x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Japanese Jornada 720 + PocketDOS

stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-04-09 9:23 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

So today, I finally figured out a way to get the .CABs from the .exe of PocketDOS.

I got all the .CABs, so I copied it to my 32GB Compact Flash I bought in Akihabara, Tokyo for about $12.87. The Compact Flash card uses a Toshiba chip, and is made in Taiwan. I then inserted the Compact Flash card to my Japanese Jornada 720.

I uploaded a YouTube video of me hitting DIR command in PocketDOS running FreeDOS 1.0. Next, I want to try using ELKS if it works on this or not.

Edited by stingraze 2022-04-09 9:24 AM
 Top of the page
alexpda77 Page Icon Posted 2022-04-09 2:35 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

That's good to know someone still use Pocket Dos on a Jornada 7xx. I received a Jornada 710 yesterday and I'm still figuring out how everything work. But so far it's great.
The CAB extraction from the EXE is very easy as you just need to use a ZIP/RAR extractor like WinRAR. It can't be done with every EXE, some other and you need to use Active Sync.
Pocket Dos looks quite good for a Dos emulator on the Jornada and it seems it can replace a HP 200LX ? Well even better as you can get colors.

I'm not sure if it's as fast and compatible as the Intel 80186@8Mz (can be pushed at 16) of the HP 200LX, but so far it looks to run at good speed.

I think I saw another Dos emulator running on Linux for the Jornada 7xx, it ran Duke Nukem with sound, but seriously I'm not sure if it really was an emulator indeed. Does anyone know about this ?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-04-14 9:13 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I don't know about the emulator you are talking about that runs that, but seems cool.

PocketDOS speed is good as far as I tried.
For example, BOCHS emulation is pretty slow, but PocketDOS emulating these old CPUs do well. I wonder why that is so. (Linux and other OS runs quite slow on BOCHS...)

I will be trying some DOS softwares on this device.

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2022-04-14 10:11 AM
 Top of the page
alexpda77 Page Icon Posted 2022-04-14 12:03 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

stingraze - 2022-04-14 9:13 AM

I don't know about the emulator you are talking about that runs that, but seems cool.

PocketDOS speed is good as far as I tried.
For example, BOCHS emulation is pretty slow, but PocketDOS emulating these old CPUs do well. I wonder why that is so. (Linux and other OS runs quite slow on BOCHS...)

I will be trying some DOS softwares on this device.

-stingraze

Nope, I re-watched the video and it looks more than a Duke Nukem port on Linux than the game working on a Dos emulator. I thought it was because in a comment some people said it runs on a Dos emu.
But I'm rather sure that better and faster Dos emulation could be achieved on the Jornada 7xx. Nintendo DS has a Dos emulator working a lot faster than Pocket Dos but it runs on a 67Mhz ARM processor. It can play Doom and Duke Nukem at an acceptable speed with sound ...

I've been trying several old CGA games in Pocket Dos, and I find the compatibility pretty low with slow speed for such very old games. At first I thought the emulator could perfectly emulate a HP 200LX, but it's not the case at all ...

What I don't get is that my Jornada 560, same specs as the Jornada 7xx, runs a lot faster than the 7xx. Many emulators run full speed with no frame skip. I don't get it, unlike the 7xx, the 560 is supposed to lack the 2D acceleration.

Edited by alexpda77 2022-04-14 12:06 PM
 Top of the page
AximUser Page Icon Posted 2022-09-26 8:45 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

That is a helpful video.

I am looking for a Japanese electronic dictionary to use with EBPocket. The Jornada looks awesome but I suspect it is just too slow to parse big dictionaries.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9