x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Curating new SCL discoveries or Upload All?

torch Page Icon Posted 2022-10-16 10:29 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

So, I’m still finding new programs to add to our SCL. But, I had a philosophical question.

Is it best to:
1-curate our selection of titles that can be construed as useful
2-upload everything I find

I’m leaning toward option 1 even if I’m pretty loose on what’s useful.

For example, I found about 20 health / medical programs listed on the old j7xx site, but like, I don’t think any of those are particularly useful for anyone. It’s one thing if it’s some kind of medication or health log app but like specific diseases / medical pill dosing I don’t think needs to be in the SCL. I mean obviously it’s out of date but I think it’s just a waste of HPc:Factor’s valuable server space to waste on some of these programs. Particularly if they’re paid ones.

Obviously if I have second thoughts or want to double check I’ll always keep C:Amie in the loop for his final say. I just wanted to make an open discussion and see what people thought.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-10-17 9:14 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I don't mind them being put in for completeness. It is really a matter of how far your energies will stretch. The vast majority of apps in the SCL have zero downloads, that's just the way it is. So unless they are massive file sizes, I'm not going to worry about it.
phoenixfireva Page Icon Posted 2022-10-18 5:51 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Just my two cents as a new member, I think that your rationale for option one is good. If they are clearly out of date information and payware then I don't see the need to muddy up the SCL. But I agree on being "loose" with definition of useful.

torch Page Icon Posted 2022-10-18 11:41 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Thank you both for the input. I did some thinking and maybe there’s an option three?

There’s going to come a point where my scavenger hunt will end and I won’t be able to find any more programs to add to the SCL. When that moment happens, I’ll add those health programs / superfluous programs eventually, but I’ll focus on anything popular, stands out, quirky, useful, etc until then.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-10-20 6:00 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Fair enough
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 56 - Executed queries : 15