x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2023-01-13 7:13 PM
#
Avatar image of I dunk for bananas
H/PC Elite

The device I have (a TV set top box repurposed as a CEPC) only has analogue video output, but it also has an unpopulated VGA header. There's a German tutorial for installing a VGA port onto the board, but I'm somewhat lost in regards to the pin arrangement. How do I know what pin to connect to what pin on the VGA port?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-13 7:16 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I don’t know anything about this but could you please link or upload that file you have and that way they can perhaps assist you better? That would be helpful I think to have access to
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-01-13 8:03 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If it is a standard VGA I/O sceptical header then you just drop the header on and solder life for like. If it is a breakout with some wiring and a non-standard header arrangement then really you should find the service manual. It could also be printed on the top or bottom of the PCB which pin is which. If you have access to neither then you need to work out which are the +5v and which two are the two grounds using a multi meter - get those three wrong and you might fry it. RG and B you can probably work out using test patters and the rest you'll have to guess.

Pin-out is on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector - you do not need all of them to get a picture.
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2023-01-13 9:39 PM
#
H/PC Elite

It's this:

Is this the standard output you mentioned?

(Untitled.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Untitled.jpg (96KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-01-13 10:10 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If there was any sanity in it then it would be wired for one of these https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/VersaLogic%20PDFs/VL-CBR-1007.pdf

Given that it only has 9 pins though and not 10...

Where is this tutorial? Doesn't it say?

What is on the other side of the PCB?
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2023-01-13 11:25 PM
#
H/PC Elite

This is the explanation. The images are all broken unfortunately and the way thing are formulated aren't especially clear
This link has more information about the matching of pins

Edited by I dunk for bananas 2023-01-13 11:43 PM
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2023-01-13 11:25 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Tomorrow I could take the PCB out of the case to have a look what the underside looks like
 Top of the page
Citgo Page Icon Posted 2023-01-14 8:39 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hey...
So the pins on the J5E1 are clearly marked. Pin 1 is this yellow arrow. Then behind comes pin 2. Beside of pin 1 is pin 3...and so on.
Pin 9 is not connected.
So take a pin header but leave the pin 9. And then connect it like they say in the link.
But they also say that you have to use an own CE image in order to get VGA work, on the original VGA is disabled.
Dont know what this mean but the connection shouldnt be that hard.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-01-14 11:24 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Seems to me that the second link tells you everything you need to know if you compare it to the PIN out on Wikipedia.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.217 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 10