x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me…

1 2
ntware Page Icon Posted 2022-11-19 4:56 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Hello friends,

It’s that time of year again! I have this tradition where every year I secretly buy myself something I want dearly and hide among the presents under the tree. On Christmas Day while opening the presents I put a fake surprise face and pretend mine came straight from Santa himself as no one knows who bought it. The kids love it and I love it too.

So, with that being said, I’m now secretly looking for something exquisite to buy. Last year, as you all know ( https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20352&st... ), Santa gifted me an HP 200lx. That was my fist DOS handheld and I loved it!! I didn’t think I would like it that much. It is such a nice device, being a truly pocketable x86 machine from the 90s.

Now I’m looking for something else to get, maybe another monochrome device. I would love a 386-based handheld if that exists, as that would feel like a 200lx on steroids. I’m open even to 90s laptops in small packages. Libretto maybe? I found some Japanese units but they are impossible to find on eBay. Any hints? If that’s not feasible, I’m open to any other suggestions, really. I will leave the list of devices I already own so you don’t recommend duplicates for my collection:

Jornada 720 (brand new, my favorite)
HP 320lx with WinCE 2.0
HP 200lx
Casio PB-2000C
Sigmarion III (a gift from an HPC:Factor friend ?? )
Sony Vaio P
Gemini
Palm M515
Palm Tungsten T3

So, based on the devices I own, do you guys have any recommendations? I’m open to surprises
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-11-19 6:27 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

If you like interesting device, IBM PC 110 is good too.
CPU: i486SX-33MHz
I think it's really difficult to buy one that works though, and it is very pricey if it is still working.

Libretto is really nice I recommend getting it if you like ones that run Windows 95, or even newer ones, that run Windows 7 with dual touch screen. (Libretto W100)

Edited by stingraze 2022-11-19 8:37 AM
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2022-11-19 1:19 PM
#
H/PC Elite

PC 110 looks cool, but wow!! This thing is EXPENSIVE!
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-11-19 10:00 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
$2500usd does seem pretty, pretty high. On the other hand, if one has won the lottery, the seller does have a unique machine. I've never seen one of those in the flesh.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-11-19 10:02 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Omnibook 300 or 425? Runs on 4 AA batteries, if you muster the fortitude to go back to Win3.1.

Jake
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2022-11-19 11:32 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

stingraze - 2022-11-18 10:27 PM

I think it's really difficult to buy one that works though, and it is very pricey if it is still working.

Libretto is really nice I recommend getting it if you like ones that run Windows 95, or even newer ones, that run Windows 7 with dual touch screen. (Libretto W100)

I had one for a while about 15 years ago...was very cool.....

But sold it after a bit.....

And for a lot less than they go for now....

Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2022-11-20 2:48 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Jake - 2022-11-19 5:02 PM

Omnibook 300 or 425? Runs on 4 AA batteries, if you muster the fortitude to go back to Win3.1.

Jake

Oh my… Jake, your suggestion is absolutely amazing! I can’t believe I haven’t come across this device before. It looks like a 200lx big brother. Windows 3.1 is my favorite retro OS of all time, probably because it was the OS most people had when I started playing with computers as a kid. I would LOVE if Santa could bring me that, but the only listing I found on eBay is broken. It seems to be in pretty good condition, but it is really a bet, it might be impossible to fix internally.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-11-20 2:25 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

It's exactly 200LX's elder. Even has the same CPACK software built-in. A somewhat stripped down Word 2.0/Excel also in ROM. Word 2.0 does hold up in current times and with a MS file conversion pack, you can save in Word 2.0 for easy swapping.

Hard to find these things, though, and veterans say don't go past model 425. No AA batteries and HP sold Omnibook to a company that ran it into the ground.

Jake
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2022-11-21 9:10 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I'm almost buying that broken Omnibook 300 from eBay in the hope it is going to be an easy fix. Before I do that, any other suggestions? The omnibook seems like a perfect device for Santa this year, but in case I can't grab that I wanted a plan B. Any other WinCE / DOS-palmtops favorites?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-11-21 10:26 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I just looked at that 300. Man, I think that machine is seriously broken; seller seems to have run the gamut on trying to power it on. Bidding is now pushing $175usd w/ shipping. Seems an expensive risk unless you have parts available.

Jake
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2022-11-22 3:53 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

How about a little (relatively speaking...) Poqet PC?

XT-compatible.....DOS.....

What more could you want?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbrljiF1yqE

Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-11-22 9:21 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

ArchiMark - 2022-11-20 8:32 AM

stingraze - 2022-11-18 10:27 PM

I had one for a while about 15 years ago...was very cool.....

But sold it after a bit.....

And for a lot less than they go for now....

Ah, you mean the IBM PC 110? Yeah. Quite a bit of a collector’s item now.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2022-11-22 3:38 PM
#
H/PC Elite

ArchiMark - 2022-11-21 10:53 PM

How about a little (relatively speaking...) Poqet PC?

XT-compatible.....DOS.....

What more could you want?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbrljiF1yqE

I've seen the Poqet PC before, but this one is even harder to find. There are absolutely no references for it anywhere (for buying). I'm almost giving up on trying to find a good DOS palmtop. What about WinCE devices? Any recommendations for exquisite devices, something outside of the traditional Jornada 720 and Mobilepro 900C?
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2022-11-22 3:45 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Quick update, I also found a few samples of the Tindalwave pocket pc palmtops on eBay, like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/295339278464 . But they are very overpriced for what they offer. It is mostly a 200lx with a better keyboard, so I don't think it is worth the hassle...
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2022-11-22 8:12 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

How about a Sharp Zaurus?

There were the models that came out in the early 2000's that had Linux base OS....and you could flash different ROMs on them...had a lot of fun with that....I really liked the clamshell models that fit in your shirt pocket....I'd still have one if they had a larger display for my old eyes....

I recently picked up the older Zaurus, a ZR-5800 for fun....it's from 1996....quite good actually....
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 55 - Executed queries : 27