x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows 95 IBM 330 ActiveSync 3.1

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Next »
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-05-18 10:22 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2022-05-18 8:53 PM

The 720 has IR, serial and USB. https://www.hpcfactor.com/hardware/devices/specification.asp?d=65

OK thanks.
in the meantime I make a donation so I can download the two updates you advised me to download: Infrared Transfer 1.0 and IrDA 2.0 Infrared Drivers updates
Is this the right file?
IrDa 2.0 Infrared
I can't find Infrared Transfer 1.0 on the site ...

ps. I saw that here on the site, there is a nice list with the various Handheld PC Devices, I wonder if I find an older one, like a device with Windows CE 1.00 (Handheld PC 1.0) would I solve my problem more easily?
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-05-19 12:14 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

So I installed the two updates Infrared Transfer 1.0 and IrDA 2.0 Infrared (file: W95irxfer and W95ir)
I have installed Infrared Transfer 1.0 and everything is ok.
then IrDA 2.0 Infrared, here a problem arises which model should I put?

I tried to install the Standard and when I start Microsoft ActiveSync in Infrared Port (IR) it says Available.
Now it has appeared near the time, the infrared icon, which flashes, if I go over it with the Mouse, it appears: (No available infrared devices in range)
Should everything be okay?

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-05-19 12:45 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-05-19 8:13 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

No an older CE device won't help you. Your problem is PC side, not CE side.
It is hard to say because I don't know what hardware is in the PC. Usually it is just a generic COM adapted SIR port or FIR port, so the generic 'built-in' should work... but without knowing what is in it, I cannot say.

Did you find the physical port on the front of the machine?
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-05-19 8:46 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2022-05-19 8:13 AM

No an older CE device won't help you. Your problem is PC side, not CE side.
It is hard to say because I don't know what hardware is in the PC. Usually it is just a generic COM adapted SIR port or FIR port, so the generic 'built-in' should work... but without knowing what is in it, I cannot say.

Did you find the physical port on the front of the machine?

Good morning! So this is what I found:
Immage 01
Immage 02

Tell me if you need more photos!

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-05-19 8:47 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-05-19 10:10 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Oh right. So it has a dedicated RS232 IR header but no built in transceiver. Unless you have the transceiver breakout cable you are going to be out of luck with that one. A lot of those machines from the 90's had a transceiver port built-in to the front of the chassis. Presumably this doesn't.

I think that you have zero chance of finding one if you do not already have it. So your best bet will be Windows 98 + RAM + USB 2.0 card in order to maximise device longevity and options. At least then you could use a USB IR dongle if you really wanted one.
I would disable the IR port in the BIOS and clear the interrupt as you cannot use it.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-05-19 12:11 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

ok, thanks for the info. Unfortunately I don't have any transceiver breakout cables. I would like to disable some things, which I don't use in the BIOS, but I don't know where to get my hands.
As for USB 2.0, they don't interest me. Both the current one to transfer small files, that's fine (I mainly transfer documents in word, exel, pdf and images, it takes little time even with my slow USB).
It will mean that I will install Windows 98se, so I can use the USB for synchronization.

This is the RAM I have installed in my IBM PC:
(I was thinking, if I can take 4 memory banks and get to 128MB?)

So what kind of ram can I buy compatible with my motherboard?

I was also thinking of taking a larger disc. What do you suggest me? I was thinking a hdd not exceeding 30GB. Advice?

Since I only have one space left to mount a hardware, since USB 2.0 does not interest me, I found this LAN among the shelves, can I install it and use it with my IBM?

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-05-19 12:18 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-05-19 2:07 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I've given you all the links to the RAM, CPU Cache chip and USB controller above, as well as the manual. I'm not going to write them out again.

I am not sure how well a USB 1.0 port will work with it all, could be an interesting experiment. You may need 1.1, in which case you will need the 2.0 controller.

Network card: It is a dual voltage card, so assuming you have Windows 98 drivers (they seem to exist for the chip) it should work.

Hard drive. I wouldn't bother with a Hard Drive. I'd be inclined to get a IDE to CF adapter and run it from a CF card. If you have a free ATX slot, you could get an externally inserted one and have one CF card with Windows 95 and another with Windows 98 on it, then just swap them over. It will be a lot faster and vastly quieter than a nearly 30 year old hard drive. The maximum size depends on the BIOS. If there are BIOS updates, you need to install them and perhaps you will be able to use a LBA up to 32GB. I doubt that machine could ever address anything over 32GB.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-05-19 2:47 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Ok then let's proceed in order. Not being a BIOS expert, how can I see if there is an update and if it is the right one? What about the installation procedure?

