x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Back into the fold: MP790

torch Page Icon Posted 2022-07-04 6:20 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Of all of the Handheld PCs I've owned (Compaq 2010c/HP 360LX/Velo 1/Sylvania 7" CE6/MP790), one device stands out:

Let's go backwards in time:

2011: I hadn't had a license to drive yet, and I think it was Craigslist, I found a great deal on an NEC MobilePro 790. The screen was a little dark/burnt in, but it was a fun little device. Very comfortable.

2019: In the midst of some minor chaos/uprooting in my life, during my move, I threw out my MobilePro because it stopped working (I wish I had tried to fix it, but there was too much going on)

Anyway, 2022: I am proud to say I made an offer/got a fairly good deal on a 790 on eBay for $100 USD and am excited to receive it. I'll make sure to make a new post and add some pictures. It looked like it was in pretty good shape.

Anyway, I have some questions as well:

Is it worth it to get the Ethernet PC Card? If so, is there any ethernet card that sits almost flush into the device without the dongle cable? Otherwise, I was just going to snag one of the 3Coms I found on eBay

I also need to get a stylus and some sort of screen protector.

Also, any purpose to the VGA Cable?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2022-07-04 10:56 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

https://www.cftshops.com/pilot-t10mg-compact-tetherable-stylus/ sells a compatible stylus that will fit the Mobilepros.

Screen protector...hate them with resistive touchscreens.

VGA cable...no reason for it unless you want to display a 640 x 240 pixel screen on a vga monitor.

Ethernet cards can come in handy. Most hotels don't use wired ports these days. In times past they were great for travelers. The Socket LP/E pcmcia card sits flush without the dongel plugged in as several others such as the Xirconm. Personally I like wireless cards better.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-07-05 4:14 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Thank you!!
Also will this work to increase the RAM on the 790?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2022-07-05 1:00 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Ahhhh...the old ram increase from 32mb to 48mg...circa...2006?

Yup...should work...

https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4684&sta...
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-07-27 4:59 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Thank you for your help! I got my MobilePro 790 running with the RAM upgrade, I also bought the Ambicom Bluetooth CF Card + DLink 10mbit ethernet card that sits flush in the PC card slot. Also, the AA battery kit.
It's nice to have one again, I really missed my MP 790. It's such a great device. I also got that Handheld Resource CD too <3

Now I just need to figure out how to load in my contacts with a .csv file!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 8