their users between a rock and a hard place.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-04-09 7:28 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Perhaps dl1av will put your concerns to the test in 29 days I have BSquare backup on two 2.0 devices, but I don't think I had to register anything.

Jake
 Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2022-04-10 5:30 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Let´s see what happens in a month

As I remember from these days these paywall locks on the CE or DOS palmtops were not as fancy as on the windows machines. Just a registry entry or a lockfile. No patching of complex structures inside the EXE
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 51 - Executed queries : 29