x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NEC MobilePro 770 troubleshooting/disassembly

pupdeg Page Icon Posted 2022-10-04 3:27 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Picked up a 770 cheap, non-working, no lights. Can't find good specs for the charger, but it seems to be a 9V center positive, plugging one in the right size doesn't do anything. Battery is locked in so I don't think that's preventing power, and I did some poking around with a multimeter. Found multiple points of continuity to both the battery terminals and the dock port underneath from the ground on the 9V input, but I can't seem to find anything with continuity to center pin (I thought at least the dock connector might be used for charging so one of those pins should have continuity). I'm assuming maybe there's something wrong with the power input side so I want to open it up and take a look, but I can't find anything but a guide for the 900 which seems to be constructed differently to the 700 series when it comes to the hinges, they don't seem to come off from the top. and I don't want to wind up ripping the LCD ribbon cable.

Anyone know how to take apart a 770? Or the 780/790, I imagine they're built the same way.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-10-04 4:04 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Hi welcome to HPc:Factor.

I don’t have any experience disassembling but I found this for you in the database

NEC Mobilepro 7X0 Repair Guide

Go to HPC Update for your model, then select documentation and there should be a repair guide listed.

https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/update/

Edit: Fixed Link. Sorry

Edited by torch 2022-10-04 4:16 PM
 Top of the page
pupdeg Page Icon Posted 2022-10-04 5:18 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks, couldn't find that on first look. The backup battery is totally dead, but I'm pretty sure I should be getting some kind of indication even without it, so it's not worth replacing yet. Board looks fine, no corrosion so it's still a mystery as to what's wrong with it.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2022-10-04 6:45 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

My experience...if getting power to motherboard but no led lighting up on the right front edge...bad motherboard...even if it looks pristine...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-10-04 7:23 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to Hardware support
 Top of the page
pupdeg Page Icon Posted 2022-10-04 7:43 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Rich Hawley - 2022-10-04 6:45 PM

My experience...if getting power to motherboard but no led lighting up on the right front edge...bad motherboard...even if it looks pristine...

Seems the most likely. I cracked open the battery pack, they're down to just above 2.5V so they're pretty dead, I'll try charging them externally tomorrow and if that won't I'll swap them out with some known good cells from elsewhere. Probably won't make a difference, but I might as well try it.
 Top of the page
pupdeg Page Icon Posted 2022-10-05 7:47 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hooked up some AAs I had lying around as the battery pack was very simple, just positive one side and negative the other, but no luck. 7.2V across the terminals dropped to 4.5 so something was getting power, but no lights, no response.

Guess I'll try a new motherboard at some point, but the only place that has them is in the US, and the shipping alone is 60 bucks, which is a big ask when I don't even know if the screen, ROM and RAM are still good. For now I'm throwing in the towel. Really nice keyboard on this though, better than any other laptop I've tried despite being 92%.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9