x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Remote Mailslot protocol deprecated Windows 11

torch Page Icon Posted 2023-03-10 7:22 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I don’t really know anything about this but given our use of old hardware and software, I thought it was worth the share:
Microsoft Blog Post

With the release of Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25314, we have started disabling the Remote Mailslot protocol by default. This is a precursor to deprecation and eventual removal from Windows. You aren't using this extremely legacy protocol unless you're also using the deprecated and disabled-by-default SMB1 protocol, so 99.97% of you have nothing to worry about.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-03-10 9:40 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Oh, I know this.... I read some article that somebody used to mess around with the school's computer / network with this, posting messages. lol

Edited by stingraze 2023-03-10 9:41 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-03-10 9:49 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It is what was more commonly referred to as "net send". I remember exploiting it well.
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2023-03-10 5:51 PM
#
Avatar image of I dunk for bananas
H/PC Elite

ohh that's what that was? rest in peace
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-03-10 6:17 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You used to be able to send text messages as a host to host or host to workgroup using the Windows file sharing sub-system. The intention was for administrators to be able to broadcast / unicast messages to users on a network. In school we just used it to wind up teachers who had no idea about the software they pretended to be experts in.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 8