x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Finally a working Atari ST emulator for the Jornada 7xx

alexpda77 Page Icon Posted 2022-04-16 3:08 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

So after 15 years my last try, I decided to work again on CastCE sources. It is a very good and compatible Atari ST emulator for Pocket PC. But it doesn't run on handled PC's even with Gapi and every other DLL hacks. This is my first attempt at programming on Windows CE environment, and even anything Windows. I just know C with GCC. So I'm using this project to learn coding for Windows CE with Gapi.

So far, after the first day I've got the display working. I made it full screen because I don't like small windows when you've got a full 640 pixels wide display in your hand. It needs Gapi and RedGear to work.
I've got rid of the virtual keyboard because it doesn't matter when you've got a real one. But I haven't implemented the Jornada's keyboard routines yet. I still need to learn Gapi's handling of the keyboard, but it looks quite simple.
Joysticks work, nothing needed to make that work, CastCE already let you choose some keys and it works OK with my Jornada 710.
Sound is working, nothing needed to make it work.
Mouse with the stylus not working yet. CastCE was designed to work with another orientation of the screen and with a 320x240 display. Gapi doesn't help to correct that. So I'll need to rewrite/fix the stylus part.
I intend to make the Atari ST mouse work like if you use your stylus in any Pocket PC application. It means you just need to press the stylus where you want on the screen, instead of moving the mouse cursor with the stylus then press a virtual mouse button. I don't even understand why it was not yet implemented in CastCE because that's very simple.
Floppy disk management (ST and MSA files) was already implemented in CastCE and of course it still works.
Compatibility is just amazing, but all the credits go to the CastAway developers on which CastCE is based.

At last, the speed is not 100% without frame skipping (even if not full screen). This is something I don't understand because it works full speed with no frame skipping on my Jornada 560. This Jornada has got the same ARM processor than the Jornada's 7xx. On PhoneDB website, unlike the 7xx, the Jornada 560 has no 2D acceleration mentioned. But let's face it, on every things I tried on both devices, the Jornada 560 is a lot more snappy than my Jornada 710. I wish someone can explain this.

No release yet as at least I wait to make the keyboard working, then I'll upload the emulator in the download section of the website.

Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-04-16 10:35 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
alexpda77, I personally don't game, but this is great news. Thank you for your hard work and I hope that other folks here can weigh in and solve the remaining issues. So glad that you're here.

Jake
 Top of the page
jorel101 Page Icon Posted 2022-04-16 11:39 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Nice work. Will keep an eye on progress.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-04-17 11:35 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

This is fantastic work. Very well done.

i wonder if Frank at WinCeSoft.de could offer some insight on the performance issues. If anyone understands GAPI, it's him.

I do hope that you'll consider releasing it and may be the source too. I am happy for you to put it out via our GitHub if you don't have your own - https://github.com/HPC-Factor
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-04-17 12:07 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Nice job!
 Top of the page
alexpda77 Page Icon Posted 2022-04-17 1:45 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

C:Amie - 2022-04-17 11:35 AM

i wonder if Frank at WinCeSoft.de could offer some insight on the performance issues. If anyone understands GAPI, it's him.

I do hope that you'll consider releasing it and may be the source too. I am happy for you to put it out via our GitHub if you don't have your own - https://github.com/HPC-Factor

Yes I'll probably put the sources on GitHub later when it is more advanced.
For now I'll put the binary in the hpcfactor download repository, how am I supposed to do that ?
Keyboard is now working, can use the Atari mouse via the Jornada keyboard, I'll try to make it work with the stylus today.

Edited by alexpda77 2022-04-17 1:48 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2022-04-18 12:30 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Excellent!

Well done!

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-04-18 10:04 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

alexpda77 - 2022-04-17 1:45 PM

C:Amie - 2022-04-17 11:35 AM

Yes I'll probably put the sources on GitHub later when it is more advanced.
For now I'll put the binary in the hpcfactor download repository, how am I supposed to do that ?
Keyboard is now working, can use the Atari mouse via the Jornada keyboard, I'll try to make it work with the stylus today.

PM sent
 Top of the page
Saidp Page Icon Posted 2022-04-28 4:46 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi Alex,
How is the development going? Can you please share the app link and if possible, source on Github? It is very intriguing to me to try Atari ST emulator. Thanks!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-04-28 5:15 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Saidp - 2022-04-28 4:46 PM

Hi Alex,
How is the development going? Can you please share the app link and if possible, source on Github? It is very intriguing to me to try Atari ST emulator. Thanks!
We will have it in the download centre shortly. Alex is debugging a known issue so asked me to hold fire.
 Top of the page
alexpda77 Page Icon Posted 2022-04-28 6:26 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Saidp - 2022-04-28 4:46 PM

Hi Alex,

It should be available in the next coming hours. To avoid some confusion, better read the "read me" file I put with the emulator. I'll put it on Github when I will fix some more bugs and clean the sources too.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-04-29 9:40 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Added:
https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/1172/alexpda77/JCastCE/version_0.7

Is this compiled using the HPC2000 SDK or the H/PC Pro SDK i.e. will it launch on an ARM CE 2.11 device?
 Top of the page
alexpda77 Page Icon Posted 2022-04-29 1:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

C:Amie - 2022-04-29 9:40 AM

Added:
https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/1172/alexpda77/JCastCE/version_0.7

Is this compiled using the HPC2000 SDK or the H/PC Pro SDK i.e. will it launch on an ARM CE 2.11 device?

It was compiled with the HPC2000 option. I'll try to build it for H/PC Pro next time, though I don't have any ARM 2.11 devices, except a Jornada 520 but it is SH3.
I'd like to add support for SH3 devices later, if I can get information to gain access to the video frame buffer and I guess some more Windows CE programming knowledge ...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-04-29 2:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Okay, thanks. I've recorded the file as such ^_^
 Top of the page
Saidp Page Icon Posted 2022-04-30 2:12 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thank you Alex, I will try it and let you know if I face issues.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 51 - Executed queries : 31