x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sharp Brain - How to Unlock / Specifications

1 2 3
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-03-09 8:44 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I was interested in adding the Sharp Brain device generations to our Devices page, so that way Sharp Brain users can start adding compatibility data to the SCL for testing programs.
I needed to know (or be linked) to the following information:
1-Specification data for all four [there's four, right?] Sharp Brain generations? a la in the format of this
1a-including the specific CE Versions - is it 6.0, or R2? etc

I'm not looking to having all of the work done for me, I'm happy to do some work too if I'm just pointed to the right place to find it

2-This one is a little more time-consuming, but it's a very important/vital goal - @C:Amie would like to see a CESD (CE Support Database) page on how to unlock the Sharp Brain to run CE Programs, etc
2a-So we'd like help with that to be pointed in the right direction, or if someone was interested in writing it that wasn't encumbering on anyone's licensing requirements for the site, credit would be given in writing the article
 Top of the page
watamario15 Page Icon Posted 2023-03-10 3:52 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

torch - 2023-03-09 4:44 PM

1-Specification data for all four [there's four, right?] Sharp Brain generations? a la in the format of this
1a-including the specific CE Versions - is it 6.0, or R2? etc

You can go through the device data which we have on Brain Wiki here by visiting each link. Brain Hackers has more detailed data for some of them at here. However, the specifics may differ between devices even within a generation, as these "generations" are determined only by the year and incremented when the user experience changed significantly. Especially the 1st and 2nd generation have this tendency. I may be able to give more information which Brain Wiki doesn't currently have due to its lack of importance, although for devices which I don't own (other than PW-SH1) it will be limited.

For the CE version, how can I confirm? fwiw I attached some pictures that may be relevant.

Oh, note that the 5th generation devices are not Windows CE devices. So exclude them when making a list.

torch - 2023-03-09 4:44 PM

2-This one is a little more time-consuming, but it's a very important/vital goal - @C:Amie would like to see a CESD (CE Support Database) page on how to unlock the Sharp Brain to run CE Programs, etc
2a-So we'd like help with that to be pointed in the right direction, or if someone was interested in writing it that wasn't encumbering on anyone's licensing requirements for the site, credit would be given in writing the article

Well, older SHARP Brains are not technically locked. They just have an electronic dictionary specific shell and lack many OS features that most standard HPCs have. Some newer models are locked, but you can easily work around this now. A detailed procedure to run a normal Windows CE app on both locked machines and not are written here. While I hope DeepL translator is useful enough, ask me to elaborate on some matters which doesn't make sense to you.

(brain-ce.jpg)

(brain-os.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments brain-ce.jpg (42KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments brain-os.png (49KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-03-11 4:01 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

First off, thank you for your reply, I had some thoughts and ideas, and wanted to run them by you and @C:Amie to see what you both think and we can move forward:
You can go through the device data which we have on Brain Wiki here by visiting each link. Brain Hackers has more detailed data for some of them at here. However, the specifics may differ between devices even within a generation, as these "generations" are determined only by the year and incremented when the user experience changed significantly. Especially the 1st and 2nd generation have this tendency. I may be able to give more information which Brain Wiki doesn't currently have due to its lack of importance, although for devices which I don't own (other than PW-SH1) it will be limited.

I understand, thank you for the explanation!! So we could theoretically add each model & each generation?
@C:Amie : if we do focus on this, how do you think the Devices page should regard the generations. I don't want to create a headache for the device page, but maybe we could just put it as "Sharp Brain Model 1 Generation 1" and so on? Or:
or Just put each model proper, but don't put the generation in the SCL, because even that could be variable?

For the CE version, how can I confirm? fwiw I attached some pictures that may be relevant.

Let's make this simple - do they all run CE 6.0? Let's just roll with that and just put 6.0 only, and not worry about R2, R3, etc.
Oh, note that the 5th generation devices are not Windows CE devices. So exclude them when making a list.

Agreed

Well, older SHARP Brains are not technically locked. They just have an electronic dictionary specific shell and lack many OS features that most standard HPCs have. Some newer models are locked, but you can easily work around this now. A detailed procedure to run a normal Windows CE app on both locked machines and not are written here. While I hope DeepL translator is useful enough, ask me to elaborate on some matters which doesn't make sense to you.

Okay, I have another idea.
@C:Amie @watamario15:
What if we focus on only adding the Sharp Brain models that aren't technically locked
Would the SCL compatibility data be a little more consistent than the locked models?
Meaning, Example Test App #123 would more than likely work on different generations of Sharp Brain Model 1?

