x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Of shoes and ships and serial cables (with apologies to Lewis Carroll)

thenzero Page Icon Posted 2022-12-01 8:27 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

You know, torch's recent post on hpcBay asking about a serial cable for the MP900 got me thinking, so I took a look on digikey to see what's available in terms of connectors.

Of course I don't know exactly what connector is used by the cable in question, but looking at similar, related connectors reveals that many of them are now obsolete and what's left seem to be in the last buy stage. Point is, if there's anyone left who knows how to manufacture any of these cables, now would be the time to get together and make that happen before the parts are gone forever.

That leads me to ask you all a few questions, to get the community thinking about this.

1) Is there any interest in an endeavor like that?
2) Is there enough parts commonality between the various cables for different devices to make it economical/feasible? Or do they all use wildly different non-standard connectors (vs standard pcmcia connectors like this sort of thing)
3) Does anyone have the pinouts for any of these cables? Google wasn't very helpful.
4) Does anyone here have the know how + desire + time to do such a thing?

p.s. It may already be too late, I wasn't able to put together a whole cable (in terms of parts) from digikey, although I also haven't looked elsewhere.
p.p.s. This isn't a project I'm interested in tackling myself, but I wanted to at least put the thought out there to everyone.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 8