x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

MP790 *nix, other H/PC Experience also welcome...

1 2 3 4 5
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-12 4:07 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

NEVER expect that you can install linux on a new platform in a small time limit.
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-08-12 6:02 PM
#
ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-08-12 2:07 PM

NEVER expect that you can install linux on a new platform in a small time limit.

Bah! If it weren't for the damn CF card reader dying I'd have done it.. You'll see, you'll all see
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-08-12 7:26 PM
#
I guess I'm going shopping this weekend. 1gb is probably enough, but I don't know if the price will be right in town...

Anyone know if this will work without any kernel patches?

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GS1022C-N&cat=FLM

Edited by abyssknight 2005-08-12 7:41 PM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-12 11:22 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Doesn't the 790 have a type 1 cf slot? Because if so, and you have to use a pcmcia adaptor, you all know that you will not be able to even connect to the internet, right?
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-08-12 11:37 PM
#
Huh? NetBSD accesses the internet to get the files off the bat...
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 2:57 AM
#
ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-08-12 9:22 PM

Doesn't the 790 have a type 1 cf slot? Because if so, and you have to use a pcmcia adaptor, you all know that you will not be able to even connect to the internet, right?

Nope, it's type I/II
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 3:18 AM
#
H/PC Elder

No, no, no! The microdrive will be filling up the pcmcia slot! You cannot take it out while the system is running! That means that you will not be able to put in a wifi or ethernet card!

And about it getting internet right off the bat, netbsd has more than 1 person working on it...anyways - when I make the image, debian will get on the internet right off the bat.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 10:23 AM
#
H/PC Elder

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-08-13 1:18 AM

No, no, no! The microdrive will be filling up the pcmcia slot! You cannot take it out while the system is running! That means that you will not be able to put in a wifi or ethernet card!

And about it getting internet right off the bat, netbsd has more than 1 person working on it...anyways - when I make the image, debian will get on the internet right off the bat.

Dunno about debian, but NetBSD does not require the CF inside the slot once the system has booted up.
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 11:17 AM
#
Right after I posted I realized you may have meant that!

I guess I'll get a 1gb CF then I would imagine the Type I's are more supported anyways. I just need to find one for extremely cheap, hehe. So far it's looking like $50 + $5 shipping.
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 11:58 AM
#
ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-08-13 1:18 AM

Hmmm, I think we may be on different wavelengths here. As far as I can figure my main cf slot will be tied up with the microdrive, which leaves my pcmcia slot open for whatever expansion options I may require.

Though to be honest, I'm far more familiar with Debian than I am with *bsd... Do you think you're going to be able to release a mips release of Debian?
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 12:27 PM
#
Ooo... Man I love Debian. I totally missed that conversation. Hehe.

If we could get all these base installs tarballed and availiable to everyone that would be sweet. You could pick Debian, NetBSD, etc whenever you got sick of one distro. It's the perfect try-out machine too, because no matter what you never lose CE.

Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 3:13 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Snappy!, you probably could take the cf out of Debian while it is running, but after you set up your wifi card (you would have had to make the config files ahead of time), how can you start lynx to use it? And if you want to browse in the gui, you can't LOAD the browser! Lol, its like unmounting the main system hard drive - you try to run a command, and it immediately mounts again. Maybe netbsd has many commands in ram, but it cant have programs in there too - unless if you make a ram disk...

Just wondering though - the 790 has some internal flash space, right? Could you possibly install the filesystem to there, or maybe /usr/bin to there? That would be an interesting option, and you could link to it .

EDIT: Erm, corporate? Eheh. If you want to go and find Debian mips binaries and maybe a base package, you can make a working Debian for mips yourself, because - hehe - I absolutely do not want to do it.

Also, I do not have a mips machine.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2005-08-13 3:17 PM
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 4:46 PM
#
ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-08-13 1:13 PM

EDIT: Erm, corporate? Eheh. If you want to go and find Debian mips binaries and maybe a base package, you can make a working Debian for mips yourself, because - hehe - I absolutely do not want to do it.

Also, I do not have a mips machine.

Hmm, there's a lot of debian mips stuff out there, may not be too terribly impossible to do! Hmm...
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 6:03 PM
#
We need the debian-mipsel port ... and instructions. Hehe.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 7:48 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Go ahead. It is a very large project, I can assure you of that.

After I finish the arm project, which - now that I was able to upgrade to the current stable version and after releasing the console edition will install x, I will be able to release a tutorial on getting a pitiful nothing Debian up to a good, working one.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 8