Hope this isn't too wordy, I tried to be efficient here. Hope these ideas are some good starting points!
 Top of the page
watamario15 Page Icon Posted 2023-03-11 12:59 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

torch - 2023-03-11 12:01 PM

So we could theoretically add each model & each generation?

I suggest that you just add each model and write its generation in Brain Wiki definition as a description. The Brain Wiki definition of generations is quite rough but makes it easier to identify the device specs. However, some devices will get rough information since Brain Wiki isn't complete.

Let's make this simple - do they all run CE 6.0?

Yes, they do.

What if we focus on only adding the Sharp Brain models that aren't technically locked
Would the SCL compatibility data be a little more consistent than the locked models?
Meaning, Example Test App #123 would more than likely work on different generations of Sharp Brain Model 1?

The locked models are marked as the 4th generation on Brain Wiki. Devices in this generation, except for business models, check an executable that is selected to be launched to see if it's an SHARP official app, and cancel the execution when it's not. However, a developer recently created an app that passes this validation and launches any app. So the lock is no longer a problem.

The developer made two versions of it, which are

• exploreropener: Passes the validation and launches explorer.exe, to allow the user to run any app from the Explorer window

• exeopener: Passes the validation and launches an exe file that has the same name as exeopener (usually AppMain.exe) but has an underscore (_) before ".exe" (usually AppMain_.exe)

The lock doesn't work on apps that are started outside of the dictionary shell. So after you open a task management app or something that has the ability to run another app, the lock becomes meaningless.

Edited by watamario15 2023-03-11 1:00 PM
 Top of the page
watamario15 Page Icon Posted 2023-03-11 3:43 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

OK I made a quick list that groups devices that share similar characteristics to make the research easier. I omitted "PW-" from these names so add it when you actually research or make a list (ex. AC890 is actually PW-AC890). There may be some tiny differences within a group, but I guess this is a good starting point as you can fix them later.

1st gen
-----
AC830, AC880: No touch support on the main display, rechargeable
TC980: One segment TV support, rechargeable
GC590, GC610, AC890, AC900, AC910, AC920: rechargeable
G4000, G5000, G5100, A7000, A9000: AA battery

2nd gen: CPU and memory got upgraded, and the font is now smooth
-----
G4200, G5200, G5300, A7200, A7300, A7400, A9100, A9200, A9300: AA battery
GX500, GC300: Tablet style, rechargeable

3rd gen: Display got wider (800x480)
-----
SJ1, SH1, HC4, SB1, SA1, SR1, SJ2, SH2, HC5, SB2, SA2, SJ3, SH3, HC6, SB3, SA3: rechargeable
SJ3, SH3, HC6, SB3, SA3: Display got even wider (854x480) but usable area didn't change since the newly added area is reserved as dynamic buttons, rechargeable

4th gen: Hardware didn't change much but locked
-----
All: rechargeable

(5th gen: Looks the same as the 4th gen, but the internal is completely changed. No longer Windows CE.)
(-----)
(All: rechargeable)

And I think The CeOpener Experience: Tapping into Sharp Brain's WinCE desktop is also a good article to understand how to launch a Windows CE app on SHARP Brain. And what you need as the folder name is: ??? (APULI). I wasn't able to post these characters in the past on this forum but the 2nd try here.

Edit: OK seems still doesn't work. Another attempt with CODE block.

??? 

2nd edit: well then, I made a GitHub Gist just contains this string here: https://gist.github.com/watamario15/4cbbb8622ae56e49f4af4494b3fdf799

Edited by watamario15 2023-03-11 3:47 PM
 Top of the page
AximUser Page Icon Posted 2023-03-11 6:12 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Awesome summary watamario.

I would like to highlight the "1seg" feature. That was basically low-bandwidth TV broadcast. I think it targeted mobile phones but there were accessories sold for other electronics like the Nintendo DS, Sony PSP, Sony Walkman, PC dongle, etc. There was an extendable metal antenna (at least on some devices).

I think this was deployed c.2006 in Japan (similar systems used in some other countries too). I don't know if the service still is available or usage trends over the years but have seen older TV shows & movies with lots of people using them in the trains. In Tokyo, I don't remember people using this c.2011 so maybe it declined quickly? The iPhone didn't have 1seg so might have been one killer.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-03-11 7:05 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

AximUser - 2023-03-12 3:12 AM

I would like to highlight the "1seg" feature. That was basically low-bandwidth TV broadcast. I think it targeted mobile phones but there were accessories sold for other electronics like the Nintendo DS, Sony PSP, Sony Walkman, PC dongle, etc. There was an extendable metal antenna (at least on some devices).

