x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Running Pocket PC/Windows Mobile .NET CF software on CE

I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2022-12-01 12:20 PM
#
Avatar image of I dunk for bananas
H/PC Elite

Found a couple great programs that would fill the gaps in what my device can do, but sadly they throw .net CF errors when I try to execute them. Wasn't there a specific method to get PPC/WM managed applications to run on CE? I wasn't able to find anything by googling
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-12-01 1:55 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I believe it's called RedGear.

https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/81/Alpaxo_Software/RedGear/version_1.0...

I think you need to install the correct .NET compact framework runtime in your case?

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2022-12-01 1:57 PM
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2022-12-01 2:44 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Ah thank you! Dang, it's only for ARM, while my device is x86 :|
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-12-01 3:05 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Can you look through that TFGBD x86 list that you posted that one time? There were some GAPI programs on there but I never had any luck actually finding binaries

The .txt list I mean
Also this doesn’t help if they don’t run at all but here’s this too
https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/960/Elias_Zacarias/Winwatch/version_2....

Edited by torch 2022-12-01 3:18 PM
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2022-12-01 4:48 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I gave Winwatch a try but it was still having the same issue, I think Winwatch is only helpful if anything even shows up in the first place which isn't happening sadly
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-12-02 4:44 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Hmm.
Does Dependency Walker work for.net programs?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-12-06 4:37 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Have you thought of emailing the developer of RedGear? It looks like they're still around. I wonder if it's possible if they had the source code to compile it for x86?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2022-12-06 11:14 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

RedGear's developer, Kirk Meyer, is a member here (isotherm). You can try sending him a PM here, though it's been over a year since he last visited this site. Members get e-mail notifications of incoming PMs if they choose to in their settings. I recently got hold of another member that way who hadn't been here for well over a year.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-07 2:22 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Hey he was very kind and prompt when he emailed me back. Unfortunately the source code was corrupted that’s why it wasn’t released.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2023-01-07 7:51 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Even if your device were ARM, I doubt that RedGear would have solved your problems anyway. It wasn't written to address .NET CF compatibility issues.

The error messages themselves may give clues. What kinds of error messages were you getting? Also note that some .NET CF programs require (and sometimes include) processor-specific DLLs that aren't part of the .NET CF runtime library itself and also aren't preinstalled on the device (eg, zlibce.dll, fmodce.dll, imgdecmp.dll, etc). If those DLLs are included in the installation package, they're ARM versions and therefore you'd have to find x86 versions of them.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-08 1:48 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Correct. You’re right.
I had an odd use case.
Basically there is no Executability check tool for x86 (gosh I wish that was open source !)

Anyway, there’s some pocket pc open source programs I was able to compile with no errors for x86. I wanted that tool so I could easily find out exactly what I need instead of doing a dll scavenger hunt.

Yes I know I can do that. I’m just lazy and want to try to find the easiest way to do something.

I need to ask watamario if that Tronik run (similar and more detailed tool than Executability Check) is open source so I can try to compile that for x86.

I know my response isn’t exactly on topic. I just wanted to outline what I wanted to do with RedGear.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 8