x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

nPOPuk on Windows CE 2.0--no SSL?

torch Page Icon Posted 2023-02-06 7:00 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

So, just food for thought:
Without SSL, how does/can nPOPuk function on CE 2.0?
I know the CE2.0 never seemed to have SSL support, I know it's an ancient platform with a huge number of API differences between it and 2.11, thus a huge hurdle most likely to get SSL there, but what exactly can you do with nPOPuk without SSL?

Edited by torch 2023-02-06 7:00 PM
 Top of the page
WinCEDev Page Icon Posted 2023-02-12 8:16 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

If your mail account is on an Exchange server (like Outlook.com, Office 365 or locally) I have had great success with DavMail. How this works is the DavMail software runs on your computer and connects to the Exchange server normally (using modern encryption methods), it exposes a POP, IMAP and SMTP server that you can connect to with your device locally. The software will then relay e-mail from the Exchange server to your device. You can configure the DavMail server to your needs, encryption is disabled by default which is perfect for our Handheld PCs. I have had success connecting with nPOPuk and even the built-in Inbox (Outlook) client.

It's fairly simple to set up, but if there's interest I would be happy to write up a guide for it.

The drawback of this method is that you cannot easily check e-mail on the go since you'll need to be able to make a direct connection to the computer running DavMail. I'm still looking for a good travel router that supports WEP and lets me create an OpenVPN connection to my home network. Going through a VPN is the only way I would recommend accessing this externally, forwarding the ports directly is a huge security risk.

Edited by WinCEDev 2023-02-12 8:18 PM
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-02-12 8:40 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

torch - 2023-02-06 7:00 PM

So, just food for thought:
Without SSL, how does/can nPOPuk function on CE 2.0?
I know the CE2.0 never seemed to have SSL support, I know it's an ancient platform with a huge number of API differences between it and 2.11, thus a huge hurdle most likely to get SSL there, but what exactly can you do with nPOPuk without SSL?

You can connect to POP3 with and without SSL. Connecting without is just a bad idea from a security standpoint, but you can certainly choose to do so.

Edit: This is obviously dependent on the configuration of the server you're using for POP3. My provider offers both, but I doubt you could use e.g. gmail or outlook without it.

Edited by thenzero 2023-02-12 8:43 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 10