I think this was deployed c.2006 in Japan (similar systems used in some other countries too). I don't know if the service still is available or usage trends over the years but have seen older TV shows & movies with lots of people using them in the trains. In Tokyo, I don't remember people using this c.2011 so maybe it declined quickly? The iPhone didn't have 1seg so might have been one killer.

1 seg used to be in most smartphones, but it seems many lack it in recent models in Japan. I guess it's because we can stream many TVs on web services and there are countless videos on YouTube? Like you said, iPhone not having 1seg may have set the trend for not having 1 seg.

I used to have XPERIA XZ3, and I think that had 1seg, but you had to plug in an earphone to watch it. (It acted as an antenna)

Edited by stingraze 2023-03-11 7:06 PM
 Top of the page
watamario15 Page Icon Posted 2023-03-12 3:05 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

AximUser - 2023-03-12 2:12 AM

1-seg broadcasting is still available in Japan: https://twitter.com/puhitaku/status/1534365377706487808
I think the number of smartphones with 1-seg has declined but many car navigation systems have it as the fallback to full-seg when it gets unstable.

Edited by watamario15 2023-03-12 3:15 PM
 Top of the page
watamario15 Page Icon Posted 2023-03-12 3:09 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

As the next step, I made the following list. There are slight differences between devices in a group as I noted above, espacially for dimensions, weight, and in the box, but I didn't bother to cover them all as they are too small to care (like, who would care the just 5 grams of difference? ). You can visit their product page to find correct values if you need. I hope with translator and comparing to the following list, you get what the values in the product page mean.

To find the product page for each model is easy. For example, PW-AC830 is
https://jp.sharp/support/dictionary/product/pw-ac830.html
Then PW-SH7 is
https://jp.sharp/support/dictionary/product/pw-sh7.html
So you can just replace the model in these URLs to get to a desired page.

Universal
-----
Manufacturer: Sharp
HPC Name: Sharp Brain PW-(model #)
Device Class: Electronic Dictionary
CE Version: Windows Embedded CE 6.0 Core
Availability: (Discontinued)
CPU Type:
- TMPA910CRAXBG (1st-gen) / i.MX283 (2nd-gen and later)
- Bus Width: 32-bit
- Core: ARM926EJ-S
- Instruction Set: Armv5TEJ
CPU Clock Speed: 200 MHz (1st-gen, estimated) / 454 MHz (2nd-gen and later)
RAM: SDRAM 64 MB + NOR Flash 32 MB (1st-gen) / 128 MB (2nd-gen and later)
ROM: 4 GB or 8 GB (1st-gen, estimated) / 8 GB (2nd-gen and later)
Persistent Storage Area (PSA): Yes
Upgradeable ROM: No
Graphics Chip: No
Display Type: TFT
Backlight: Yes
Screen Dot Pitch: Unknown
Colour Depth: 65,536 Colours (16-bit)
Touch Screen: Yes except for AC830 and AC880
Keyboard: Yes except for GX500 and GC300
Built-in Pointer: No
External Mouse: No
Other Input: No
RS232 Serial: No
Infrared (IrDA): No
USB Host: No
USB Client: Yes
VGA Connector: No
External VGA Resolution: No
Port Replicator: No
Additional Ports: No
Built-in Modem: None
Built-in LAN (Wired Network): No
Built-in WiFi (Wireless Network): No
Built-in BlueTooth: No
Built-in Cellular: No
CF Slot Type: No
PC Card Slot Type: No
MMC Slot: No
Built-in Speaker: Monoaural
Headphone Slot: Yes
Mic Slot: No
Backup Battery: No
Software in ROM: Dictionary
Software on CD: No

1st gen specific: 2008-2011
-----
AC830, AC880
- Dimensions LxWxH: 145.0 mm x 107.95 mm x 21.5 mm
- Weight: 360g
- Screen Visual Area: 106 mm x 71 mm (Diagonal: 5 in)
- Screen Resoloution: 480 x 320 (Half VGA)
- SD/SDIO Slot: SD
- Built-in Mic: Unknown
- Mains (AC) Rating: Unknown
- Primary Battery: Lithium Ion
- In the box: Lithium Ion Battery, AC Adapter, DLC Manager (CD-ROM), Stylus, Earphone, USB Cable, Manual, Quick Guide, QUICK REFERENCE, Customer Service Introduction, Brain Library Introduction, Contents Card (Addon) Catalog

