x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Zoom issues with a component video to VGA converter

I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2022-09-15 8:30 PM
#
Avatar image of I dunk for bananas
H/PC Elite

So I have what's basically a CE desktop computer, but it only has component video out (the yellow round plug). My monitor only has VGA inputs. To deal with that issue I got myself one of these:

Unfortunately, the resulting image is somewhat zoomed in, cutting off at least half of the task bar and making parts of text cut off. This issue does not exist when I connect the computer to a TV, so I'm presuming the converter has a built in overscan zoom that cannot be disabled.
Could this perhaps somehow be mitigated, or does anyone know of such a converter that doesn't forcibly zoom in the image?

Thank you

Attached is what it looks like on my monitor:

(IMG_20220915_2036402.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_20220915_2036402.jpg (58KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
null1024 Page Icon Posted 2022-09-16 5:01 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

You might just be unlucky with the unit you got. I've seen a bunch of variations on these a while back, some with a row of dip switches to configure options, some with buttons to edit the settings in a menu, etc.
Sadly, I don't know of a specific good one right now.
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2022-09-22 7:47 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I bought another one and tried it out, and it's ... marginally less zoomed in, but parts are still cut off. Disappointing
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-09-23 5:37 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I just thought of something. Have you tried the settings on your monitor itself? Usually there’s picture crop settings ?
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2022-09-23 7:15 PM
#
H/PC Elite

torch - 2022-09-23 5:37 PM

I just thought of something. Have you tried the settings on your monitor itself? Usually there’s picture crop settings ?

It's definitely not the monitor itself sadly, it's cut off at the converter stage. But thank you anyway
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-09-24 9:06 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I just thought about something, but not trying to waste your money.
It looks like your device has a SCART port (which I think is Europe's equivalent to the RGB RCA cables that we have in North America - which we call component video)
I wonder if a SCART to VGA adapter would work and fix the overscan issue. But I don't know if it's cost prohibitive. I'm just trying to brainstorm.
Or: do you have a TV or monitor with a SCART port?
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2022-09-25 9:43 PM
#
H/PC Elite

torch - 2022-09-24 9:06 PM

I just thought about something, but not trying to waste your money.
It looks like your device has a SCART port (which I think is Europe's equivalent to the RGB RCA cables that we have in North America - which we call component video)
I wonder if a SCART to VGA adapter would work and fix the overscan issue. But I don't know if it's cost prohibitive. I'm just trying to brainstorm.
Or: do you have a TV or monitor with a SCART port?

I actually got myself a SCART to component adapter and tried plugging that into the VGA converter, but it's just the exact same image
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 11