x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Casio A-10 - Windows key stuck

systremor Page Icon Posted 2022-04-19 7:16 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Not sure if anyone had a similar issue, any help would be valuable.

I have bought a Casio A-10 H/PC and it arrived today. Everything works great except for the fact that the Windows key is stuck (pressed). This issue persists even after turning off, hard reset and teardown/removing the rubber sheet on the keyboard. Upon turning it on, none of the keys are responsive before pressing the "bell" button on the front left, not even the on/off/backlight keys. This means that when pressing R, the Run dialog opens up as it's interpreted as Win+R, E opens Explorer (Win+E) and so on.

I've tore the device down and checked the PCB traces/key contacts, everything seems okay. The board also seems okay, there's no corrosion or something else that would be suspicious...

Edited by systremor 2022-04-19 7:16 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-04-21 6:21 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Did you continuity test the key switch when the cap is up?
 Top of the page
systremor Page Icon Posted 2022-05-05 6:15 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Well it turns out that the keyboard flex cable is bad as its traces are made of some kind of non-metal conductor (something similar to graphite) and thus they've simply deteriorated over the years, which leaves me with:
a) finding a keyboard + flex cable assembly (next to impossible to find, ribbon cable is also permanently attached to the keyboard PCB)
b) replacing the flex cable with individual enameled wires (doable, but really hard to achieve without a microscope and very fine soldering tip, also really thin 0.08mm enameled copper wire has to be used)

Edited by systremor 2022-05-05 6:17 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 9