x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows 95 IBM 330 ActiveSync 3.1

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-05-17 8:34 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Hi I need an expert help.
I have an IBM 330 6577 - 59T with Microsoft Windows 95 C OSR 2.5.
I am trying to install ActiveSync 3.1 but the installation fails giving me the following error:

The TCP / IP Protocol must be installed on this computer before Mirosoft ActiveSync can be installed.
Click ok quit Setup. Then, open Control Panel, double-click Network, and install this protocol.

Now, I state that I don't have a network card, and I manually installed: Existing Ndis2 Driver (even if Windows tells me that this card has been detected together with another existing ODI Driver), so in NETWORK I have installed the TCP / IP protocol .
I restarted the PC, but apparently the problem persists. Isn't it that you need a real network card? Or is there something else to do? Thank you so much I await answers!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-05-17 9:01 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Check that you have dial up networking installed in the optional components. Once you have sorted that, you should patch Windows 95, https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200236/windows_95_patches_upd... particularly dial up networking 1.4.

Finally, use ActiveSync 3.8, not 3.1
https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200076/using_activesync_371_3...
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-05-17 6:55 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2022-05-17 9:01 AM

Check that you have dial up networking installed in the optional components. Once you have sorted that, you should patch Windows 95, https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200236/windows_95_patches_upd... particularly dial up networking 1.4.

Finally, use ActiveSync 3.8, not 3.1
https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200076/using_activesync_371_3...

A thousand thanks! I did as I said. Now everything works!
Too bad not to find these updates in Italian language. Unless you know a site where it has everything in various languages.
However, I can't install ActiveSync 3.8, since I haven't upgraded Internet Explorer 4 to windows 95. it's too heavy for my PC. Slow down all Windows. I only have 16MB of ram.

Question, is it natural for you to tell me that USB is not supported? This PC has USB 1.0 if I remember correctly. They are the first USB ports of the time.
Removable disks work perfectly.

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-05-17 9:14 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I'm afraid I don't, we have IE 5.5 SP2 in Italian, but not the remainder of the updates for 95.

I would encourage you to upgrade to 5.5 SP2, even if you skip the shell update. eBay yourself some more RAM if it is within your means and you could probably squeeze Windows 98 onto it.

95 OEM SR2.5 should support USB 1.0, provided you have installed the USB patch.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-05-17 10:05 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I have an IBM 330 Model 6577 -59T, I don't know if there is still some compatible ram ...
The USB detects it perfectly, in fact I can detect the removable disks without problems, so as to transfer files, from the old PC to the modern one.
Install IE 5.5 SP2? I don't know how to skip the shell update. But is it convenient for me? I use this pc, for work, I continue to use it. I use Office 97 package, PDF etc, etc.
Now one thing comes to mind:
In the instruction booklet it says there is an infrared port. But Windows 95 doesn't detect it.
I read here on the site:

Windows 95 and USB Synchronization
Windows 95 OSR2 and above support the use of basic USB hardware when the Windows 95 USB supplement is installed. You cannot use a USB equipped Handheld PC to synchronize with Windows 95 OSR2. ActiveSync does not provide sync drivers for Windows 95. Only IrDA, Serial, RAS and Network connections are supported.

So if the USB port to sync the device (I'm about to buy a working hp jornada 720) on Windows 95 is not supported for syncing, I could use the infrared port.
(I remember a long time ago, in Win98se, before removing it, as it was too heavy for my pc, it detected the infrared port, if I remember correctly).
Now how do I get Windows 95 to detect the infrared port? Maybe it is disabled in the BIOS? .... I don't know what to do, advice? I am not very familiar with using the BIOS.

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-05-17 10:08 PM
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-05-17 10:46 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Look, I saw it in the BIOS, and if I'm not wrong the infrared port is there!
I took pictures. Obviously the BIOS is all in Italian.

In Unità e porte I/E = Units and ports I/E

Impostazioni della porta seriale = Serial Port Settings

Indirizzo porta dispositivo ad infrarossi = Infrared device port address
IRQ porta dispositivo ad infrarossi = IRQ infrared device port

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-05-18 8:02 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

192 MB with a 64MB DIMM module
Bank 0 and Bank 1 consist of two SIMM sockets per bank. Bank 2 consists of one DIMM socket. Memory is upgraded by using a 32MB DIMM module only.

