x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

AMD PIC 50x15 ROM Image

1 2
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-12-31 4:51 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

In an effort to try and make my HP CE6 x86 client less bad, I was thinking about trying to find a ROM image from the AMD PIC 50x15 to play with.
I tried searching around but no luck.
Was going to see if anyone knew either
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-12-31 9:48 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Maybe you know this site already but some info here:

http://mozy.org/amd-pic/

Quote from the above site:

This is a full-featured Registry viewer and editor. It is your window to everything behind the scenes in the PIC's WindowsCE OS. I went though pretty much every registry entry (took a while) and here's what I found:
"HKCU\software\microsoft\shell\DirectoryLockFilter "
Remove everything in there and this will let you use CE's Windows Explorer to go through all the files/folders on the HD. Here's the current data in it: \Windows\Desktop;\;\Hard Disk;\Hard Disk\My Documents;\Hard Disk\My Documents\Pictures;\Hard Disk\My Documents\My Downloads;\Hard Disk\My Documents\Music and Video;\Hard Disk\My Documents\Documents;\Hard Disk\Application Data;\NK.BIN

Notice that there is the NK.BIN, I'm assuming that is the ROM?

Edited by stingraze 2022-12-31 9:48 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2022-12-31 2:28 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Actually I think I have what you need. Way back when I was playing with x86 CE, I bought a brand new 50x15.

The very first thing I did was remove the hard drive and plug it into my desktop. Then using Norton Ghost 2003, I made an image of the hard drive. Then replaced the hd back into the AMD PIC and played with it for a long time as you can tell from my many posts here about it.

Anyways, as I remember it...the hd was partitioned with CE and all the stuff on the primary and the other contained a compressed self extracting backup image of it.

I always thought it would be cool to have an old laptop with CE5 running on it. Alas it was not meant to be. I am pretty sure the BSP for the 50x15 is specific to the AMD Geode GX 500. And I was never able to sucessfully read the bios on the motherboard for reflashing to another Phoenix bios machine...though to reflash the bios to a standard Windows compatible is easily done using the flash utility and the CE interface...

And the 50x15 has somehow linked the hard reset button to load and then copy the native backup image from the secondary partition to the primary one for recovery. Again this is part of the unique bios designed for the machine. Once you reflash it to a standard bios, it no longer searches for a disk image to reinstall.

Anyways send me PM with your address and I will send you a copy of the hd image I made. If nothing else you will have a fully unlocked x86 Softmaker Office to evaluate on you x86 CE machine.

But why would you want to go from CE6 to CE5 I cannot fathom...
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-12-31 4:25 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

stingraze - 2022-12-31 2:48 AM

Maybe you know this site already but some info here:

http://mozy.org/amd-pic/

Quote from the above site:
Notice that there is the NK.BIN, I'm assuming that is the ROM?

Thanks for finding that - there was a linux github that linked to that stuff - I may need to add that registry editor to the SCL! Thank you
Rich Hawley - 2022-12-31 7:28 AM

Actually I think I have what you need. Way back when I was playing with x86 CE, I bought a brand new 50x15.

The very first thing I did was remove the hard drive and plug it into my desktop. Then using Norton Ghost 2003, I made an image of the hard drive. Then replaced the hd back into the AMD PIC and played with it for a long time as you can tell from my many posts here about it.

Anyways, as I remember it...the hd was partitioned with CE and all the stuff on the primary and the other contained a compressed self extracting backup image of it.

I always thought it would be cool to have an old laptop with CE5 running on it. Alas it was not meant to be. I am pretty sure the BSP for the 50x15 is specific to the AMD Geode GX 500. And I was never able to sucessfully read the bios on the motherboard for reflashing to another Phoenix bios machine...though to reflash the bios to a standard Windows compatible is easily done using the flash utility and the CE interface...

And the 50x15 has somehow linked the hard reset button to load and then copy the native backup image from the secondary partition to the primary one for recovery. Again this is part of the unique bios designed for the machine. Once you reflash it to a standard bios, it no longer searches for a disk image to reinstall.

Anyways send me PM with your address and I will send you a copy of the hd image I made. If nothing else you will have a fully unlocked x86 Softmaker Office to evaluate on you x86 CE machine.

But why would you want to go from CE6 to CE5 I cannot fathom...

I had seen your threads tinkering with it- it looked like such a cool device. I know it's limited even compared to my HP t5540 thin client, but it looks sooooooooooo cool looking!! I was actually jealous - I love how I'm rediscovering this stuff ten years or more after you guys all pioneered it! aha
I'd love to tinker with the programs - again, my t5540 thin client is almost amazing! it's just missing a few more things.
Thank you for your help as well!!
You both are the best
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2022-12-31 4:32 PM
#
Avatar image of I dunk for bananas
H/PC Elite

Wait, x86 Office is a thing?? How do I get my hands on it?

AMD said its PIC operates using Microsoft's Windows CE 5.0 kernel with an XP extender so that users can access XP-based applications

That's a thing??

Edited by I dunk for bananas 2022-12-31 4:33 PM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-12-31 4:35 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I saw that too! We need to ask Rich about that! That’s very interesting
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-02 12:01 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Added x86 trial version to SCL https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/1070/SoftMaker/SoftMaker_Office/version_2006
Courtesy Rich

Edited by torch 2023-01-02 12:02 AM
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2023-01-02 2:02 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Oh my gosh... this is fantastic. I'm blown away at this point by just how much x86 software is actually available I was worried my device was going to be useless but it looks I can do near anything with it now!
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-02 2:09 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

TextMaker was the final piece of the puzzle for me. It's actually a usable device now
Now we just need to compile all of the programs from the x86 list that TFGBD was able to get on x86 from 2006-2007
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2023-01-08 9:21 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I wonder if we'll ever be able to get our hands on the x86 version of Softmaker's mail program!
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-08 9:29 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Lol. We have a working POP3 email client with TLS 1.2 on Windows CE x86 right now.
but yeah I see your point

Can you show me links to the mail program for CE ? I wasn’t aware it was released for any CE architecture let alone x86? Or was that exclusive to the AMD?

I’ll add it to the SCL if you can find it somewhere
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2023-01-08 9:34 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I can't actually find any actual links to it online, it was bundled with all the other Softmaker stuff on my Ubisurfer
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-08 9:37 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Is there a rom image I can find so I can add that to the SCL?
I’ll give you credit
If it’s no trouble let me know if you can add screenshots because I don’t have a ce 5 or 6 arm device
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2023-01-08 10:35 PM
#
H/PC Elite

There never was a publicly available ROM image for the Ubisurfer sadly. It would be possible to copy the program off of it, but it wouldn't start without a valid product key, and I'm unsure regarding the legality of that
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-08 11:39 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

No. I don’t want a key for it. Does it run in a trial mode?

Or is it completely blocked ?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8