x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Handheld PC with internet capabilities

1 2
sroland81 Page Icon Posted 2023-03-07 1:38 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

Hi, i'm new here. I will spend a while reading all the posts here. As a beginners question i would like to ask what kind of H/PC would you recommend to me, that runs Linux and has some internet capabilities, like ssh, IRC, mail and terminal applications, maybe involving hamradio projects/logging stations or BBSing? I have read some on the HP Jornada 680/720 or similar models. I really like this hardware that has something special. Thanks to all and cheers!
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-03-08 6:44 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Hello, welcome to the forums, sroland81!
Unfortunately, I don't know that much about Linux on the Handheld PCs, but there were a few users getting NetBSD running on their devices. I'm not sure what offers more code / capabilities based on your list of: SSH, IRC, Mail, Terminal, BBS.

As I recall (but haven't personally tested), we do have some of these software you asked about for Linux but for Windows CE directly. I'm not sure how well they work, but some of what you said may work. Obviously, anything with SSL would theoretically be better on Linux, but here's some examples for Windows CE:

SSH: PocketPutty
Email: nPOPuk
IRC (but no SSL): Quackenchat and MonIRC amongst many others
Terminal: 24Term

If you do go the Windows CE route, and I'm guessing Linux, the ARM processor I would think is more ideal than the SH3 processor (the Jornada 720 has a CPU called ARM/ Jornada 680 is SH3). ARM should have much more software support. But I think there were some decent JLime for Jornada 680 versions?
 Top of the page
sroland81 Page Icon Posted 2023-03-08 12:50 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

Hi torch! thanks for your reply and for the info! I didn't mentioned, but DOS handheld PCs are good too. Maybe it is more difficult to perform internet tasks, like FTP, IRC and such, but i saw an HP 200LX connectng to a NetWare Server and even play DOS games. That was awesome! DOS pre-dates Linux so i don't expect running it on devices like the HP 200LX, but it could be also an option to go. I'm looking for used Jornadas 720/728 on eBay, let's see. Again, thank you!
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-03-08 2:32 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Yes, @Jake has done (amongst others) a great job of managing the DOS Palmtop forum ! He's very knowledgeable too should you ever do get one.
Here's a great thread about it too: https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20377&st...

Also, as for when/which handheld to buy - in my experience- don't rush, be patient. Check every day, or create a search alert for the few different models on eBay of what you're looking for - you'll eventually find a deal on something. And don't be afraid to "Make Offers" if the sellers have that option available.
 Top of the page
sroland81 Page Icon Posted 2023-03-12 2:39 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

Thank you very much for your comments. My main issue is with keyboards. Y absolutely love physical keyboards with some key heigth, I have a Sony Vaio Pocket (i know, it is not a handheld pc) but it is internet capable as of todays demands, but the keyboard although comfortable in size, the keys are so thin and the press travel very little and it is not for me. I like more substantial keyboards, more like say the Jornada 720 or 680. So i'm in the journey to look for some handheld pc that allows me to check my email when traveling, and that i can do some linux install on it because i'm a linux guy. Still looking, and thanks for your nice comments. If you have any suggestions, please throw them up!

cheers!
 Top of the page
sroland81 Page Icon Posted 2023-03-12 2:57 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

And another thing is the battery lasting. I read the HP 200LX battery lasts for about 40 hrs. Is this true? I don't mind having a CGA dot matrix display if i get that awesome autonomy. Todays laptops with big displays and power hungry CPUs get a few hours of battery time. I would give up color displays and other fancy features for more juice and reading my mail on a command line terminal. The thing would be a monochrome display handheld with wifi pcmcia capabilitiy and some way to check a few mail accounts (jabber messaging would be awesome), could be WindowsCE/whatever handheldOS but i prefer Linux OS if its possible, and good battery life (better than laptop).

PS: I'm reading the device section, it is awesome! congrats to you guys! pure gold info
 Top of the page
dionysius Page Icon Posted 2023-03-13 12:26 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

I have an extended battery for my Jornada 728 and if you're turning off the screen when you're not using it and keeping the brightness low whenever you can, you can get a week or more out of it with light use. I don't use the internet on it so a Wi-Fi card would take a good chunk out of that, but can probably be managed if you're disabling it when not actively using it.

