x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Handheld PC - Survey / Help.

1 2 3
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-06-14 1:30 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Hello everyone, I would like to ask for help, a personal opinion from each of you.
For some time I would like to take a working Handheld PC to use for work and always carry it with me. I will need it to make appointments, reminders, contacts, etc., etc. Obviously I am nostalgic, I would like something "Vintage".
I've seen some interesting devices, including: An HP Jornada 545, HP iPaq hw6500, Hp iPaq pocket PC h1930 and an HP Jornada 720 netbook. The latter is the one I like best.
Among these, what do you recommend in practical terms to use? Or do you have other PDAs to recommend? A thousand thanks!

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-06-14 1:31 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-06-14 2:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I think you need to ascertain whether or not you need a keyboard. If you do not, then a PPC is more appropriate and can be slightly more up to date. If you do then a Jornada 710, 720 or 728 are about the best provided you have small hands. If you need a larger key area, then a MobilePro might be better - but are bigger.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-06-14 4:29 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

OK thank you very much. I will evaluate the expense.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-06-14 6:14 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
If you're interested in syncing with a 32-bit Outlook on your desktop (Outlook versions 2010-and-below, 32-bit, and some patching would be the only method, I believe), then stick with WinCE 3.0 (eg: J720 or later versions of MobilePro). I'm not familiar with PPC, so I don't know the OS versions of the ones you list.

Jake
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-06-14 9:34 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Jake - 2022-06-14 6:14 PM

If you're interested in syncing with a 32-bit Outlook on your desktop (Outlook versions 2010-and-below, 32-bit, and some patching would be the only method, I believe), then stick with WinCE 3.0 (eg: J720 or later versions of MobilePro). I'm not familiar with PPC, so I don't know the OS versions of the ones you list.

Jake

Look I'm only using the full Office 97 package.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-06-14 9:57 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

You'll be in good shape, then. To sync WinCE 3.0, you'll need WMDC and its patch to get it to run on Win10 (don't yet know about Win11). Or if you're running XP, you'll just need ActiveSync 3.8 and you'll be able to sync by wifi, something I miss.

If, by chance, you use WMDC, you might need the proprietary serial cable. I don't believe that infrared or wifi work beyond XP for connections. So if you buy, make certain there's a cable involved in the transaction, or a cable ready to buy elsewhere (they can be hard to find). A J720 docking station can be used to sync without a serial cable, if that figures into your purchase.

Jake
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-06-14 10:46 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Actually I am using an IBM 330 with win95, but I should be putting windows 2000.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-06-15 10:48 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I recommend trying out Sigmarion 2 from Japan if you can find it. It can be modded to English via a MUI file.
The neat thing about this device and Sigmarion 1 is that it collaborated with Zero Halliburton, famous for aluminum case. (The Sigmarions are not made of metal though).

Jornada 720 is the most popular device around here in HPC:Factor. I have the Japanese version, I like it, but the formfactor is a little small for me.

Edited by stingraze 2022-06-15 10:49 AM
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-06-15 12:59 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I think it's not that easy to take. Maybe I'll take the HP Jornada 720 (The only thing that worries me is finding good batteries.).
But I also like the Sony Clie TJ-25 a lot.

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-06-15 1:14 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-06-15 9:58 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Batteries for these old devices is always an issue. There are a couple of good tear-down/replacement threads here. If need be, check them out and post any subsequent issue. We have some good hardware people here (I'm not one of them )

Jake
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-06-16 7:49 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Jake - 2022-06-15 9:58 PM

Batteries for these old devices is always an issue. There are a couple of good tear-down/replacement threads here. If need be, check them out and post any subsequent issue. We have some good hardware people here (I'm not one of them )

Jake

OK thank you very much! We will evaluate which product to take!
Another question. With this type of old batteries, what should I do? I know that for today's batteries (in this case mobile phones), it is advisable not to drop below 20% and not to exceed 80% of the charge, so as to preserve battery life. This greatly increases the life of the battery.
My question is the following, can you do these precautions even with these batteries, or is there the risk of the famous memory effect, so as to ruin the battery?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-06-16 8:57 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-06-16 10:01 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

C:Amie's write-up covers it all.

Also--these are li-on batteries, regardless of which device you buy, so memory effect is not an issue.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2022-06-16 10:02 PM
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-06-16 10:01 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Interesting! Do you know what type of battery the HP Jornada 720 has?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-06-16 10:03 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

li-on

Jake
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.199 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9