x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 690 Questions

Primo007 Page Icon Posted 2023-01-29 7:38 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hey all, I just got my first HPC, a Jornada 690, and I'm quite impressed by it so far!
I was wonder if there were any alternative sync cables, since the ones on eBay labeled for the Jornada are ridiculously priced.
Are programs for 7xx series mostly compatible with the 690?
And has anyone modded an audio jack onto one of these?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-29 7:43 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Welcome to HPC:Factor!
Have you considered using Infrared to sync ? You’d have to purchase a usb irda adapter that supports the protocol called SIR (115kbps speed) which are becoming more difficult to find these days.
I’m not sure if that would be more economical than locating a serial cable.

Have you considered also just using a cf card and transferring files that way? (But if you’re trying to sync pim data that’s a little different )

Which programs were you looking for?
A vast majority of major programs are still available for the 690 (using the sh3 processor). I can try and recommend some.

Go ahead and also check the SCL we have here (click support tab, scroll down). Then check compatibility table for which ones say SH3
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2023-01-29 7:49 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

And, to answer your question, no, nothing written for the 7xx series will work on the 690, because the 7xx series used an ARM processor (as opposed to the 690's SH3 processor).
 Top of the page
Primo007 Page Icon Posted 2023-01-29 8:32 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

torch - 2023-01-28 11:43 PM

Have you considered using Infrared to sync ? You’d have to purchase a usb irda adapter that supports the protocol called SIR (115kbps speed) which are becoming more difficult to find these days.
I’m not sure if that would be more economical than locating a serial cable.

Have you considered also just using a cf card and transferring files that way? (But if you’re trying to sync pim data that’s a little different )

Which programs were you looking for?
A vast majority of major programs are still available for the 690 (using the sh3 processor). I can try and recommend some.

Go ahead and also check the SCL we have here (click support tab, scroll down). Then check compatibility table for which ones say SH3

I've been using CF for the majority of my file transfer, but my 690 came with a wireless card (Netgear MA701) which I was able to find drivers for OK, but it's a windows application that uses ActiveSync. I do have an old XP laptop with IR, but the GPU needs reflowing, though I will look into getting a usb transceiver.
 Top of the page
Citgo Page Icon Posted 2023-01-29 9:03 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I had the same problems.
The most files I transfer is with the CF card.
But I also use my DIY dockingstation to connect the pins on the bottom of the 690.
Or you open the Jornada and lead out the pins of the serial connector.
But for me, it is good enough to use the CF because I don't need the PIM stuff to sync. Why should I edit and organize these things on my PC when I can use the Jornada?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-01-29 9:15 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Contrary to the above you can use either SIR or FIR.

I found this a few months back, but I have not tested one:

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_Dk1fFsx

There were no third party cables. The connectors were proprietary.

As had been said, 700 series apps won't run on the 600 series. Wrong CPU architecture. Wrong OS version.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-30 9:06 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Primo007 - 2023-01-29 1:32 AM

I've been using CF for the majority of my file transfer, but my 690 came with a wireless card (Netgear MA701) which I was able to find drivers for OK, but it's a windows application that uses ActiveSync. I do have an old XP laptop with IR, but the GPU needs reflowing, though I will look into getting a usb transceiver.

I just checked the HCL and you need to go here download the "inflated.zip", extract it, the locate the file named "MA701 Wireless CF Card Config Utility.10003.cab", copy that to your CF card, and install directly on your device.
Per this page, 10003 is the "Processor code" for SH3, thus your device.
Theoretically, that should allow you to install the driver on your device without ActiveSync.

Let us know how it goes!

