x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Merry Christmas

1 2
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2022-12-26 12:39 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Some cookies that I think the users here might appreciate:

(nerdcookies_sm.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments nerdcookies_sm.jpg (412KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2022-12-26 1:01 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

C:Amie - 2022-12-26 12:43 PM

It's all fake and I don't think that retailers realise the damage that they do to themselves. There are still enough saps to make it financially worth while.

To me the boxing day was a myth since I discovered british websites and discussion sites in the nineties. Looked like heavy shopping in the early morning hours but without the disney-esque kitsch of the american shopping traditions. But sometimes heavy violence included

Unfortunately I never made it to Britain during the holidays so this will stay a myth for me and a memory of my first days with Compuserve and internet services.

Let's have some of these nice cookies

Stefan

Edited by dl1av 2022-12-26 1:08 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-12-26 1:03 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

gjcoram - 2022-12-26 12:39 PM

Some cookies that I think the users here might appreciate:

Aww, you made cookie portraits of all the mod's
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-12-26 11:34 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

The cookies look yummy!

-stingraze
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2022-12-27 12:34 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2022-12-26 5:03 AM

Aww, you made cookie portraits of all the mod's

So, basically, we're all saying "Eat me!"
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2022-12-27 12:35 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2022-12-26 11:43 AM

Now everything is new stock, cheap consumer rubbish and like Black Friday, everything is fake mark-down. They just mark it up to double price 7 days before and then give 40% off.

It's all fake and I don't think that retailers realise the damage that they do to themselves. There are still enough saps to make it financially worth while.

It feels like everything is going this way doesn't it? It's so depressing.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-12-27 10:17 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

dl1av - 2022-12-26 1:01 PM

C:Amie - 2022-12-26 12:43 PM

To me the boxing day was a myth since I discovered british websites and discussion sites in the nineties. Looked like heavy shopping in the early morning hours but without the disney-esque kitsch of the american shopping traditions. But sometimes heavy violence included

Unfortunately I never made it to Britain during the holidays so this will stay a myth for me and a memory of my first days with Compuserve and internet services.

Let's have some of these nice cookies

Stefan

Early hours of the morning, for sure. Though I don't recall punch-up's or cat fights happening.
Every year the media here has fun at Black Friday's expense showing people beating each other up over some utterly pointless consumer tat - usually in a 'Walmart'.
 Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2022-12-27 7:51 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Today was the first shopping day after christmas here around. Not very spectacular, even in the states capitol city of Dusseldorf. The japanese quarter was heavily crowded with long queues in front of some stores but no riot and not earlier than usual hours.

On Instagram there are some of those news clips from the US in the eighties. Much more fun there (else it wouldn't have been in the news, I assume)

Stefan
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-12-27 8:40 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

@dl1av, did you buy anything?

The CBI is expecting low retail sales this year and them to continue to be subdued next year.

There just isn't anything I need
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2022-12-28 3:36 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

dl1av - 2022-12-27 11:51 AM

On Instagram there are some of those news clips from the US in the eighties. Much more fun there (else it wouldn't have been in the news, I assume)

Stefan

You mean the decade, or the temperature? (It was freezing pretty much everywhere except California. And the warmth didn't last long here either - it's been rainy today.)
 Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2022-12-28 6:56 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Just the decade It was about 10deg on the celsius scale - our normal temperature around christmas here. No rain but some sun in the evening.

I didn't buy anything besides some japanese food. The standard stuff like clothes and household items I can buy whenever I want and the time for really new technology is gone since ten or fifteen years. In my opinion the consumer technology is saturated since then and only minor changes in technology occur. Nothing really new and a five year old device (phone, computer) basically does the same job as an actual one in most cases. No breathtaking changes at all.

30 years before every one or two years a completely new and improved technology came up. A new approach to get the job done, completely new design or software or totally new features and ideas that have not been seen on older devices. Or a new Intel processor with new features or possibilities.

Those days are totally gone an now it is just marketing and to imprint in the kids' brain that they "need to upgrade" but nothing new in general.

Stefan
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-12-28 7:31 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I whole heartedly agree.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.224 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 9