x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Introduction and release of an application

WinCEDev Page Icon Posted 2023-02-06 1:26 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hello,

Long time lurker here, I finally decided to make an account and also share with you one of my programs that I have been utilizing for personal use on my Jornada 680.

This application converts between regular typed sentences and their phonetic equivalents. For my job I occasionally have to call people abroad and because English is not my first language it sometimes helps to transfer important information this way like URLs, usernames, passwords, etcetera. For me it's sometimes difficult to quickly recall the right phonetic words to use, but not for my Jornada.

The application is written in eVB 3.0 and contains two phonetic alphabets: English and Dutch. They are defined as simple tab-delimited text files containing a field for the character code and phonetic word to convert to. If your desired language is not listed you can simply make a new text file and place it in the application directory in "Program Files" to have it show up. If your desired language is missing and you decide to make a conversion file for it please let me know so I can include it with the application.

I'm releasing this as a beta version as the application will sometimes start to behave erratically when a lot of text is entered in the input box or the language is switched many times. I believe this is due to a problem with the eVB CommandBar control, since I cannot reproduce it if I remove it from my application, I am still trying to get to the cause of these issues.

Let me know what you think if you decide to give it a try.

Screenshots:

Links:

GitHub Repo
Releases
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-02-06 2:49 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Hi! Welcome to the forum

Looks like a pretty neat app.
 Top of the page
Citgo Page Icon Posted 2023-02-06 4:11 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hello and welcome

Cool idea, I will test the app later.
 Top of the page
Citgo Page Icon Posted 2023-02-06 10:55 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

First look: Very neat app.
The more text you type in, the slower it gets. But it's ok if you don't "translate" whole texts.
For phrases it is very usefull.
 Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2023-02-06 12:28 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Nice app idea! Sounds useful and easy to add new language options too, will give it a go
 Top of the page
Citgo Page Icon Posted 2023-02-06 2:46 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

One little thing, in your sourcecode, there is the .frx file missing of the frmmain
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-02-06 6:44 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Nice looks great!
We added it to the SCL and gave you credit
https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/2051/WinCEDev/Telephone_Alphabet/versi...
It works on my x86 Windows CE thin client (after extracting the .vb file from the cab)
 Top of the page
WinCEDev Page Icon Posted 2023-02-07 12:15 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi all, thanks for the warm welcome and kind replies!

Citgo - 2023-02-06 11:55 AM

First look: Very neat app.
The more text you type in, the slower it gets. But it's ok if you don't "translate" whole texts.
For phrases it is very usefull.

Good point, I mostly intended the application to process small snippets, like a username or website address if you need to spell it out to someone over the phone. While I made some effort to not do work unnecessarily (only the last key entered is converted and appended to the output TextBox at the cursor location of the input), since eVB has to copy the entire string each time it is modified it is probably not enough to keep things smooth with larger inputs. I'll soon add an option to only update the output shortly after you've stopped entering text, and then maybe later I'll look at making a string buffer to modify the contents directly.

Citgo - 2023-02-06 3:46 PM

One little thing, in your sourcecode, there is the .frx file missing of the frmmain

I double checked my source files but no .frx was generated for that form. If I'm not mistaken, at least for VB6, it is used to store control properties that cannot be represented as plain text and long strings. For eVB I think only the long strings apply, but because I'm storing those inside a resource file it may not have a need to generate a .frx.

torch - 2023-02-06 7:44 PM

Nice looks great!
We added it to the SCL and gave you credit
https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/2051/WinCEDev/Telephone_Alphabet/versi...
It works on my x86 Windows CE thin client (after extracting the .vb file from the cab)

Awesome, thanks for testing and adding it to the SCL.
I'll add a .zip archive with just the .vb and support files to the release page with the next version, I've also been reading up on making a device independent .cab file as discussed in Kilotecs Software Corner (some very nice looking apps there, too) so I'll be giving that a try soon as well.
 Top of the page
Citgo Page Icon Posted 2023-02-07 6:05 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

WinCEDev - 2023-02-07 1:15 AM

Hi all, thanks for the warm welcome and kind replies!
I double checked my source files but no .frx was generated for that form. If I'm not mistaken, at least for VB6, it is used to store control properties that cannot be represented as plain text and long strings. For eVB I think only the long strings apply, but because I'm storing those inside a resource file it may not have a need to generate a .frx.

Ah ok. Yes that's right. I was just wondering because to open the project I need the sourcecode from the .frm and the controls from the .frx
Without I have to put those controls by myself on the form. Like in VB6. Mh...

I like the vertical and horizontal arrangement of the textboxes in your app. Really cool idea.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-02-07 4:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I could have sworn that I replied to this thread yesterday... but I don't see it!

Welcome, nice to have you here with us.

Nice job with the app. Under the capricious rules of... me... anyone who commercially releases new code after 1st December 2022 is given a Code Warrior badge. You have done this, so by the power vested in me, you are now a member of the Code Warriors (actually as of yesterday when I thought that I had replied)!

Do you have other app plans, or plans for the new version in mind?
 Top of the page
Citgo Page Icon Posted 2023-02-07 8:36 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Welcome to the Code Warriors!
Tale a beer...it's nice here
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-02-08 5:51 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I was able to try it out on my MobilePro 790 (CE3.0 MIPS) + MobilePro 900 (CE4.2 ARM) it works on both. (added compatibility data to SCL listing too)
 Top of the page
WinCEDev Page Icon Posted 2023-02-08 9:41 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

C:Amie - 2023-02-07 5:12 PM

I could have sworn that I replied to this thread yesterday... but I don't see it!

Welcome, nice to have you here with us.

Nice job with the app. Under the capricious rules of... me... anyone who commercially releases new code after 1st December 2022 is given a Code Warrior badge. You have done this, so by the power vested in me, you are now a member of the Code Warriors (actually as of yesterday when I thought that I had replied)!

Do you have other app plans, or plans for the new version in mind?

Thanks! The badges are such a fun idea, very nice.

Yes, I will definitely be releasing more applications, hopefully soon. I'm currently still ironing out the issues with this application and I'll probably have a new version ready in the coming days.

torch - 2023-02-08 6:51 PM

I was able to try it out on my MobilePro 790 (CE3.0 MIPS) + MobilePro 900 (CE4.2 ARM) it works on both. (added compatibility data to SCL listing too)

That's awesome, thanks for taking the time to test!
 Top of the page
WinCEDev Page Icon Posted 2023-03-09 11:43 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

It took a bit longer than I wanted, but I have just released a new version of the application that fixes several issues.

What's new:

• Erratic behavior when switching languages should now be fixed.

• Added German language file (this probably needs looking over as German isn't my native language).

• Added option to toggle auto-refresh.

• Added taskbar icon.

• The CommandBar icons now have a transparent background so they respect your Windows theme.

This release contains a CEF CAB file which contains no eVB runtime files. It is recommended you use this if you have already installed these runtimes another way to avoid problems when uninstalling the application. Otherwise, full CAB files containing the runtimes for each architecture are also provided.

Known issues:

• Adding diacritics to the language files (for example with German) can cause the eVB runtime to crash with an access violation. I'm still researching this issue.

Links:

Telephone Alphabet v0.9.1-beta (release)

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-03-10 3:49 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Nice! I added it to the SCL here
https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/2100/WinCEDev/Telephone_Alphabet/versi...

I’ll try and add testing data and screenshots soon.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10