x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Digitizing the "Windows CE Developers Kit" book set

Karpour Page Icon Posted 2022-09-01 10:17 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

I recently acquired a copy of the 4-volume Windows CE developers kit book set (+CD) from Microsoft Press. It's like 1400 pages of Windows CE documentation!

Sadly the box has mold damage and the books have a smell that I won't ever get out. The pages look perfectly fine though.
So my thought was, it would probably be best to run these through a book scanner and preserve this box set on the internet archive.

My question: Does anyone have the possibility to use a book scanner or know places in the Netherlands or EU where I can do this for a reasonable price?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-09-01 12:16 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you are willing to destroy the book by de-binding it. Then you just need to heat the pages off of the glue binding (assuming it is a glue binding) and then can run them through a photo copier. It can be messy though.

There are archival services, but they won't be cheap!
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-09-01 9:58 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

If you're planning to digitize more books in the future there are a lot of book scanners in amazon.com

I think there used to be a lot more services that digitized books for you here in Japan, but much less now. Not sure about EU area.

Found this in EU area:
https://overnight-scanning.eu/book-digitization-service/

Not really sure about the legal stuff in EU...

Edited by stingraze 2022-09-01 9:59 PM
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2022-09-04 12:41 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

I checked overnight scanning, i simply typed in 1400 pages, comes to about 150€. Not the worst pricing, but also more than I was planning to spend.

As said, If anyone has any way of scanning these, I'll happily ship them, for free, to wherever
 Top of the page
null1024 Page Icon Posted 2022-09-05 12:04 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I'm curious, what's on the CD?
Also, non-destructive book scanning is inherently just kind of slow. I remember seeing some library somewhere had a setup with scanners in a /\ shape so you just laid the book on, hit scan, then turned the page, hit scan, repeat, but I dunno if anything like that is available for personal use (or if it's even like a product and not some custom one-off unit).
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2022-09-05 8:33 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

As said, the book is smelly (which is why it's standing outside), it was both in a smoky and moldy environment I guess. The pages are perfectly fine though, optically the books are in very good condition.
Either way, destructive scanning would be no issue for me. I'd rather have them preserved that way.

I also reached out to John K on Twitter, who you might know from Sticky Software titles. He went on to work in the Windows documentation team, so I asked him whether he knew of a way to get digital versions of these books, maybe I'll get lucky.

[edit] I'll archive the CD on archive.org asap!

Edited by Karpour 2022-09-05 8:34 PM
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2022-09-11 7:15 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

The CD came with some help files, the installer for the HPC/Pro SDK and code samples. Since the code samples are the most interesting thing, I have uploaded them to GitHub

https://github.com/HPC-Factor/windows-ce-developers-kit-code-samples
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-09-12 7:28 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Nice!
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-04-06 7:10 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Hey I’m sorry to resurrect the thread but I had a few questions about this :
@Karpour
1-you mentioned the CDs have the SDKs. Any chance the Japanese language ones are on there? I realize the likelihood is slim. Just wanted to ask. The file names were:
HPC30-J.exe
HPC2K-SDK_JPN.exe
2-the Amazon listing here includes the following tidbit about having ebook versions of all of the titles (not sure if it’s a typo or if your edition was missing a disc)

This four-volume set provides everything a developer needs to begin writing applications for the Microsoft Windows CE operating system and the ever-expanding range of devices it supports. Text resources include ""Microsoft Windows CE Programmer's Guide, 2nd Ed., User Interface Services Guide, Communications Guide"" and ""Device Driver Kit"". The CD includes the e-book versions of all four titles.

Edited by torch 2024-04-06 7:11 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 9