TC980
- Dimensions LxWxH: 145.0 mm x 107.95 mm x 22.4 mm
- Weight: 379g
- SD/SDIO Slot: SD
- In the box: Lithium Ion Battery, AC Adapter, DLC Manager (CD-ROM), Stylus, Earphone, USB Cable, Manual, Quick Guide, QUICK REFERENCE, Customer Service Introduction, Brain Library Introduction, Contents Card (Addon) Catalog
- Additional Info: One Segment TV support

GC590, GC610, AC890, AC900, AC910, AC920
- Dimensions LxWxH: 145.0 mm x 108.00 mm x 22.4 mm
- Weight: 360g
- SD/SDIO Slot: microSD
- In the box: Lithium Ion Battery, AC Adapter, DLC Manager (CD-ROM), Stylus, Earphone, USB Cable, Manual, Quick Guide, Customer Service Introduction, Brain Library Introduction

G4000, G5000, G5100, A7000, A9000
- Dimensions LxWxH: 149.0 mm x 114.3 mm x 19.7 mm
- Weight: 348g
- SD/SDIO Slot: microSDHC
- Mains (AC) Rating: N/A
- Primary Battery: AA Battery x 2
- In the box: AA Battery x 2, Earphone, Stylus, USB Cable

2nd gen specific: 2012-2013
-----
G4200, G5200, G5300, A7200, A7300, A7400, A9100, A9200, A9300
- Dimensions LxWxH: 149.0 mm x 110.2 mm x 19.4 mm
- Weight: 305g
- Mains (AC) Rating: 5V DC via USB
- Primary Battery: AA Battery x 2
- In the box: AA Battery x 2, Earphone, Stylus, USB Cable

GX500, GC300
- Dimensions LxWxH: 151.0 mm x 99.6 mm x 10.5 mm
- Weight: 220g
- In the box: Earphone, Stylus, AC Adapter, Lithium Ion Battery, USB Cable, Cover, Collection of Problems for Educational Videos
- Additional Info: Tablet style

3rd gen specific: 2014-2016
-----
SJ1, SH1, HC4, SB1, SA1, SR1, SJ2, SH2, HC5, SB2, SA2, SJ3, SH3, HC6, SB3, SA3
- Dimensions LxWxH: 152.4 mm x 96.5 mm x 18.8 mm
- Weight: 295g
- Screen Visual Area: 112.2 mm x 67.3 mm (Diagonal: 5.2 in)
- Screen Resoloution: 800 x 480 (Wide VGA)
- SD/SDIO Slot: microSDHC (as official, but can read/write microSDXC)
- Built-in Mic: Yes but don't know whether a standard Windows CE app can use it
- In the box: Stylus, AC Adapter, microUSB Cable

SJ3, SH3, HC6, SB3, SA3
- Dimensions LxWxH: 152.4 mm x 96.5 mm x 18.7 mm
- Weight: 300g
- Screen Visual Area: 121.1 mm x 68.0 mm (Diagonal: 5.5 in)
- Screen Resoloution: 854 x 480 (Wide VGA +
- SD/SDIO Slot: microSDHC (as official, but can read/write microSDXC)
- Built-in Mic: Yes but don't know whether a standard Windows CE app can use it
- In the box: Stylus, AC Adapter, microUSB Cable

4th gen specific: 2017-2020
-----
Dimensions LxWxH: 152.4 mm x 96.5 mm x 18.4 mm
Weight: 290g
Screen Visual Area: 121.1 mm x 68.0 mm (Diagonal: 5.5 in)
Screen Resoloution: 854 x 480 (Wide VGA +
SD/SDIO Slot: microSDXC
Built-in Mic: Yes but don't know whether a standard Windows CE app can use it
Mains (AC) Rating: 5V DC via USB
Primary Battery: 1800mAh Lithium Ion
In the box: Stylus, AC Adapter, microUSB Cable
Additional Info: Models except for business ones are locked from running Windows CE apps, but easily bypassable with exploreropener and exeopener

Although I hope this list is fine enough as a starting point, feel free to ask me if there are issues, questions, etc.

Edited by watamario15 2023-03-12 3:27 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-03-12 4:22 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

torch - 2023-03-11 4:01 AM

First off, thank you for your reply, I had some thoughts and ideas, and wanted to run them by you and @C:Amie to see what you both think and we can move forward:

I understand, thank you for the explanation!! So we could theoretically add each model & each generation?
@C:Amie : if we do focus on this, how do you think the Devices page should regard the generations. I don't want to create a headache for the device page, but maybe we could just put it as "Sharp Brain Model 1 Generation 1" and so on? Or:
or Just put each model proper, but don't put the generation in the SCL, because even that could be variable?

