x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

dumprom.exe setting the machine type to MIPS

I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2022-11-17 11:32 PM
#
Avatar image of I dunk for bananas
H/PC Elite

I'm trying to dump an x86 nk.bin, but dumprom.exe from the nkbin-toolset changes the machine type to MIPS 4k for each single PE file, rendering them useless. Are there any ways to extract an nk.bin image that actually work?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-11-17 11:48 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Unrelated note, is there a way to dump nk bin files if the OS hasn’t fully loaded
Or can’t because of lack of drivers?
I’m harkening back to that 5.0 x86 image not giving us that nk bin file for my t5540
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2022-11-18 2:15 PM
#
H/PC Elite

torch - 2022-11-17 11:48 PM

Unrelated note, is there a way to dump nk bin files if the OS hasn’t fully loaded
Or can’t because of lack of drivers?
I’m harkening back to that 5.0 x86 image not giving us that nk bin file for my t5540

I'm just so confused because the .bin file has to be somewhere, it's not like the device is booting from thin air
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-11-18 2:25 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

An nk.bin does not have be be sitting on a readable file system somewhere. It could be in a ROM or NVRAM module and is accessed via memory address, not file system path. It all depends on the device and intention of the OEM.

As for the PE header, is it literally just writing the wrong architecture into the PE header? If it is, try changing it by hand:
https://www.hpcfactor.com/support%2Fcesd%2F200268%2Fusing%5Fa%5Fhex%...
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2022-11-18 2:37 PM
#
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2022-11-18 2:25 PM

An nk.bin does not have be be sitting on a readable file system somewhere. It could be in a ROM or NVRAM module and is accessed via memory address, not file system path. It all depends on the device and intention of the OEM.

I wouldn't really expect it to be that way for an HP thin client since those are pretty much standard PC hardware

As for the PE header, is it literally just writing the wrong architecture into the PE header? If it is, try changing it by hand:

I was actually trying that with CFF Explorer last night, but it still gave me the "not a Windows CE executable" error sadly, I might try the method you listed but I think it'd do the same thing as CFF
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 8