x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Linux 6.0 Drops Support NEC VR4100 MIPS

torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-09 10:54 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Support for old NEC VR4100 CPUs based on the MIPS R4000 core is being removed with the Linux 6.0 kernel leading to devices like the old IBM WorkPad Z50 no longer being supported.

With Linux 6.0, the VR41xx processor support and platforms based on it are being removed. Clearing out the old VR41xx MIPS code frees up over four thousand lines of code from the kernel. Support for the VR41xx hardware is being cleared out finally in 2022 since no active developers have any of the hardware any longer. Thus it's impossible to maintain with not being able to verify it still even works with modern kernels, etc. Anyone still rocking the hardware from the 90's will have to stick to using older Linux kernels if using the devices at all.

Among the notable hardware at the time using a VR41xx series processor was the IBM WorkPad Z50 as a sub-notebook portable device from the late 90's with a VR4121 running at 131MHz with 16MB of RAM and a 640 x 480 display that at the time was shipped with Windows CE.

Not sure if anyone had seen/posted this before. But I just wanted to share if it's relevant.

Source https://www.phoronix.com/news/Linux-6.0-Drops-VR41xx
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-01-10 12:40 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yeah, I've seen that on another site.

It's kind of sad, but I guess some people can use the older kernels and build their own branch.

-stingraze
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-01-10 2:35 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Yes, sad to hear about.....

Thanks for sharing, stingraze.
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-01-10 2:37 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Damn that sucks. I think they will find out this is a mistake as there is currently a resurgence of interest going on!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 8