x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NetBSD on NEC MobilePro 790 - Install Issue

« Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... Next »
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-01-21 4:41 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

This is great news!

Glad you persevered....and succeeded!

Look forward to trying some packages....

Will be interesting to hear how long it takes to build on the 790...

Way back when I did it on my little Zaurus SL-3200, it would take hours....and some could take a day or so....

and some would take a long time and then return an error message....

Good luck!
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-01-21 4:48 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Well figlet was small and only took a few minutes. I'm building gmake right now and it's been going for an hour or so.

Edit: ....And it finished right after I typed that!

Edited by thenzero 2023-01-21 4:51 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-01-21 5:29 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

An hour or so is pretty good....

We'll see about other programs....

Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-01-21 6:56 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Unzip took maybe thirty minutes and lynx took an hour and a half (and still going). I imagine Firefox and its many dependencies will take days (@_@)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-01-21 7:51 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Very nice!

Compiling on device reminds me of the time I compiled Perl (I think) on Mobile Pro 900C running Linux. It took hours...

-stingraze
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-01-21 10:04 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

thenzero - 2023-01-20 10:56 PM

Unzip took maybe thirty minutes and lynx took an hour and a half (and still going). I imagine Firefox and its many dependencies will take days (@_@)

Great!

Agree, FF will likely take a lonnnngggg time.....

stingraze - 2023-01-20 11:51 PM

Very nice!

Compiling on device reminds me of the time I compiled Perl (I think) on Mobile Pro 900C running Linux. It took hours...

-stingraze

Yes, long time, but somehow it is fun to do onboard compiling....

Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-01-22 12:53 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Mark-

I got lynx built and working on 5.2 as a test. It does work but its SSL is too outdated to connect to e.g. hpcfactor. I suspect firefox will have the same issue...do you still want firefox if it can't do https connections?
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-01-22 4:48 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

thenzero - 2023-01-21 4:53 PM

Mark-

I got lynx built and working on 5.2 as a test. It does work but its SSL is too outdated to connect to e.g. hpcfactor. I suspect firefox will have the same issue...do you still want firefox if it can't do https connections?

Congrats on getting lynx built....

As for firefox, if it can't do https, then it has very limited use with sites these days....

Don't know if it would make much difference, but on the old VAIO Picturebook I had until about a year ago, I used lighter browser, think based upon firefox, called palemoon. Worked pretty well on that old laptop.

Would be great to have Emacs on 790 though...

Just a thought....
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-01-22 5:47 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

ArchiMark - 2023-01-22 4:48 AM
As for firefox, if it can't do https, then it has very limited use with sites these days....

That's true and I had a feeling you'd say that. So I will skip firefox for now and leave that for when we get something working better with 9.3.

Don't know if it would make much difference, but on the old VAIO Picturebook I had until about a year ago, I used lighter browser, think based upon firefox, called palemoon. Worked pretty well on that old laptop.

Well, there is "links-gui" which is based on lynx but runs in X with graphics and stuff. I have a feeling that would be easy to build. Still no SSL tho.
Edit: I misunderstood what links-gui was. I built and ran it- it's still a command line lynx-like browser, just with some more sophistication, frames, etc. Not what you're looking for.

Would be great to have Emacs on 790 though...

Just a thought....

Oh I agree. I love emacs! It was giving me some weird errors when I tried to build it on my VM but I'll try building it on the actual machine (after it's done with curl which has been running all day!) and let you know what happens.

Edited by thenzero 2023-01-22 5:56 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-01-22 6:42 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Sounds good.....

Will be great if you can get emacs built....I really like org-mode and starting to use org-roam....

Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-01-22 11:45 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Getting a LOT of help from the netbsd folks on cross compile today! It doesn't help with our other issues (9.3 not working great etc) but it should at least make it easier/faster to churn out some packages for us.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-01-23 12:12 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

That's great to hear.....

Who knows, maybe, you can keep up the momentum with those folks and get help with 9.3, etc.....

Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-01-25 12:42 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Quick update- some packages have turned out to be easier to cross compile than others. I've been getting help from the person who wrote the official cross compile HOWTO for netbsd and he told me that some packages (such as perl) simply cannot be cross compiled currently. So the current approach is to build the majority of packages on the host computer and switch to the target computer only for certain difficult packages, and then back to the host for packages that depend on those, etc.

Right now the biggest thing I need for this 5.2 enterprise is direction on what would be desirable to have built because it is a time consuming process. I have emacs in the queue (that's why I was trying to get perl built!). Any other requests?

Also, kain and I have been discussing how we might get a little more attention from the hpcmips devs on actually fixing the current builds. Strategizing on that front continues
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-01-25 12:57 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Update sounds good overall....

Although understand issues currently....

As for build candidates.....

Would be nice to have a spreadsheet app and a decent working browser....

Will post again if I think of some other ideas.

Let me know if there's anything I can test.

Keep up the great work!

Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-01-25 1:11 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Actually that brings up a great point. I have no idea right now if you would already have everything you need to install these packages I'm making or if you will need something to bootstrap the capability (like the pkgin package!). So, let me look into that a bit and give you a sample package to try just so we can go ahead and work out the kinks.
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9