Let's make this simple - do they all run CE 6.0? Let's just roll with that and just put 6.0 only, and not worry about R2, R3, etc.

Agreed

Okay, I have another idea.
@C:Amie @watamario15:

Hope this isn't too wordy, I tried to be efficient here. Hope these ideas are some good starting points!

Why do you think that they need new D&S entries? What is different about the hardware that warrants an entirely new device?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-03-12 9:43 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

C:Amie - 2023-03-12 9:22 AM

Why do you think that they need new D&S entries? What is different about the hardware that warrants an entirely new device?

To clarify, do you mean why to add the Sharp Brain at all?
Or are you asking about why the different hardware variations of the same model warrant a new D&S entry?

watamario15: thank you. I’m going to work on this stuff soon.
 Top of the page
AximUser Page Icon Posted 2023-03-13 2:53 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Below are a few old Sharp catalogs in PDF form which can help us visualise the annual line up instantly.

We can see some of these models are "duplicate hardware", differentiated by included dictionaries & case colours.

Go directly to the summary pages noted below. We couldn't find all the catalogs or all the models. Some of these models are quite interesting and some are not on the brain.fandom.com wiki (maybe not CE or upgradable?)

2020 (pp.17-18)
https://web.archive.org/web/20201001080258/https://jp.sharp/catalog/pdf/infod-edictionary.pdf

SS7
SH7
SB7
AJ2
AA2
SS6
SH6
SB6
AJ1
AA1
NA1 (black & white screens)
NK1 (black & white screens)

2019 (pp.5-6)
https://web.archive.org/web/20191101034106/https://jp.sharp/catalog/...

SS6
SH6
SB6
AA1
AJ1
SH5
SB5
SA5
SJ5
NA1
NK1

2017 (pp.11-12)
https://web.archive.org/web/20171018164755/http://www.sharp.co.jp/ca...

SH4
SJ4
SB4
SA4
SH3
SJ3
SB3
SA3
NA1
NK1
M100

2014 (pp.7-8)
https://web.archive.org/web/20140525172651/http://www.sharp.co.jp/ca...

SB1
SA1
SH1
SJ1
A9300
A7400
G5300
AC11
AC21
AC30
AC40
GC50
AM700
AM500
M100

2013 (pg.10)
https://web.archive.org/web/20140708125847/http://www.sharp.co.jp/ca...

A9300
A7400
A7300
G5300
GC50
AC11
AC21
AC30
AC40
AM700
AM500
M100
660NX
630NX

2012-13 (pg.2)
https://web.archive.org/web/20120506171047/http://www.sharp.co.jp/ed...

A9200
A7200
A9000
A7000
A8050
G5200
G4200
G5100
G4000
GM510
GC50
AC30
AC40
AC20
AC10
AC110
AM700
AM500
M800
M100
660NX
630NX

2010 Lineup (online summary page with links - can't find PDF)
https://web.archive.org/web/20100822040727/http://www.sharp.co.jp/su...

A3500
A700
A8050
A8400
A8410
A8500
A8800
AC10
AC110
AC830
AC880
AC890
AC900
AC910
AC920
AM700
AT750
AT760
AT770
AT780
AT790
C8000
G500
GC590
GC610
GM510
GT550
GT570
J5000
LT220
LT300
LT320
M100
M800
M850
N8000
N8100
S7200
TC900
TC920
TC930
TC980
V8100
V8600
V8900
V8910
V9400
V9500
V9550
PA-630
PA-660
PA-860
PA-F500
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-03-13 11:38 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

torch - 2023-03-12 9:43 PM

Or are you asking about why the different hardware variations of the same model warrant a new D&S entry?

Why multiple? I can't see the need for more than 1.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-03-13 10:19 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

C:Amie - 2023-03-13 4:38 AM

torch - 2023-03-12 9:43 PM

Why multiple? I can't see the need for more than 1.

We’re on the same page, I just wanted to lay out the different options available and have you be the final decision before I do anything.
So you want me to add the Sharp Brain once to the devices page and then maybe we can put the more detailed data on the models and generations into a separate CESD article?
And later on, we could also add the unlocking info?
@AximUser @watamario15
Thank you for all of your help
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-03-14 10:34 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

@torch, yes, all fine there.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 10