I think few devices this size have a comparable typing experience to the Jornada, which was one of my primary motivators in getting one.

Looks like there is a Ham logging program in the SCL, and if that doesn't meet your needs there are tons of alternative note taking programs. My favourite is Tombo Notes.

Check out the H/PC Linux / Unix forum here for info on running Linux on the Jornada. Members here have done a lot of work getting newer versions of Devuan (fork of Debian without systemd) working on it.

Also keep in mind the Jornada and most of these devices boot from ROM so when you hard reset, you will have to launch Linux from Windows CE.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-03-13 2:11 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Welcome. If you look in the DOS Palmtop, you'll find a substantial number of posts and how-to's to get you on-line though email specifically will present problems (ssl issues particularly). I haven't overcome them, even when piggybacking on a desktop connection.

I have a Vaio, too, and its kb is better than anything you'll find within the devices here. Doesn't mean HPCs can't have more-than-adequate kbs (even the ancient Sharp Mobilons can perform well) but bigger is better and smaller--200LX, Zaurus, et all--creates the frustrations behind any compromise.

If you're looking at a J-720, you're on the right track, though the larger kbs of Mobilpros might be even better.

The rub with these things is that there's always a rub. Most folks here enjoy this kind of challenge rather than looking elsewhere.

Again, welcome, and good luck with your search.

Jake
 Top of the page
sroland81 Page Icon Posted 2023-03-13 2:34 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

Thank you! Yeah, i'm looking for Jornadas 720, NEC MobilePro 900 (a little bigger and heavier) and even the Jornada 680. I think i can run my old DOS games with PocketDOS and even boot Linux or NetBSD on them. All models have nice keyboards. NEC MobilePro 900 is almost the same size as the Vaio Pocket. I don't know how much the battery lasting time is across models. Read that J728 is about 14hsr and J720 about 9hs. Cannot find any battery lasting time for the NEC.

Top of the page
sroland81 Page Icon Posted 2023-03-13 3:18 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

Oh, and one important thing is the compatibility with NiMH batteries, i read somewhere that not all handhelds support NiMH, they support NiCd and that type of charger would overheat NiMH batteries. That would rule out some models i think.
 Top of the page
sroland81 Page Icon Posted 2023-03-13 5:07 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

I own a Sony Vaio P and it tends to overheat at the bottom, will any of these handelds overheat?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-03-13 5:35 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
re: heating. I can't remember any complaining about H/PC's. Unless you're re-celling your own J batteries, I think you'll be hard-pressed to get the 9+ hours that a new J battery was supposed to deliver. Most batteries these days are long in the tooth. There's a wifi card toggle available, and other ways to preserve batt life, but these are antiques in many ways.

Jake
 Top of the page
dionysius Page Icon Posted 2023-03-13 7:14 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

sroland81 - 2023-03-13 3:18 PM

Oh, and one important thing is the compatibility with NiMH batteries, i read somewhere that not all handhelds support NiMH, they support NiCd and that type of charger would overheat NiMH batteries. That would rule out some models i think.

I would try to use an official charger if possible.

Forum member @fantablium has made a video on making your own if you feel up to it.
Replace the battery in the HP Jornada 6xx or 7xx

Also check out his video on the differences between the Jornadas
Overview of the Jornada 720 and 728 compared to the 680, and competition winner!

sroland81 - 2023-03-13 5:07 PM

I own a Sony Vaio P and it tends to overheat at the bottom, will any of these handelds overheat?

I've never had any overheating problems with Jornadas 680e or 728.
 Top of the page
sroland81 Page Icon Posted 2023-03-14 12:34 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

Well, i completed my order. It is a NEC MobilePro 900 in very good shape, Let's see how it goes. It is not as tiny as the Jornada, but it has little more ram and CPU. Thanks for your comments. I'l continue in other threads of the forum.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-03-21 4:55 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

You're going to love the 900! @thenzero just got one recently too

Let us know what you think and if you have any questions. Congratulations on that!
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9