x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Introduction

thenzero Page Icon Posted 2022-12-10 11:05 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Well, it looks like I'll be hanging around here for a while so I thought I should probably introduce myself.

My name is Michael- I currently live with my family in Georgia, US. I'm a computer engineer by degree although I've spent the last twenty years doing software development, primarily embedded C for various platforms, but have also dabbled in various other things.

I'm an avid Linux user and have been since the first time I put Slackware on my laptop in 1999. Fell in love and never looked back. These days I also have a Windows box, primarily for work, but it also comes in handy for a few other things.

I also collect vintage computers and handhelds. You can check my bio for more details about my small collection, but my NEC MobilePro 780 is my favorite handheld, which is why I'm here I just find it to be such a great platform and just about the perfect form factor. I really like the Psion 5MX as well! I'm always trying to find new ways to fit these guys into my daily life.

I'm also an avid chess player. I haven't played in a tournament in over 5 years, but I play rapid chess online every day.

I'm really happy to be here and have been really impressed by how helpful and knowledgeable everyone is and what a great resource C:Amie and the community have built for these HPCs. Looking forward to getting to know everyone better and maybe even contribute along the way.

That's all for now...see you around the forum!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2022-12-11 2:08 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I still have my 5mx stashed away. Like CE, Epoc is not a bad OS, but like CE it never got enough attention from software developers.

I still play in club tournaments on a fairly regular basis, though many local clubs remain closed almost three years since the pandemic hit. I've been a rated expert (over 2000 USCF) for most of the last 40 years, but have never broken through into the master class (2200 USCF). I did beat a British grandmaster once in a tournament game here in the States, but that was a long time ago. (He won his fourth UK championship the following year, and he once beat former world champion and current anti-Putin activist Garry Kasparov in a tournament game. So I like to say I beat a guy who beat the world champion. ) Never was very good at blitz though.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-12-11 11:10 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Welcome to the community. I'm glad you find it useful

It is always good to have some more dev's around, I hope we can encourage you to flex your skills
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-12-12 12:55 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Welcome! I can assure you that I am the black sheep of the group. I have no skills like the others. In fact, like a child I rely on their wisdom.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2022-12-12 2:25 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Greetings, Michael,

Glad to have you part of this illustrious club.....fun, helpful, and informative place to hang out.

While I am in Silicon Valley (my office is about a block from the Apple Spaceship headquarters....), I am not in 'high tech', but enjoy using various mobile computing devices.

You can see from my sig I've had a few over the years....

My recent acquisitions include Sharp Zaurus ZR-5800, Intermec 6651, NEC MP790, NEC MP880, and HP 200LX. All very good in their own way.

Like you, really like using Linux and use Manjaro on my laptop.

And used linux on my Zaurus SL-C3200, Jornada 720.

Now I want to try NetBSD on my MP790/MP880, and 6651. I used NetBSD on my SL-C3200 and even built some apps on it.

See you around....

Mark

Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2022-12-12 3:08 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

So I like to say I beat a guy who beat the world champion.

That's so awesome! I tend to hover in that same range (2050-2150) for online blitz but I have no idea what my real rating would be if I played. I keep telling myself I'll get back into tournaments but all the local clubs I used to play at closed down

Do you have any interest in correspondence by chance? If so, I'd love to get a game going...

In fact, like a child I rely on their wisdom.

I know exactly what you mean! I've felt like that a lot in the last few weeks. So many knowledgeable and super helpful folks around. And like I told torch a few weeks ago- I've felt somewhat "alone" in this hobby for a while now, all the related facebook groups seem to be dead; it was so nice to find a community of people still into this to talk to and learn from. I also run in vintage computer circles and there's just not as much love for these handhelds over there, which is a real shame in my opinion.

Now I want to try NetBSD on my MP790/MP880, and 6651.

I got 3.0 and 4.0 working easily on my MP780 but ran into some bugs and instabilities with everything newer. Even that little taste was enough to make me REALLY want to get NetBSD working though. I've got all those suggestions from everybody in the VR Linux thread and may give it another shot soon, although right now I'm having a lot of fun playing with this Windows dev environment C:Amie put out there.

Thanks for all the welcomes!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2022-12-13 1:51 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Never been into correspondence chess either. Given how well you play at blitz, you'd probably kick my behind anyway at the slower paces.

Welcome to HPC:Factor in any event. We seem to have a lot in common in the handheld device realm too.
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2022-12-13 4:01 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Thanks CE Geek. And now I can tell people that I know someone who has beaten someone who has beaten Kasparov! Three degrees of Garry Kasparov?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-12-14 5:14 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Hello thenzero,

Welcome to the forum.

I live in Japan, south of Tokyo, about 1hour ride with train.
I started programming around 2002 or 2003, my first programming language were Perl and eMbedded Visual Basic 3.0. (I couldn't afford to buy a Visual Basic back then, and I found the free version for Windows CE devices.

I program in Perl, Python and PHP mostly as a job, and running a startup in search engines.
My first PDA was a Cassiopeia E-700WE and my first Handheld PC was Sigmarion 1.

I don't play chess so much (I am terrible at it) but I can play Shogi.
I used to like real-time strategy games, including Dai Senryaku, Age of Empires II and Blitzkrieg.
I still like Blitzkrieg.

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2022-12-14 5:14 AM
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2022-12-15 1:24 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Thank you stingraze

I've never played Shogi but I do enjoy Xiang Qi as well as Go and other similar games but finding people around here (southern US) to play with is sometimes a chore.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-12-16 7:44 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I played Xiang Qi long time ago with my friend. I don't understand Go, but I experimented with it.

There is a program called Bonanza which won the World Shogi Tournament. I played using that, but I can never beat the computer.... (of course!)
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2022-12-16 11:47 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I get bored playing the computer. I feel like I shouldn't but it's just not as fun without the human element, whether it's beating me or not.

I never got past the beginner stage in Go but I sure do love that game. It's like the purest most perfect embodiment of a strategy game. I wish I had started playing that as a kid instead of Chess
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-12-18 12:53 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I know what you mean, especially in board games.
It's not that bad in real time strategy games, but yeah...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 9