x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

[FS: Global] Monochrome H/PC 2000: Itronix Husky Fex21

torch Page Icon Posted 2023-03-09 9:58 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

This auction is for one Itronix FEX21, as pictured.

Guaranteed to work (except battery).

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me and I will try to get an answer to you.

Thank you.

Warranty: You have a 14 day warranty.

Looks like a great deal - HPC2000 Monochrome Device

Disclaimer: Not my listing
Also here's a Reddit user (unrelated to eBay) posting a picture https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsCE/comments/esb2mr/a_husky_fex21_ce3...

Edited by torch 2023-03-09 10:00 AM

(s-l1600.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments s-l1600.jpg (266KB - 2 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2023-03-10 7:10 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I always hated the Fex's form factor. I called it "the clamshell that wasn't." I'd rather have a full tablet with a software keyboard. But a monochrome H/PC 2000 device is pretty cool.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-03-10 7:13 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Well, can I pick your brain for advice ?
Would it be a good e-reader? Maybe easy on the eyes ?
HPC2000 is pretty amazing for software support. I may jump on this.

The only thing that scares me is that power adapter if it ever breaks or is lost. The other owner of one had a heck of a time finding one.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2023-03-10 7:21 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'd again prefer a full tablet for an e-reader, to cut down on the scrolling. I can see the advantage of a monochrome LCD screen for reading outdoors though.

As for software support, just remember it's MIPS.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-03-10 7:25 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Fair. Plus this looks like an RSI nightmare. Thank you for keeping me sane, CE Geek.

Plus it’s MIPS 3000 I think maybe. Blehhh

Edited by torch 2023-03-10 7:26 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2023-03-10 7:33 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'm not knocking MIPS itself, as I'm sure you know by now. I just hate the lack of software support after everyone went ARM. Both MIPS and SH4 were perfectly good processors. It's a shame they got abandoned in the mobile device market, though I understand that it must've been a pain for developers to have to write multiple processor versions for everything.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-03-11 4:16 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I laugh, only because, dealing with how dreadful the selection of software for x86 Windows CE has made me look at MIPS through a different lens, and I'm immensely grateful for how much more software is available for MIPS versus x86.
Though, thanks to Rich especially (for TextMaker x86 trial), and compiling efforts of gjcoram, soju, I dunk for bananas and thenzero x86 is getting more bearable, also thankful for the VB programs from Citgo, WinCEDev, and LordEmilio. It really is a new world!
But, I digress from the topic, really MIPS is a fantastic architecture. I think my 790 feels faster than my 900. Maybe CE was better optimized for the MIPS versus the particular processor that the 900 had?

As for this device...I guess I need a little more convincing, and please be honest and tell me if you think it's a bad purchase. Would the monochrome screen create eye strain for reading on it? Scrolling notwithstanding? And if this is MIPS 3000, that's a lot more limited for programs than MIPS 4000 right?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 10