x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Ruggedized Laptop / Handheld PC

1 2
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-02-22 10:13 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Sorry about that, the correct way to write was ruggedized laptop and ruggedized handheld pc.

Edited by stingraze 2023-02-22 10:13 PM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-02-22 11:48 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

stingraze - 2023-02-22 3:13 PM

Sorry about that, the correct way to write was ruggedized laptop and ruggedized handheld pc.

No, it’s not that. It was on me for skimming the post. Anyway, I won’t make this more off topic than I already have ! Good luck and keep us updated on what you find out.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-02-23 12:10 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

OK!
 Top of the page
dionysius Page Icon Posted 2023-03-06 8:00 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

stingraze - 2023-02-21 3:04 PM

Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone has experience with using ruggedized laptops or handheld pcs. Is it hard to get? If there is any maker / model you recommend, do let me know.

-stingraze

I've used Panasonic Toughbooks a bit in previous jobs. Aside from being generally sturdy and heavy, the ports often have individual covers like in the attached image keeping them especially well protected. They are typically very generous in the number of ports as well.

From some quick searches, Toughbooks are quite available on ebay and local seller sites. They are widely used by military, police, search and rescue, on ships, etc. so if there are surplus auctions or sales anywhere near you those could also be a good place to get a cheap one.

I found a CF-54 in storage at my current workplace, ordered a power adapter off ebay, and got it working. I keep it around in case I ever need a serial port but I haven't had a chance to make use of it yet.

For something less heavy I'd recommend older Thinkpads. Still very sturdy but quite a bit less bulky than Toughbooks. The newer models get thinner every year.

Rugged PC Review has a large backlog of reviews of rugged laptops going back well over a decade so you could check there for info on particular models.

(ports.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ports.jpg (111KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-03-06 11:48 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Thank you for your recommendation and a picture of the ports.

Hm... Thinkpads, I hadn't thought of those. Thanks for the suggestion.
I actually have several Panasonic Let's Note, but they aren't a "real" ruggedized laptop, although it clears military standard on many models.

-stingraze
 Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2023-03-07 7:29 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

... or some HP Elitebook.
Mine is from 2019 with I5, IPS and 16GB.

Pretty sturdy for a lightweight office notebook and with partial metal case (display and frame).

Sometimes that feels too thin for me and I prefer something heavier. The Siemens 486 from 1994 (PCD-4N) is a good choice. Footprint like a CF18, robust as hell, no case yellowing
 Top of the page
dionysius Page Icon Posted 2023-03-07 1:11 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

I have an Elitebook 8570w from ~2012. It's a pretty well built laptop as well. The trackpoint doesn't quite match up to the ThinkPads' but at least it has one. Not a lot of other manufacturers put them on their laptops. I'm sure the newer models of that series are likewise afflicted with the trend of getting thinner each generation.

That PCD-4N certainly looks like it could take a few hits. It's incredible how some of those devices have held up. I'd like to get one of those 90s laptops myself sometime. It would be nice to have one with built-in IR for transferring to HPCs.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-03-08 10:07 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

dl1av - 2023-03-07 4:29 PM

Pretty sturdy for a lightweight office notebook and with partial metal case (display and frame).

Sometimes that feels too thin for me and I prefer something heavier. The Siemens 486 from 1994 (PCD-4N) is a good choice. Footprint like a CF18, robust as hell, no case yellowing

Nice choice! I went to Akihabara's famous Yodobashi Camera the other day and talked with a person from HP. He introduced me to various HP Elitebooks. Although not as sturdy as TOUGHBOOKs and the likes, it seems very durable, and I like their metal design.

-stingraze
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-03-08 10:08 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

dionysius - 2023-03-07 10:11 PM

I have an Elitebook 8570w from ~2012. It's a pretty well built laptop as well. The trackpoint doesn't quite match up to the ThinkPads' but at least it has one. Not a lot of other manufacturers put them on their laptops. I'm sure the newer models of that series are likewise afflicted with the trend of getting thinner each generation.

That PCD-4N certainly looks like it could take a few hits. It's incredible how some of those devices have held up. I'd like to get one of those 90s laptops myself sometime. It would be nice to have one with built-in IR for transferring to HPCs.

That's the first time I've heard about PCD-4N. I think when it was new, I was still about 5 or 6! lol. Looks very sturdy.

-stingraze
 Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2023-03-08 3:52 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

stingraze - 2023-03-08 11:08 AM

That's the first time I've heard about PCD-4N. I think when it was new, I was still about 5 or 6! lol. Looks very sturdy.

-stingraze

These machines are so cool. I will look out for a PCD-2N (the 286 model), too.

They were hell of expensive back in the days, even the b/w starting at 4000DM the colored at 6000. Thats the same amount in EUR/USD currency today.

Never affordable for a young man (who needs a car first) and mostly they were sold for industrial environment to set up stuff in production lines or telecommunications equipment.

The "German Toughbook" but the system came from a taiwanese manufacturer alls the years.

BTW: Noname notebooks started with half the price here in 1993.

They seem to be pretty common on ebay.de and often they are like new and look like they rested in the managers office safe all the time.

The PCD2 and PCD3 (386) need the special power converter. The PCD4 and above run with a common 20V plug with center pin.

I would recommend to look out for a colored one but they are quite rare. For the industrial setup the bw display was enough.

The Citizen W1D will need the usual new belt and the batteries need refurbishment. Everything else is for eternity

Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2023-03-08 3:56 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

stingraze - 2023-03-08 11:07 AM

dl1av - 2023-03-07 4:29 PM

Nice choice! I went to Akihabara's famous Yodobashi Camera the other day and talked with a person from HP. He introduced me to various HP Elitebooks. Although not as sturdy as TOUGHBOOKs and the likes, it seems very durable, and I like their metal design.

-stingraze

Meanwhile you get refurbished Elitebooks from around 2019 for about 250EUR. The bussinesses after Corona are one generation ahead and the old ones get dumped or resold.

There are hundreds of them availible on ebay.de. By my professional experience this is the best sold office notebookline here.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-03-09 11:03 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

dl1av - 2023-03-09 12:52 AM

stingraze - 2023-03-08 11:08 AM

-stingraze

These machines are so cool. I will look out for a PCD-2N (the 286 model), too.

They were hell of expensive back in the days, even the b/w starting at 4000DM the colored at 6000. Thats the same amount in EUR/USD currency today.

Never affordable for a young man (who needs a car first) and mostly they were sold for industrial environment to set up stuff in production lines or telecommunications equipment.

The "German Toughbook" but the system came from a taiwanese manufacturer alls the years.

BTW: Noname notebooks started with half the price here in 1993.

They seem to be pretty common on ebay.de and often they are like new and look like they rested in the managers office safe all the time.

The PCD2 and PCD3 (386) need the special power converter. The PCD4 and above run with a common 20V plug with center pin.

I would recommend to look out for a colored one but they are quite rare. For the industrial setup the bw display was enough.

The Citizen W1D will need the usual new belt and the batteries need refurbishment. Everything else is for eternity

I will keep an eye out for these in ebay.de, as I often just use ebay.com.
Yeah, Taiwanese companies even made Vaio laptops back in the days...
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 11