x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Application not installed from desktop / Invalid Registry

torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-04 3:19 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I was working on Rich’s ROM image with programs from the AMD PIC to add to the SCL for windows ce x86

Anyway in /Windows there’s some programs like Chess, etc

But when I attempt to execute them, I get an error saying “application was not installed from the desktop or registry has an invalid entry. Please reinstall application from the desktop “

How would I go about fixing that ?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2023-01-04 5:25 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, you could reinstall the application from the desktop . . .

Unless you have the CAB file, I'm not sure what you can do. If there isn't an x86 CAB but there are CABs for other processors, you could try installing it on another device with one of those processors and then look for registry keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software and HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software corresponding to the app in question and export those keys to import into the x86 device. (I've started getting into the habit of copying registry keys for installed programs into the those programs' folders on the Storage Card, because they take up very little space and you never know when they can come in handy. I do it in Total Commander because it's simpler than using a registry editor. Registry keys generated by CAB files can be viewed in MSCEInf on the host PC, but copying them from there is a little more complicated.)
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-04 5:30 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

CE Geek - 2023-01-03 10:25 PM

Well, you could reinstall the application from the desktop . . .

HAHAHAH

Well, the part of the story I forgot to mention was they're only .exe files, there's no .cabs available, so there's no way for me to get those registry keys.

Wait- on that note- where does the system store its .reg files? Maybe I could copy the keys?

^I just have the raw hard drive image with all of the files installed
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 8