x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

DVD playback software

I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2022-07-26 10:00 PM
#
Avatar image of I dunk for bananas
H/PC Elite

Howdy!
Does anyone know if software that allows playback of DVDs under CE is possible? There are instructions on how to create an application that allows for DVD playback in the Windows CE database by Microsoft, but there doesn't seem to be any software out there that actually allows for that!
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-07-27 9:53 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I am not an expert on this topic, but I think car makers use Windows CE for playback of DVD in cars. So it is possible for sure. The problem is, which software?

I researched a bit and there is a VLC Player for Windows CE that was experimental and discontinued. There are copies floating around, but not sure if it's good security wise. Also, I'm not really sure if VLC Player for Windows CE had DVD (MPEG-2) playback or not, more likely not since DVD needs license. (Yes, MPEG-2 license for VLC Player seems to be free but it seems this license thing is pretty complicated.)

Related URL:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/if-vlc-can-ship-a-free-dvd-player-why-...

I guess Windows CE was used as a core to run MPEG-2 decoding software for cars, but I never heard of playing DVDs directly from Windows CE. Usually you convert it using FFmpeg and other tools to a Windows CE playable format... And this whole gray area too.

Several year old thread about this topic, some info there.

Edited by stingraze 2022-07-27 10:02 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-07-27 2:55 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There was a company that did offer a DVD decoder for CE. I think it was OEM only though. I can't for the life of me remember their name, though I think it was one of the established players from back in the day.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.164 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 8