EDIT:
I found this site, do you think this is the right one?
BIOS

It should be the one indicated as:

PC 330/350 Pentium - 6577, 6587 - LVJT37A.EXE - ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/pccbbs/commercial_desktop/lvjt37a.exe

EDIT:
The server seems unreachable .... I found this one:
My Webpage
From here I found the LVJT37A.EXE file.
But before I mess up I have to be sure it's the right one.

If it is the right file, if I understood correctly, I put it on floppy and then, it starts up by itself when the pc is turned on, or is there any entry for the update from the bios?

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-05-19 3:36 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-05-19 4:06 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The instructions are
This is a flash BIOS update. The .exe file should be saved to your hard disk and executed. It will prompt you for a diskette. Follow the on-screen instructions and extract the files, creating a bootable diskette.
Write-protect the diskette immediately. Otherwise, Windows 95, 98, or NT may render the diskette unusable.
Shut down and power off the machine and then re-boot with the flash diskette in the A: drive to update the flash BIOS.

Longer instructions:
http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/ftp/mirrors/ps2supersite.homed...

Whether it is newer than the one you currently have, only you can say. I cannot open the BIOS update file as I don't have a 16-bit system running. Once you have made the floppy drive, there should be a CHANGES.NEW text file on the floppy that contains the change notes.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-05-19 4:35 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Let's hope we don't mess up!
in my BIOS information it appears:
BIOS data: 07/19/96.
Instead this of the ftp says:
Disk Release Date: 03-24-99
Disk Version / Release: 37a
Date Created: 22-05-96
Last Updated: 05-27-99
Revision Date: 27-05-2000
So now I proceed with the arrangement and then I'll let you know.

EDIT:
Perfect, I didn't think it was so easy! Now the bios is updated to the latest version!

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-05-19 5:07 PM
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-05-19 6:39 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Now I evaluate the hardware component upgrade. The cost is high. In case of problems I write!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-05-19 7:08 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

What was in the CHANGES.NEW readme file then? Presumably the machine is now Year 2000 compliant
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-05-20 8:49 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I have decided to open a separate discussion.
C: Amie helped me a lot.
Based on a previous discussion, he advised me to update some PC components:
C:Amie - 2022-05-18 8:02 AM

192 MB with a 64MB DIMM module
Bank 0 and Bank 1 consist of two SIMM sockets per bank. Bank 2 consists of one DIMM socket. Memory is upgraded by using a 32MB DIMM module only.

64MB 2x32MB SIMM kit
32MB 2x16MB SIMM kit
32MB DIMM
512KB CPU cache

I can't find a part number for the 64MB DIMM

I would upgrade the memory and install IE 5.5 with the shell update. It is a much nicer experience.

Oh you meant to use USB with a H/PC, sorry, I didn't follow you. No, you'll need to upgrade to Windows 98 to do that.

You need to patch Windows 95 as per my guide, IR should work once the Infrared Transfer 1.0 and IrDA 2.0 Infrared Drivers updates are installed.

I found this site with a very low cost.
I think these RAMs are fine for my IBM 330 6577-59T?
Initially I was not, intending to update the PC and spend some money, but when I came across this site, compared to the cost of Ebay, then a positive thought comes to my mind ...
If the ram is the right one; if I understand correctly, if I want to reach 192MB of ram I will have to buy 4 modules of 32MB, these must be inserted in the slots the white ones, then I buy one with 32MB of ram and the latter must be inserted in the black slot, which is longer than the others (the white ones). Quite right?

Basically I buy x2 the $ 59.95 package (64MB Kit (2 x 32MB - 72p SIMM, 5v, EDO) so I have 4 x 32MB
And then I buy a 32MB - 168p DIMM, 5v, EDO, w / Bf module ??

SITE: MEMORY
Memory slot:

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-05-20 9:05 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-05-21 11:15 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Merged back into the previous thread
No sense creating a new thread to continue talking about the same subject.

Yes, the white ones are the SIMMs I mentioned above, the black one is the DIMM I mentioned above.
Each pair of SIMMs has to be identically matched, don't mix them.

You didn't answer my question about the readme on the floppy?
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-05-21 6:02 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I didn't understand the question before and thought it was a joke! For this I have not answered.
In the readme I read the bios update procedure and I did it correctly. Now the bios version is updated.

As for memory, then does that site I found sell exactly the one that is compatible with my PC?
So I buy it there which costs much less!

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-05-21 6:05 PM
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.202 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8