x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

RAM upgrade- HP t5540 Thin Client

1 2
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-06 6:45 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Hey so I think my Hewlett Packard t5540 thin client can support more ram. Assuming I use the correct for the motherboard ram will CE just work in general ?
It’s running CE 6.0 R3.
Or anything funky I should be aware of?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-01-06 6:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Given it is x86, it might work if you do a DIMM swap. Assuming that the kernel wasn't RAM restricted, the BIOS can supply the allocation data. You don't get that with most SoC's though, so the ROM can restrict the RAM allocation.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-06 6:50 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Well. I’ll keep my budget below $20 usd depending on what I find.

Replacing the storage / flash memory I didn’t see a need to because I can just use usb flash drives.

Maybe the higher ram will help with the zeta key browser.

With that in mind, you’d choose the ram over the flash too right ?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-01-06 7:22 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Post some photos of the motherboard and current storage/ram?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-01-08 7:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Did you find some photos? I'm keen to see the inside of this thing and how the RAM is laid out.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-01-09 8:02 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Some people swap the memory chip by de-soldering it.
For example, one Japanese person increased IBM Palm Top PC 110's 4MB RAM to 32MB (unconfirmed). 16MB is confirmed by another person.

Anyhow, one way these skilled people increase their RAM is by buying DIMM chips and taking it out and putting it on the board to increase the RAM.

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2023-01-09 8:02 AM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-09 5:45 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Hey sorry for the delay. I had been housesitting this last week. Anyway here’s some pictures

(A12C4DC8-CDA8-46C8-BD7A-34374DE4E37B.jpeg)

(E9D27059-CC8F-4C9E-B3EA-D554DBA6EB33.jpeg)

(1C646DDB-68D8-4E69-8344-32836C42CC07.jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments A12C4DC8-CDA8-46C8-BD7A-34374DE4E37B.jpeg (51KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments E9D27059-CC8F-4C9E-B3EA-D554DBA6EB33.jpeg (49KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 1C646DDB-68D8-4E69-8344-32836C42CC07.jpeg (50KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-01-09 6:49 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Oh wow, it uses a DOM! That was unexpected. You do not see those very often. Looks like it needs a 90 degree one too, even rarer.

Looks like eBay is the better option for 90 degree ones I can see a couple of 2GB ones for £11on eBay UK.

If you had access to 12v power (you probably don't), it might just take a IDE to SATA adapter and you could use a normal SSD with a bit of cabling. Alternately, IDE to CF might work too . You would want a nice, fast, DMA capable CF card though (DOM would be easier though as it won't be seen as ejectable).

As for the RAM, can you pop the chip and post the other side please? I'm guessing it is a unbuffered DDR2 SODIMM from the image.

What is going on with the thermal pad on top of the SoC heat sinc?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-09 6:57 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Oh yeah, I don't want to mess with the storage - the unit has internal USB ports I can always pop a flash drive into.

As for RAM, the RAM didn't want to come out when I moved the metal holders. Do I pull the RAM away straight "UP" or pull away from the MOBO?
I didn't want to damage the unit since it didn't seem to want to come out
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-01-09 7:05 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You asked if I'd choose the RAM over the flash. If it was £11, I'd be inclined to try both!

If you replace the DOM you could try running full Windows and Linux on it. That would make for a good write-up.

From the photo it *looks* like a standard pop slot, so I would expect it to rise slightly and then slide out at 45 degrees. The metal ones can catch the DIMM so it may need coaxing. It could also be hot glued down. From the profile I wouldn't think it be on a thermal pad.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-09 7:12 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Ok, I'll try that, in the meantime I found:
https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5540/
Flash: The Flash memory (top left in the photograph) is easily replaceable. It's a DOM plugged into a standard 44-pin IDE connector.

RAM: The RAM is a standard 200-pin SODIMM. The one fitted is manufactured by hynix and is marked: PC2-6400S-666-13-C0, 512MB, DDR2, 800, CL6. The part number is MT4HTF6464HY-800E1. The VX800 data sheet says that it... "Supports up to two 64-bit DDR2 667 DIMMs (4 GB max)" from which I assume that, with a single DIMM socket, the maximum amount of memory supported is 2GB. In December 2017 Samir emailed me to confirm that a 2GB part does work.

USB: USB key There are 6 USB ports; two on the front, two on the rear, and two 'secure' ports mounted under the top cover. The two on the front are recessed behind the front panel and I find the cheap 1GB pen drives that I use for testing won't fit thanks to the wide skirt.

and also
https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5540/mods.shtml

All the emails about modifications that I've received have centered around adding a SATA port.

Right from the start Jem Atahan noted that, adjacent to the 44-pin IDE connector, the PCB had the tracking for a SATA port.

Obviously there are a number of ways you can approach how bring this into use - from finding the right socket to fit through to just soldering wires from a suitable cable/connector directly to the pads.

In May 2017 a quick search on eBay for connectors was not particularly successful. The ones I eventually found were not exactly 'search term' friendly (e.g. "MOLEX 87713-1001 RECEPTACLE, SMT, SATA").

Here in the UK Farnell would appear to be a suitable source for such sockets as they stock things like "3M 5622-1200-ML I/O Connector, 22 Contacts, Receptacle, SATA, Surface Mount, 5622 Series, PCB Mount" @ £2.16. However they do have a £3.95 handling charge for orders under £20 which pushes up the cost.

Back in 2011 Jem Atahan wrote:

"Now the hard bit. There are surface mount tabs for the SATA plug, but nothing connected. Me and my novice soldering skills have managed to attach a salvaged plug from another card, and if I can do it, anyone can.

I have cut a hole in the side of the USB recess above the new port and run the cable out to a 3.5" disk, but one could probably mount a 2.5" drive internally. I haven't connected the SATA power headers yet, but I'm willing to guess they work too. hdparm -t /dev/sda reports 100 MB/sec transfer rate out of the disk's cache, which is a damn sight better than USB, and the system boots and runs pretty snappily.

The picture of the motherboard shows my hacked on port before I smothered it with hot melt glue."

added sata port
The SATA data port fitted to the PCB.

It faces into the 'secure USB port area' of the hardware.

Later Danny in Holland emailed:

I just wanted to let you know that the power connector works. I stripped the ends of a SATA power cable and soldered it to the board.

In May 2017 I heard from David from Canada who had recently bought a number of t5145s and had also set about using the SATA port.

If you take out the logic board (it's on a tray so once the top cover and screws removed it slides out) you can easily solder a SATA connector. I found connectors on eBay. These were not exactly meant for this application but they work. You cut the plastic mount tabs off, and solder it standing up. This way you don't have to modify the case. Grab a few SATA to SATA power cables from a dead power supply and a regular SATA cable, and you can use a small SSD and keep it in the case. I had a few 4GB modules left over from a Dell Wyse ZX0.

sata
The SATA socket that David found.

Designed for mounting horizontally on the board.

sata
The modified socket mounted vertically by the IDE connector.

Note: As the two sockets are so close, depending on exactly how you engineer things, you may not be able to use the IDE socket after your mod.

Edited by torch 2023-01-09 7:12 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-01-09 7:15 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yay, I like being right
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-09 7:31 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

You’re so smarticles!!

Anyway would CE6 work fine with 2GB ram ?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-01-09 7:42 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Well, that is a potentially very interesting question, I suspect that for CE it would need heavy modification of the ROM images config. Up to 512MB might be okay, after that it's going to need hacking. Assuming that it is BIOS equipped, other OS's would pick it up.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-09 7:43 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Well the device has 512 mb already I think?
The 128 is the flash storage
So I probably should leave the ram alone then
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 9