x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows 11 Slowdown - Inserting USB / Downloading Files

1 2
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-17 11:20 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I can’t figure out why (but I suspect it’s the Microsoft Windows Defender built in antivirus but:
My Windows 11 22H2 laptop lags to the point where it’s basically unusable for 30 seconds when:
I plug in a usb flash drive
Download exe, zip files
Extract zip files using Windows Explorer

I suspect it’s the antivirus scanning but is it normal to bog the computer to where it’s not usable ?
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2023-01-18 1:18 AM
#
Avatar image of I dunk for bananas
H/PC Elite

If you open task manager you should see a process spike up in CPU usage, which one is it?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-01-18 10:37 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It can also be smart screen checking file signatures with Microsoft causing the delay if you have poor internet connectivity (or none)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-01-18 1:42 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

No, it's not normal.

I have a ASUS laptop with 11th gen. i5 with 8GB of RAM, but it doesn't do that when I plug in USB / HDD etc. It used to be a Windows 10 machine, I upgraded it to Windows 11.
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-01-18 3:38 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I imagine that you could easily prove if it's windows defender or not by disabling it temporarily and seeing if it's normal...
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-18 4:25 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I haven’t been able to replicate it but I had turned off a bunch of defender settings.
Let me play with it and I’ll follow up when I have an answer
I did update Firefox. I wonder if it was some sort of bug with that. Let me also install the Microsoft January 2022 patch Tuesday updates too
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-01-18 4:39 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Did you disable smart screen and reputation checking?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-18 4:55 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

To the first - I had almost all turned off but found the final two settings to also turn off
To the second - yes I turned that off

^I did all of the settings changes when I made the thread.
Maybe it worked- it was just weird because it didn't immediately take effect. Because the slowdowns were still occurring "Day 0" when I changed the settings
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-01-18 5:30 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

So...fixed now?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-18 5:32 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I think---I just thought it was odd that the new settings didn't immediately take effect. Maybe I'll re-enable everything and see?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-20 5:56 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

It happened again - the only process (other than VirtualBox) that was the highest CPU percentage was the Antimalware Service Executable which peaked at 7% (when the slowdown occurred)

Maybe it happens because my CPU isn't really meant to use VirtualBox, and thus the antimalware even though it's only 7% is enough to bog the computer down?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-01-20 8:09 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

What are the interrupt's doing and what is the disk queue when it happens? You'll have to run a trace.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2023-01-20 2:54 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Not to hijack the topic but...am I the only person who doesn't use anti-malware, virus protectors, or anything that is supposed to protect and guard your computers? Since the 1970s I have never used anything...not even firewalls...I either turn it off, disable it, or actually uninstall it from my OS.

One time I got the pesky FBI notice my computer was locked up after downloading and decompressing a pirated file...think they wanted me to send them $50.....guess that was in the early '90s, but since I religously (automatically) make routine hard drive images for backup using the old Symantec Ghost...even that wasn't a problem really...

I intensely hate anything that slows down my computers...and only once in 40 years was I bitten...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-01-20 3:26 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Well presumably your broadband router is supplying an edge firewall, or you'd have long since been ravaged by the world and his wife
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-01-20 3:45 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Rich Hawley - 2023-01-20 2:54 PM

Not to hijack the topic but...am I the only person who doesn't use anti-malware, virus protectors, or anything that is supposed to protect and guard your computers? Since the 1970s I have never used anything...not even firewalls...I either turn it off, disable it, or actually uninstall it from my OS.

One time I got the pesky FBI notice my computer was locked up after downloading and decompressing a pirated file...think they wanted me to send them $50.....guess that was in the early '90s, but since I religously (automatically) make routine hard drive images for backup using the old Symantec Ghost...even that wasn't a problem really...

I intensely hate anything that slows down my computers...and only once in 40 years was I bitten...

That stuff and the constant "security updates" are all pushing us closer and closer to operating system as a service. They want you to rent everything and own nothing. It's horrifying.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8