x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

x86 CE Thin Clients

1 2
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-08-28 4:46 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Is there any point/fun tinkering with those x86 CE Thin Clients? I've been on the fence for a bit.
I just thought they'd be fun to mess with, but I can't find any ARM CE Thin Clients (would be tool to toy with my Softmaker Office 2010 I had bought if it was ARM)
I know the software availability is pretty bad, but at least I'd have SpreadCE perhaps.
I was torn between the WYSE CE 6.0 or the old 2.12 NCD ThinStar.

I just wish I could find an ARM CE Thin Client (

Obviously, TFGBD is the x86 expert..
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2022-08-28 8:09 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Been the thin client route several times...always fun to play with. The older Softmaker Office that came in the AMD 50x15 is a version they released for the x86 machine. You can simply copy it to a flash drive and move it to a thin client. Works great...

I have owned multiple thin clients...and most HP versions will let you flash either CE or the downsized version of XP.

Anyways I have several posts here on HPCF detailing my experiences.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-08-29 8:24 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Thank you for your help! Yeah, I did see some of the threads you have. I'm particularly intrigued by your ActiveSync HP XPe thin client you had in some of your pictures.

That said, I can't deny I've been super intrigued/wanting to bite the bullet on the MP 900 on eBay. It is well loved, but the price is great!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265802908145?hash=item3de31681f1:g:7XYAAOSw...
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-08-30 6:00 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Ok. This one tickled my intrigue.

I think this one is like the one you have. So Textmaker would work on it? Have you tried the x86 release of SpreadCE?

Also if I were to buy it ( and only then. I wouldn’t make us add a million thin client models lol), could it be added to the device list to report compatibility?
Or what is the threshold for thin clients to be added? Just curious.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-08-30 8:36 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Don't forget to buy from our eBay link

There's no rule about thin clients. The ones we don't currently cover are hacked GPS appliances. We don't have any section for them.

If you want to do the leg work, I'm happy for you to be adding them.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-08-31 6:34 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I ordered it I wasn't sure if I could use the referral link if I was "making an offer". I messed that up. I'll try again next time, but I promise once my next checks clear later I'll re-up my donation!!

Anyway, I'll post updates as I get the device!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-09-01 8:58 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You can use the link generators on any eBay or Amazon link
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-09-07 5:03 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Perfect I’ll make sure next time
I got the thin client today. Is there a way to identify which version of CE 6.0 it’s running ? Like R1, 2, or 3?
There’s no version number in about other than 6.0 in the system settings. I wanted to submit it to you to add to the HPC Specs page
Edit: I think I figured it out, the spec page states CE6.0 R3

Edited by torch 2022-09-07 8:26 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-09-07 8:39 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You'll have to look at file properties and build numbers.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-09-07 8:44 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Will do, is there a template for adding it to the specs page? I was trying to do the work for you so you can just copy/paste it. Can I just go to a dummy page and copy / paste the table?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-09-07 10:11 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You may as well just add it directly
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2022-09-14 5:28 PM
#
Avatar image of I dunk for bananas
H/PC Elite

Been eyeing one of these, does anyone happen to know if those HP CE thin clients have persistent memory? And is it possible to expand the start menu? Seems pretty impoverished from what I've seen, and I like to have close to a default CE install as possible
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-09-14 6:57 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-09-14 7:09 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I dunk for bananas - 2022-09-14 9:28 AM

Been eyeing one of these, does anyone happen to know if those HP CE thin clients have persistent memory? And is it possible to expand the start menu? Seems pretty impoverished from what I've seen, and I like to have close to a default CE install as possible

It seems to have persistent memory as in the files stay on the desktop but if they were installed via cab, they’ll be in the start menu until you reboot in which case the shortcuts still appear but no longer work. I think there’s a way to “deploy” packages but I just prefer working with straight exes to begin with. If you get the 5540 the ROM images are online to reflash if something goes wrong. Plus I’ve been trying to add more compatibility. If you have any other questions let me know. If you want, when I get back from vacation I can make you a YouTube video with the functions you want to see and you can decide if it’s right for you.
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2022-09-14 8:08 PM
#
Avatar image of I dunk for bananas
H/PC Elite

torch - 2022-09-14 7:09 PM

I dunk for bananas - 2022-09-14 9:28 AM

It seems to have persistent memory as in the files stay on the desktop but if they were installed via cab, they’ll be in the start menu until you reboot in which case the shortcuts still appear but no longer work. I think there’s a way to “deploy” packages but I just prefer working with straight exes to begin with. If you get the 5540 the ROM images are online to reflash if something goes wrong. Plus I’ve been trying to add more compatibility. If you have any other questions let me know. If you want, when I get back from vacation I can make you a YouTube video with the functions you want to see and you can decide if it’s right for you.

Thank you very much for the detailed reply! I actually already have an HP thin client (a t5720), but it seems to only work with XPe. I've actually tried deploying CEPC images to that machine, but drivers support is very bad. That's why I'm tempted to get another thin client that was designed for CE specifically
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8