Edit: it looks like your particular card can potentially have issues with your device. Please read this article as well in full

Edited by torch 2023-01-30 9:09 PM
 Top of the page
Primo007 Page Icon Posted 2023-01-31 5:20 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Whenever I insert the wireless card with the adapter the new window pops up asking for the driver name, and the light briefly flashes as per the known issues page said. I have gotten it to hold on by some random jumble of inserting the card and closing the dialogue box as another one pops up, but this feels more like a fluke than anything. This all was without drivers though, as I don't have access to the downloads page yet. Looks like I gotta get to being a useful member of this forum! lol
I should also note that this card came with the Jornada as a set when I bought it, so I would assume the previous owner bought the adapter specifically for it.
 Top of the page
Primo007 Page Icon Posted 2023-01-31 5:23 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Citgo - 2023-01-29 1:03 AM

But I also use my DIY dockingstation to connect the pins on the bottom of the 690.

How'd you make that? Is there just a serial connection on the bottom or does it need to be adapted in some way?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-31 5:33 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Primo007 - 2023-01-30 10:20 PM

Whenever I insert the wireless card with the adapter the new window pops up asking for the driver name, and the light briefly flashes as per the known issues page said. I have gotten it to hold on by some random jumble of inserting the card and closing the dialogue box as another one pops up, but this feels more like a fluke than anything. This all was without drivers though, as I don't have access to the downloads page yet. Looks like I gotta get to being a useful member of this forum! lol
I should also note that this card came with the Jornada as a set when I bought it, so I would assume the previous owner bought the adapter specifically for it.

I also went into the driver page for this, which is listed as the "Alternate Driver" and extracted the files for you so they're also direct .cab installers you can copy to a CF card to install (not having to use ActiveSync/Serial Cable to transfer)
So you'll select the file called "wl100-211-inflated.7z"
Extract that.
Then use the file called "WL100.10003.CAB" and copy that to your CF card to try that driver.
 Top of the page
Primo007 Page Icon Posted 2023-01-31 7:45 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I've also been trying to install JLiME on it through this guide (https://deuill.org/code/jlime-vargtass/installing/) which says that it comes with many drivers for wifi cards, so I'm crossing my fingers that one of them will work. Installation has been going well, but I can't find the required zImage-2.6.17 kernel anywhere. Is there a download somewhere or am I just missing a step?
 Top of the page
Citgo Page Icon Posted 2023-01-31 8:15 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Primo007 - 2023-01-31 6:23 AM

Citgo - 2023-01-29 1:03 AM

How'd you make that? Is there just a serial connection on the bottom or does it need to be adapted in some way?

The serial connection is lead out to the serial connector AND to the bottom pins. In my dockingsstation thread I posted a schematic.
All you need is Rx, Tx and GND
 Top of the page
Primo007 Page Icon Posted 2023-01-31 8:30 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Excellent, thank you!
 Top of the page
Citgo Page Icon Posted 2023-01-31 8:36 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Oh btw... Rx, Tx and GND is always the minimum of a RS232 connection. I don't know how ActiveSync works. If its need handshake and other pins for example.
But on my schematics you can see the other pin allocation as well.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-01-31 3:29 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Primo007 - 2023-01-31 12:45 AM

I've also been trying to install JLiME on it through this guide (https://deuill.org/code/jlime-vargtass/installing/) which says that it comes with many drivers for wifi cards, so I'm crossing my fingers that one of them will work. Installation has been going well, but I can't find the required zImage-2.6.17 kernel anywhere. Is there a download somewhere or am I just missing a step?

I found this thread for you. Not sure if it'll help. I quoted below

CAuser - 2007-10-11 2:58 PM

I followed closely the installation manual about installing donkey on J690, but did not succeed.

I had to use
tar xjvf ~/donkey....tar.bz2
instead of
tar ~xzvpf ~/userland-xxx.tar.gz
because the latter simply does not exist!

Also, I had to use
cp cf-jlime/boot/zImage-2.6.17 cf-win/zImage-2.6.17
instead of
cp cf_jlime/boot/zImage cf_win/zImage

When I ran shlo.exe, the system reported 'loading failed: \Storage Card2\zImage-2.6.17'

Any hints are appreciated.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10