x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows 2000 abnormal behavior

« Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-12-05 10:48 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Your machine is very underpowered. Millennium only requires the higher on-paper specifications for the multimedia functionality. The base OS requirements are no different than 98. Windows 2000 makes use of CPU architectural functionality from newer, more powerful processors that yours doesn't have. So it has to wait for them to be executed through slower pipelines. It is no surprise to me that there are some things it struggles with it. I did tell you this.

Try uninstalling office and reinstall just works, no optional features, the smallest install you can select from the custom install screen - none of the sub components of Word either. Patch it to SP3 and see if it behaves itself afterwards.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-12-05 11:10 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Ok, done everything as you advised....it got worse.... now without doing anything, it closes extremely slowly.

Ok, I correct myself, the problem only did it the first time.
Now only the problem of saving the document remains. If I save and then close, word takes forever to close.

Winword.exe and explorer.exe are 100% CPU intensive

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-12-05 11:18 AM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-12-06 3:38 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Ok, I haven’t read all of the posts but I came up with an idea. I’m sorry if it’s been thought of
Have you both tried disabling start / auto run all windows 2000 services that aren’t needed at all?
I wonder if that would help a tiny bit with the cpu being overloaded.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-12-06 7:30 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

torch - 2022-12-06 3:38 AM

Ok, I haven’t read all of the posts but I came up with an idea. I’m sorry if it’s been thought of
Have you both tried disabling start / auto run all windows 2000 services that aren’t needed at all?
I wonder if that would help a tiny bit with the cpu being overloaded.

Already done. To get Windows 2000 to run decently on this PC, I've optimized everything as much as possible.
Either way, it doesn't matter anymore. I am using Atlantis Word Processor. I'm fine with that. I've been working on this PC for months. I'm fed up, it's time to use it!

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-12-06 7:31 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-12-06 8:41 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

NarakuITA - 2022-12-05 11:10 AM

Ok, done everything as you advised....it got worse.... now without doing anything, it closes extremely slowly.

Ok, I correct myself, the problem only did it the first time.
Now only the problem of saving the document remains. If I save and then close, word takes forever to close.

Winword.exe and explorer.exe are 100% CPU intensive
What happens if you close without saving i.e. is the problem saving or closing? What if you open and then immediately close without changing anything?
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-12-06 10:32 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

If I don't edit the document, and I don't save the document, Word closes right away/normally.
The problem of closing is related to saving the document. If I save the document, it is saved immediately, but then if I try to close word, it doesn't close immediately, but more or less 60 seconds pass.
Indeed I will be precise, if I save, the process Word works at 100%, if I wait a minute, the process will return to normal and I will be able to close word immediately.
If I don't wait, and try to close word, will close only when the process has finished whatever it is doing, after saving the document.

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-12-06 10:38 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-12-06 10:49 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Okay, so it is the save process. What happens if you save as RTF instead of DOC?

Have you installed the Office Compatibility Pack by any chance?
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-12-06 12:53 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Thank you for the help. But I uninstalled Word. I don't care to use it anymore. Now I'm using the other program.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-12-06 2:27 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Right you are
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 8