x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NVIDIA graphics cards

« Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-09-04 5:55 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Certainly seems like there is something in the registry that it solving the problem; which in turn is carried forward as Windows 9x upgrades didn't purge the registry like modern Windows upgrades do.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-09-20 12:46 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

You know, I forgot to inform you of one thing. Right in terms of information and curiosity.
Do you remember the problem of the ATI RADEON 7000 64mb?
Actually, before putting it back in the box, I discovered that the only operating system that can use this card is Windows 95. The only problem is restarting Windows, in fact if I restart the PC it freezes on a black screen, forcing me to turn it off manually.
BUT if you never reboot, Windows 95 works fine. From windows 98 onwards, the card does not work. The PC turns on, but the operating system does not boot.
It would be necessary to understand the Why of this strange problem. On Reboot, with WIndows 95 it is the only problem that prevents the operating system from starting.
Very strange on the other hand with subsequent operating systems, which do not even start.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-09-20 8:19 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Sounds like really terrible drivers.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-09-20 10:01 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2022-09-20 8:19 AM

Sounds like really terrible drivers.

Even without a driver the same problem occurs.
I don't think it's the drivers, but as you said in the past, it's an incompatibility of the video card and the motherboard.
Sure Windows 95 somehow bypasses this problem, but not on reboot.
I believe it is the RAM, 64mb is too much and bothers the motherboard. It's just my guess, this is because if you remember, I told you that the motherboard did not see the video card ram.
I remember you disagreed and said it was not possible, it was not the RAM that caused this problem.
Yet video cards with less than 64mb RAM, the motherboard can perfectly identify how much RAM they have.

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-09-20 10:06 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-09-20 10:16 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I think you are remembering that backwards because here on page 5 ( https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20554&st... ) I asked you to reduce the system RAM and explained what the memory address space limitation was on a 32-bit computer. The machine could have a limited address space allocated to plug-in cards or the entire system address space is limited (though your removing RAM would suggest that not the case).

The only reason why the system wouldn't boot without dedicated drivers installed - and it isn't a hardware problems - is because the generic VESA driver is incompatible with the vBIOS. Which in turn is a driver problem in its own right - just one causes by non-standard card implementation.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-09-20 7:06 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

In fact it had been done, as suggested but the problem remained.
The problem is understanding why WIndows 95 starts up without problems. Obviously, if there is no reboot, the pc works normally.
however, from Windows 98 onwards, the operating systems never boot!
I think there has been a deterioration from this point of view.
Also because even with the problem of the G450, which conflicts with the integrated video card, in windows 95 the problem does not arise, obviously doing a custom installation.
Windows 95 appears to have fewer problems and better handle video cards.
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 10