x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Modern computer with form factor like the MobilePro?

thenzero Page Icon Posted 2022-11-28 6:54 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I remember coming across an article just a few weeks ago about a device that had the same form factor as the MobilePro/Jornada/Psion 5/etc with the clamshell screen and the (nearly) full size keys etc. I believe it was stated to run Android or Linux. I've seen the GPD Pocket and I don't think that's the one I'm thinking of. Anybody have any idea what it is? Or know of any others?

Edit: Found it! Haha https://www.www3.planetcom.co.uk/gemini-pda

Edited by thenzero 2022-11-28 6:55 PM
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2023-02-02 12:40 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I have to say, that it costs quite a lot, but it is interesting.
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-02-02 2:32 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

The Gemini is down to $500USD at this point. Considering it takes a sim card (and so could be looked at as a phone replacement), I think that's pretty reasonable...certainly less than an iphone and you get a pocket computer with a keyboard! I don't know how the phone experience actually is though...I wonder if someone who owns one here on the forum could talk about it a bit...?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-02-02 4:53 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I used to have the next iteration, called Planet Computers Cosmo Communicator.
It was a pretty good device, but the keyboard which is like PSION needs getting used to. I guess people who get used to typing on it can type fast, but with my experience, the experience wasn't too good.

I now have the PinePhone 3GB RAM now with a keyboard. It is not much better in typing compared to Sigmarion 3, but it has a Linux operating system (based on postmarket OS which is based on Alpine Linux).

Last I tried with PinePhone 3GB, it takes a lot of tweaking to get it connected to 4G network on my SIM.

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2023-02-02 5:01 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-02-02 6:56 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

And I have the PC Astro Slide for the past 6 months....

prior to that the Cosmo....

and prior to that the Gemini....

Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-02-02 4:40 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

stingraze - 2023-02-01 8:53 PM

I used to have the next iteration, called Planet Computers Cosmo Communicator.
It was a pretty good device, but the keyboard which is like PSION needs getting used to. I guess people who get used to typing on it can type fast, but with my experience, the experience wasn't too good.

I now have the PinePhone 3GB RAM now with a keyboard. It is not much better in typing compared to Sigmarion 3, but it has a Linux operating system (based on postmarket OS which is based on Alpine Linux).

Last I tried with PinePhone 3GB, it takes a lot of tweaking to get it connected to 4G network on my SIM.

-stingraze

How do you compare the Cosmo to the PinePhone, stingraze?

Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2023-02-02 7:23 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

...and don't forget the GPD Pocket 3.

It is bigger than the Planetcom products but more usable and like the NECs formfactor.
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-02-02 10:52 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

@dl1av that's so awesome
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-02-03 12:15 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

ArchiMark - 2023-02-03 1:40 AM

How do you compare the Cosmo to the PinePhone, stingraze?

Hi. Thank you for asking.

Well, the build is certainly better on the Cosmo, I must say especially I used to like the OLED small screen on the top part in Cosmo.
However, the feel that I can have a device that I can customize if I want, and something that is really community driven is nice. I also like the feature that you can turn off radio if you wanted to with a switch.

The keyboard quality of PinePhone is ok, I can live with that. It's good for a first iteration, I guess.
I miss the Cosmo a bit, especially since I customized it with the help of ntware. I guess you might remember this thread
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 10