x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Thanksgiving Video

NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-11-28 8:19 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Thanks to all of hpcfactor but especially to C: Amie!
A lot of work, which lasted a long time, brought its fruits and a lot of patience on the part of C: Amie, who followed me step by step, in this wonderful journey, for me. An overall upgrade, of my IBM 330.
This PC has never been so "powerful" !!!
Thanks again for everything!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX7oVW41Kqc]
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-11-29 3:30 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Okay, so, for the record, I was reading those threads with interest! I couldn't picture what the computer looked like, but watching the video---it's fantastic!
Love the era appropriate hardware for everything - and you have my favorite OS running - Windows 2000!

Impressed you and C:Amie were able to get everything working - definitely worth it for sure.

What browser were you using? I wonder how Firefox would run on it

Again, impressive setup! You did a great job
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-11-29 9:48 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

haha, very cool. Thank-you though

Those speakers are huge! Your neighbours must love you

If you still had a rotational hard drive in there, I'd tell you not to put the subwoofer on the table as that would be a sure way to totally wreck it. As you are SSD it shouldn't matter; though I think sound quality might be better with it on the floor.

There is a mod you can perform on 9x,NT,2000 to get the SysTray to load high colour icons instead of 256 colour ones:
http://www.dr-hoiby.com/TrayIconIn256Color/PatchInfos_5_0_3700_6690...

You can see the difference here and if you don't want to perform the mod yourself, you can download a tool to do it here if you trust third party downloads:
http://www.dr-hoiby.com/TrayIconIn256Color/

You get a YouTube Groupie badge for that as well!

Thanks again for sharing and happy retro computing
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-11-30 9:43 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2022-11-29 9:48 AM

haha, very cool. Thank-you though

Those speakers are huge! Your neighbours must love you

If you still had a rotational hard drive in there, I'd tell you not to put the subwoofer on the table as that would be a sure way to totally wreck it. As you are SSD it shouldn't matter; though I think sound quality might be better with it on the floor.

There is a mod you can perform on 9x,NT,2000 to get the SysTray to load high colour icons instead of 256 colour ones:
http://www.dr-hoiby.com/TrayIconIn256Color/PatchInfos_5_0_3700_6690...

You can see the difference here and if you don't want to perform the mod yourself, you can download a tool to do it here if you trust third party downloads:
http://www.dr-hoiby.com/TrayIconIn256Color/

You get a YouTube Groupie badge for that as well!

Thanks again for sharing and happy retro computing

I didn't know about this thing about the subwoofer. I use the speakers very little and at low volume anyway, just to hear some classical music or music from the 80s/90s that I have stored on the CDs.
Thanks for the tip about the icons. But I prefer not to burden my PC further, since I'm running programs, which are very demanding on the PC.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-11-30 9:46 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

torch - 2022-11-29 3:30 AM

Okay, so, for the record, I was reading those threads with interest! I couldn't picture what the computer looked like, but watching the video---it's fantastic!
Love the era appropriate hardware for everything - and you have my favorite OS running - Windows 2000!

Impressed you and C:Amie were able to get everything working - definitely worth it for sure.

I am using K-Meleon1.5.4. which is the only Browser that runs decently with 200MHz. All others are too slow.
Also, from Pegasus Mail I switched to OE classic 3.1, much faster, lighter and more responsive!
Windows 2000, even if it's at the limit, runs very well. It allows me to communicate with the Card Wifi and the HP Officejet 6000 printer (although I must say that it takes a long time to print a document, compared to if I connect it to a modern PC).
Not to mention the ability to read 500GB external drives.

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-11-30 9:50 AM
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-11-30 9:55 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I forgot, to keep to the classic, I used an old Panasonic with small VHS cassettes, to make the video!
If I have to be Vintage, all the way!
For this the video quality is not high!

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-11-30 9:57 AM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-12-02 7:06 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

NarakuITA - 2022-11-30 2:46 AM

torch - 2022-11-29 3:30 AM

I am using K-Meleon1.5.4. which is the only Browser that runs decently with 200MHz. All others are too slow.
Also, from Pegasus Mail I switched to OE classic 3.1, much faster, lighter and more responsive!
Windows 2000, even if it's at the limit, runs very well. It allows me to communicate with the Card Wifi and the HP Officejet 6000 printer (although I must say that it takes a long time to print a document, compared to if I connect it to a modern PC).
Not to mention the ability to read 500GB external drives.

Have you tried this one:
https://github.com/rn10950/RetroZilla
I randomly came across it - it looks much older than KMeleon and I don't know how secure it is
RetroZilla is a fork of Gecko 1.8.1 for improved compatibility on the modern web, with Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0 in mind. Right now, RetroZilla's rendering capabilities are pretty similar to Firefox 2.0's, but as RetroZilla progresses, so will its capabilities.

RetroZilla Suite is the primary target of RetroZilla, but code exists in the tree to build RetroZilla Browser (Firefox 2) and xulrunner.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-12-02 11:25 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I can try, but keep in mind that I will never use this PC to browse. Maybe just for the mail.

EDIT:
OK, now I remember, I had tried that. But only the basic program. Many sites, indeed many sites are not opened. I have not tried this modification...

OK, I won't try that, for this reason:
Now just run from the MSYS shell and wait. On a VM running on a modern host, building should take 20-40 minutes. On XP-era desktops expect building to take about 1 hour and 20 minutes to 2 hours.make -f client.mk configure build

If it takes that long, on my 200 MHz PC how long will it take? I don't want to find out!

Edited by NarakuITA 2022-12-02 11:47 PM
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-12-10 1:48 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

See what comes out on your name using the mighty GPT-Prompter!
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2022-12-10 2:44 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

NarakuITA - 2022-11-30 1:55 AM

I forgot, to keep to the classic, I used an old Panasonic with small VHS cassettes, to make the video!
If I have to be Vintage, all the way!
For this the video quality is not high!

Great job!

Excellent work!

Love how you are vintage consistent through and through.

Thumbs up!

Mark
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 11