64MB 2x32MB SIMM kit
32MB 2x16MB SIMM kit
32MB DIMM
512KB CPU cache

I can't find a part number for the 64MB DIMM

I would upgrade the memory and install IE 5.5 with the shell update. It is a much nicer experience.

Oh you meant to use USB with a H/PC, sorry, I didn't follow you. No, you'll need to upgrade to Windows 98 to do that.

You need to patch Windows 95 as per my guide, IR should work once the Infrared Transfer 1.0 and IrDA 2.0 Infrared Drivers updates are installed.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-05-18 10:57 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Thanks again for the help. I saw that memory costs, for now I would avoid taking it.
If I understand correctly if I want to use USB for synchronization, should I necessarily switch to Windows 98?
Or if I install Infrared Transfer 1.0 and IrDA 2.0 Infrared Drivers updates, forces should it work?

I could install Windows 98SE with 98Lite. In fact, with this modification, I remember when I tried it, win98 ran beautifully!
The problem is that I should waste time backing up all files ...

I'm reading that IrDA 2.0 Infrared Drivers is not compatible with windows 95 and still requires external USB infrared support, like this:
My Webpage
Also according to the manual:
My Webpage
this update is only compatible with Windows 98 / Me / 2000 / XP.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-05-18 11:00 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

If, on the other hand, by installing these updates, I can use the USB to synchronize the device, then, to download the files, I have read that I can make a donation of how much? so as to have access to your archive and download the required updates?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-05-18 2:50 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The IR updates will add IR support to Windows 95, not USB support. Windows 95 has no support for USB 1.1 and a very limited subset of driver support for 1.0.

If you want USB 1.1/2.0 support, you need 98 First Edition or higher.

As for whether your PC has an IrDA port, I couldn't say. It should be fairly visible if it does have one on the front.

I'd put a watch on eBay for the DIMM/SIMM upgrades so that you get notified when a non0commercial scalper-seller lists one.

As for donating, see https://www.hpcfactor.com/info/help/donate_to_download/ but again, while I have IE 5.5 SP2 in Italian, I don't have anything else for Windows 95. Only EN-US.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-05-18 4:29 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Thanks so much for all the help.
Maybe I should actually switch to Windows 98SE.
I was wondering, is there a USB adapter for the COM port?
maybe so I could bypass this problem!

ps. I happened to see this online store.
Are they the RAM you advised me to get on ebay?
Because with all the shipping I would save a lot on the cost, 85 euros in total in relation, if taken in europan at a cost of 125 euros.
This is the site I found.
My Webpage
This memory is the one you advised me to get on ebay.
My Webpage

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-05-18 4:32 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-05-18 6:06 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

No you cannot bolt a USB port onto a RS232 port.

Looking at page 9 in this manual:
http://ps-2.kev009.com/pccbbs/commercial_desktop/6577io.pdf

The 330 riser has a PCI slot on it, presumably a 5 volt PCI-33 slot from the diagram. So you can get an inexpensive 32-bit 5v PCI card with Windows 98 support for USB 2.0.

If Windows 98 is slow, then that CPU cache module would likely be a big boost to performance - but I'd get a DIMM/SIMMs if you can.

As long as the IBM part numbers are the same, it should work. It might be an idea to open the case and check what configuration you currently have in there e.g. 2x8MB SIMMs and nothing in the secondary SIMM slots or the DIMM slot. In which case if you got 2x32MB you could bank it:
32MB, 32MB, 8MB, 8MB for 78MB RAM on SIMM's (see page 13, 14 and 15 in the above manual for supported RAM configurations)

p.s. did you physically find the IrDA port on the front?
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-05-18 7:40 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

With the problem of slowness, installing 98Lite windows goes perfectly smoothly. So I can solve this problem.

I cannot physically test the IrDA port. I have nothing to connect to it and, however, windows 95 does not see it.
I should install those two updates you told me to install.
Anyway tomorrow I open the PC and see what's inside, maybe I take some pictures and share.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-05-18 8:25 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Maybe the problem is solved.
The product I want to buy has a COM connection, so the owner told me. It should also be seen in the photos. What do you think? Does this device have a COM port?
DEVICE HP Jornada 720

If that's true, I don't need USB !!!

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-05-18 8:26 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-05-18 8:53 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9