x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

optimizing internal storage?

1 2
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2022-11-15 11:52 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I'm installing a bunch of stuff from the SCL (awesome, btw!) on my MobilePro 780 and running out of space fast. Just curious what other folks do to mitigate storage issues. Install direct to CF card? Something else?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-11-16 12:59 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Highly recommend this if you don’t have it already. Makes my 790 amazing. I have 48mb ram now total.
If you do buy make sure to buy from that link because it helps support hpcfactor. Also I’ve bought multiple items from this seller before. They’re amazing
Edit I think the 780 has less ram than the 790 so you’ll probably go from 16 to 32mb ram instead of me to 48mb? I could be wrong just going off of memory

Edited by torch 2022-11-16 1:45 AM
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2022-11-16 2:41 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I currently have 32mb and there's a card in the ram slot so I'm thinking it's maxed out. By the way what allocation do you go with? Right now I have it set at 16mb storage and 16mb memory...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2022-11-16 8:13 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Someone's not checking "Devices and Specifications." The 780 has the same RAM as the 790. Check your own RAM, torch.

Wow, AlanComputech is still around and still selling those RAM expansion modules. Not a bad price either. I'll always recommend adding RAM when you can do it seamlessly like this (though you must disconnect the batteries first before installation), but nearly everything that can be run in Windows CE 2.11 can be run from the Storage Card.
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2022-11-17 4:26 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Yeah but doesn't the 790 have an extra 16mb of storage that isn't ram? I think that's what torch was referring to but I could be mistaken as I don't have one myself.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-11-17 7:55 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

No. I was incorrect. CE Geek is correct on that point. The 780 and 790 have identical base ram. The 790 has an 8MB non volatile partition that doesn’t get erased when the device reboots. So you’ll be able to add that 16mb upgrade module like me and then have 48mb of ram as well.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-11-17 9:36 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I seldom installed anything to internal storage unless it absolutely had to be (i.e. DLL, driver). I'd backup the entire system registry to the CF card and copy the start menu over too. That way every time I had to hard reset I simply had to copy back the start menu, install drivers, install TRE, reintroduce the registry file and everything 'just worked' again after a soft reset.
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2022-11-17 2:25 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

torch - 2022-11-17 7:55 AM

No. I was incorrect. CE Geek is correct on that point. The 780 and 790 have identical base ram. The 790 has an 8MB non volatile partition that doesn’t get erased when the device reboots. So you’ll be able to add that 16mb upgrade module like me and then have 48mb of ram as well.

Well, now I'm confused. The HPCFactor specs state that the MobilePro 790 PSA is 16MB, not 8MB.

If you have 48MB of RAM then maybe something is wrong with my expansion card, because my unit has one, but I only show 32MB. I'll try re-seating it.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-11-17 2:28 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I didn’t mean to create confusion. I was going off what I remembered. The specs page will be correct.
I missed the part where you said you had an expansion card installed. Again I apologize.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-11-17 2:34 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Ok here’s how I caused confusion in the first place. Here’s another difference between the 780 and 790

The 790 hosts an additional unused RAM slot underneath the ROM cover that may be populated with the 780's RAM card for an additional 16MB of memory bringing the total RAM to 48MB + 14MB (useable) internal flash RAM.

Ignore what I said about buying the RAM because what I did doesn’t apply to your model. Again I’m sorry I didn’t realize there were more differences
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2022-11-17 2:38 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

OK- looking closer at the chip, I think I get it now. It comes with a 16MB card and you can upgrade to a 32MB card. Sorry for being dense.

I think that also means that your link up thread was to a replacement, not an upgrade...?

Edit: Just read your response. Thank you for the clarification. There seems to also be a 32MB card available...would that push me up to 48MB?

Edited by thenzero 2022-11-17 2:39 PM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-11-17 2:40 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

No it’s my fault for causing confusion. It can be used as an “upgrade” for me but not for you.
You have the highest memory you can possibly get (32mb). So don’t buy that card.
Mine has an extra slot to add 48mb total. Yours does not
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-11-17 2:41 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Oh I don’t know then actually I just was afraid of you buying something that doesn’t work for you. I’ll defer to the experts on this since I’m honestly unsure.

in regards to 32mb chip I mean
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2022-11-17 2:44 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Well, looking closer the 32MB chip I was looking at appears to be for the 770/800 but not the 780/790, so never mind!
 Top of the page
null1024 Page Icon Posted 2022-11-17 5:36 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

On my devices, I try and install as much as I can onto the CF card -- this often doesn't work due to hardcoded path expectations and you might still need to copy some files back onto the internal RAM disk, but you can totally just go pick up a 2GB CF card or whatever (or more if your device is new enough!) right now.
Also, increasing the disk partition of RAM to be larger always helps -- open up as much stuff as you usually do on the device at once, then do the adjustment.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9