x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP Jornada 720 screen issues

LordEmilio Page Icon Posted 2023-02-26 3:44 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I have received a Jornada 720 a few weeks ago, and it worked fine. The screen, keyboard, touch feature, etc. was working. Even if I don't have any charger, I've used a lab power supply in order to recharge it.

Unfortunately, after a week or two, the display started glitching out. Lots of lines and colors everywhere. Nothing readable. So I said to myself that it was a cable issue, so I cracked open the PDA, and cleaned everything. Tying cables that were ought to be the issue. I've broken a few bits opening and putting back together, but it did not break the entire thing. Jornada's conception are a bit weird...

It did not fix the issue, the lines were still there, but when I left the PDA with the screen lit up, after a few minutes, the glitches went off and it worked back again.

However, I dropped the PDA yesterday on the ground, and when I tried to switch it on, it did not light up at all, I thought it was a CMS component that was unsoldered because of the fall, so I cracked it open once more, and it was just the screen cable that got disconnected. I put it back, and I also noticed that I screwed a screw on the cable that's linked to the weird white button on the center, I don't know what it's for... But it's working anyway.

Except that the glitching screen is back, and the "let it go" trick doesn't work anymore. As if the Jornada knew about this trick and prohibited itself to work again. Murphy's law, ya know...

Show spoiler...

Maybe it's a capacitor problem, but I don't know. Others say that Jornada's screens often have cable issues.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

LordEmilio

Extra keywords: screen tearing screen glitching out screen flickering HP Jornada 720 PDA PocketPC
 Top of the page
WinCEDev Page Icon Posted 2023-02-26 4:14 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Does the glitchy pattern on the screen change at all when you change the screen orientation or wiggle the cable a little?

I had a somewhat similar problem with my 680 a few weeks ago where the switch that detects if the screen is closed was stuck down, the backlight would light up but there would be nothing on the screen, soft or hard reset didn't fix it. I ended up closing and opening the display a couple of times and that seemed to have unstuck the switch. Yours doesn't sound like the same problem but might be worth taking a look at. Unfortunately I don't know where the switch is on the 720, on the 680 there's a little plastic 'nub' on the left hinge just below the Hewlett-Packard badge, but I don't see it on photos of the 720.

The white button in the center is for notifications, if you have set up an appointment in Outlook or an alarm set, it will flash green when it's due.
 Top of the page
LordEmilio Page Icon Posted 2023-02-26 5:16 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Well thanks for your fast answer.

Actually, moving the hinges won't change anything, the pattern is still very hectic.

Sometimes the picture is fading out and in on the right part of the screen.

I hope it will go on its own.
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-02-26 11:07 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

How far did you open it? There are more ribbon cable connections inside the case with the screen itself. The plastics in there are super delicate tho so be very gentle. Also if you haven't seen it, please refer to the CESD video that C:Amie made on disassembly as it's very helpful and informative.

https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200208/disassembling_the_hp_j...
 Top of the page
LordEmilio Page Icon Posted 2023-04-01 6:32 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Well, I put it away a while ago aside, but now, I've recharged it and it's working back again.

Still a bit glitchy from time to time, but eh, this is some old piece of hardware anyway.

I still have my other Cassiopeia under my hand, the main difference is that it uses a monochrome screen, but I like that.

Thanks for your answers anyway.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.160 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9