x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Programming on a virutal machin vs real hardware

alexpda77 Page Icon Posted 2022-04-14 12:20 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I followed the excellent tutorial to setup a a Windows Ce development environment in Hyper-V. I followed the recommendation to use NT4 but I found the OS pretty chaotic. It needs one million updates and patches to start, this is the same old boring windows 95 interface, and the mouse is just so stressful to use (or do I need to change the driver ?).

Anyway, I've got a Dell Optiplex running Windows XP professional next to my main PC. Would it be even better to use it than a virtual machine under windows 10 ?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-04-14 4:35 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Logically speaking, there is little difference between NT 4 and XP for this task, apart from it's a heavier OS. In theory most things will work as long as it's XP Pro. NT4 will guarantee 100% compatibility as the tools were written for it, not XP. To be fair, you need even more updates to bring XP up to snuff than you do NT 4.

If you install IE6 with the shell update, you can at least get the Windows 98 UI on NT 4.0.
 Top of the page
alexpda77 Page Icon Posted 2022-04-14 6:15 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

C:Amie - 2022-04-14 4:35 PM

Logically speaking, there is little difference between NT 4 and XP for this task, apart from it's a heavier OS. In theory most things will work as long as it's XP Pro. NT4 will guarantee 100% compatibility as the tools were written for it, not XP. To be fair, you need even more updates to bring XP up to snuff than you do NT 4.

If you install IE6 with the shell update, you can at least get the Windows 98 UI on NT 4.0.

Thanks for the fast reply, and for the tutorial, you made it absolutely easy. Just for Windows 10, probably because new updates, I needed to enter a command with power shell to bring compatibility between hyper-V and NT4. Without that, it crashes when you launch the NT4 installation CD.
I made everything working and compiled a first program yesterday night thanks to your tutorial.
But seriously I'll give Windows XP a try tonight because as said, I've got a nice Dell Optiplex with XP that I kept for gaming, I've got hope it will be more comfy to use than NT4 in a virtual machine.
Hey, did I say thank you so much for the great tutorial ??
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-04-14 8:26 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you have already made the NT 4 VM, upgrade install it to XP Pro. Save yourself the bother
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9