x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

PVB Visual Basic Runtime MobilePro 900

1 2 3 4
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2022-10-13 10:04 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

For the BE-300/500, the H/PC 2000 version was what I had in mind in my last post. That version works best with the 240x320 portrait display, even with VB apps written for Pocket PCs. But for those one would still need to add MSCEMenuBar.dll from the Pocket PC version to make menus work in conjunction with aygshell.dll. (And even then only Dic's 22k aygshell for MIPS seems to produce working menus in conjunction with MSCEMenuBar.dll.)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-11-08 2:07 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

torch - 2022-10-12 5:11 PM

I tried installing the CE2.0 on my MobilePro 790 (without replacing the .dll files) but it hung at the "Creating Registry" part so I soft reset it. tried going into \Windows and trying the pvbload prog but it just hangs.

Coming back to this as I am conscious that we need to work out which dll registration is hanging as all of those cab's will be doing it.

Attached are the HPC2000 MIPS dll's in individual cab's. Could you please let me know which cause the problem in creating registry and which do not. Thanks
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-11-24 6:53 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I haven't been able to try it out yet, but I will soon!

Also:
thenzero found some software for me to add to the SCL, but the extension for the pocket vb is funky. (it's from an HPC Magazine demo CD)
Here's an example file name:
Do I need to rename the extension or just upload as is? It's more of Vicent Colura's PVB progs (I'll make sure I don't upload duplicates)

Edited by torch 2022-11-24 6:54 AM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ChequeBook.pvb..pv (11KB - 2 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2022-11-25 3:34 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That's probably a typo. Some of Vincent Collura's apps have the .pvb extension on the end twice for some reason, and it's written just like that except with a 'b' at the very end (ChequeBook.pvb..pvb). Just add that last 'b' before uploading them.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-11-25 4:13 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I have used my Debian Terminal to print out the strings inside. Here is the screenshot of it.
I believe that proves it is indeed .pvb. I have looked in side .pvb before and it looked similar.

Edited by stingraze 2022-11-25 4:15 AM

(screenshot-pvb.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments screenshot-pvb.jpg (82KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-11-25 4:15 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

CE Geek: Thank you! I corrected them and added to the SCL

Stingraze: That's awesome! I didn't know you could do that. I love Debian! aha
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-11-25 4:16 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

yeah, I just used "cat" command.
I think sometimes a command called "strings" is useful to see what kind of strings are in a binary etc., but it wasn't useful for this.

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2022-11-25 4:17 AM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-11-28 9:41 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

C:Amie - 2022-11-08 7:07 AM

torch - 2022-10-12 5:11 PM

I tried installing the CE2.0 on my MobilePro 790 (without replacing the .dll files) but it hung at the "Creating Registry" part so I soft reset it. tried going into \Windows and trying the pvbload prog but it just hangs.

Coming back to this as I am conscious that we need to work out which dll registration is hanging as all of those cab's will be doing it.

Attached are the HPC2000 MIPS dll's in individual cab's. Could you please let me know which cause the problem in creating registry and which do not. Thanks

They all worked when I did it this way, but I did a "dirty" install, wherein I just overwrote everything-- but all cabs completed successfully. (If you prefer I can hard reset my 790 and try them all again! It's no trouble)
Now I went into \Windows and double tapped pvb.exe, but it keeps hanging with hourglass
Is there a further step to actually get a .pvb file to work?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2022-11-29 4:20 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Check the registry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. I've found that sometimes the registry entries don't come out the way they're supposed to:

https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=10382

It's also important that no eMbedded Visual Basic for 2.11/3.0 components are preinstalled on the 790. While you're in HKCR, check to make sure there isn't a key for .vb.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-21 4:19 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Okay, while I was trying to get VB (Not PVB) working on x86, I came up with an idea for this thread.
Also, sorry for delay.
C:Amie-what are the exact cabs for PVB (NOT VB support)?

Because, for example, when I install Citgo's VB programs on my 790 and I click yes to replace the vb dlls, it doesn't work-the vb file doesn't open. BUT
If I simply click no to replacing the cabs, the program works (thus using the 790's built-in dlls to the ROM)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-01-21 3:24 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Let's take this back to basic.

Comments on this please:
https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200272/understanding_visual_b...

We need to know which DLL's in the above attachments are causing registration errors so that the CAB installer won't hang. Testers please.
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2023-01-21 4:04 PM
#
Avatar image of I dunk for bananas
H/PC Elite

@torch, I tried what you suggested in the x86 thread, but the PoQuickPro cab doesn't want to install on my device, so I had to extract the files from it manually, there don't seem to be any registry entries created by it. When I install the runtime afterwards and try to run PoQuickPro.vb, it tells me "The control picSplash {...} could not be created."
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-21 4:25 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

C:Amie - 2023-01-21 8:24 AM

Let's take this back to basic.

Comments on this please:
https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200272/understanding_visual_b...

We need to know which DLL's in the above attachments are causing registration errors so that the CAB installer won't hang. Testers please.

yes, but they point I'm making is:
Okay, remember the cabs for some CE Visual Basic 2.0 programs will prompt to install the runtime dlls?
On my 790 if I do this, because the runtime files are already in ROM, the installer completes/overwrites it (if I say yes to that screen), and I'm unable to run VB runtime programs until I hard reset.

Are the CE Runtime 1.0 and 2.0 dll files mixed or are they separate?
1- Meaning, can we filter out the 1.0 dlls and just install those for users like me that the files are already in rom?

Or:
2-am I misunderstanding how they intermingle and we have to tackle the reason that the dll overwriting doesn't work
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-01-22 12:21 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Well no, if they are in ROM we need a runtime installer that is set not to overwrite the existing DLL and users need to be warned not to overwrite if that is the case (though it is strange and I'd be more interested in finding out why it is breaking).

My guess is that while CEVB 1 and 2 use different file handler .exe's they both use the same component DLL's e.g. MSCEComDlg.dll or VBSCRIPT.DLL. They are likely totally incompatible and causing this problem.

The test would be:
If you over install a CE3 VB runtime bundled app it will work fine (are there any?)
If you over install a CE2.11 VB runtime bundled app it may become defective (most CE3 DLL'S are bigger and newer)
If you over install a CE2 PVB runtime bundled app, it will break

If this is the case, my plan to release a single runtime CAB (a la .net CF) makes more sense and we would have to remove the VB runtimes from existing CAB installers to clean up the mess.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-22 4:41 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Ok. I have an idea and let me now what you think.
Your HPC2000 individual cabs:
I’ll :
Install each one individually and separately , and checking that .vb programs still load, hard reset, rinse repeat.
Then we can figure out which cab is problematic ?
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 56 - Executed queries : 27