x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Spanish / Chinese / Other Language CE Programs

torch Page Icon Posted 2022-11-02 5:48 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I've hit a gold mine, so to speak with all of the Japanese programs for Windows CE.

But, Spanish / Chinese programs I'm finding hard to find.
Is it because they were too niche, or I'm not finding them in my searching?

I'm particularly interested in anything from Taiwan / Hong Kong (Chinese)
as well as anything in Spanish

But generally, if there's any other language programs for Windows CE H/PCs not in the SCL, let me know here. I'm interested in adding all we can find.
 Top of the page
Dr.Quest Page Icon Posted 2023-01-10 11:26 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

There are Simplified Chinese version Jornada 688 (680 w/Chinese ROM) and Jornada 720. Personally, I had a 688 back in 2005~2006, and 720 is much harder to find.

I remember I also had an Viewsonic ViewPad 100 (same hardware to Airpanel 100) with Chinese Windows CE 3.0.
Since I was live in China Mainland, most machine I've got is Simplified Chinese rather the Traditional Chinese version sold in Taiwan or Hong Kong.

Honest say, these Chinese Handheld PC never get popular because they are too expensive for Chinese hobbyists even in mid-2000s. As I know, most H/PC fans in China mainland are using retried Japanese NEC MobileGears because these machines are imported as e-waste and a lot of them are still usable/fixable.

Tweak English or Japanese H/PC to support Chinese are pretty easy, just copy the TTF fonts, NLS file into Windows directory, then change some registry keys, then all Chinese apps are running without any problem. Also, with CE-Star, or PKey, which initially developed for PocketPostPet, we can also get Chinese IME for the non-Chinese H/PC.

I was written some articles to introduce the Windows CE (except PocketPC) community in China, and mentioned some software by Chinese developers, like JFDict and MDict, these articles are Chinese, you can try to read them with Google translate:

The first teacher of the Chinese smartphone community: Casio MC-21 (Toricomail)
https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/24953799
The first teacher of the Chinese laptop community: Handheld PC
https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/35018429

(Jornada 002.jpg)

(dr_quest,20050627203316.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Jornada 002.jpg (92KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments dr_quest,20050627203316.jpg (36KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-11 6:45 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

That’s a great find and write up !! Thank you for this. I want to do more research and try and add more titles to the SCL from those suggestions you posted. (I’ll give you credit when I do)

Welcome to the forum by the way! (As your first post. Obviously you’ve been a member for over 10 years! That’s a great feat)

Edited by torch 2023-01-11 6:47 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 11