x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

where to begin PPC 2000 development?

Gabriele_MK_08 Page Icon Posted 2023-03-25 5:06 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hey guys, newbie here. I recently got interest in PDAs again, and won a Toshiba e310 with all accessories from an auction. I searched in some places over the Internet, and basically from what i have found there seems to be multiple ways for developing Pocket PC apps, the one i found are java, C using PocketC and Basic.

For the books side, i didn't find anything Pocket PC 2000 on archive.org to borrow, but i found Windows CE 3.0 Programming and i have read that PPC 2000 is based on Windows CE 3.0 so could i apply what the book teaches?

I already have some programming experience, but mostly i made complex projects with java (C and C++ much simpler projects). At think at this point he would be good to go with java, but doesmy PPC have a JVM? (The threads mentioning it where for different PDA/Newer version of PPC)

If not, what route should i take?

Thank in advance.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-03-25 8:51 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

For PocketPC 2000, you could use Embedded Visual Tools 3.0 (eVT 3.0) but install the PocketPC 2000 SDK instead of HPC2000
Here's a link on how to set that up in a Virtual Machine running 2000 or XP (I don't recommend using Vista, 7, 8, 10, or 11-you may run into problems)

https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200225/how_to_setup_a_windows...

I don't know much about developing but you could also try the other programs you mentioned, Java, C, PocketC, and Basic
Try looking through here to get an idea
https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/categories.asp?catID=44
They don't directly apply to PocketPC, so the screen size may be an issue but it's a good place to start?

Hope this helps a little
 Top of the page
Gabriele_MK_08 Page Icon Posted 2023-03-26 7:12 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for reply.
So i have installed eVT 3.0 on my Windows XP VM. There was H/PC and Palm-size PC on the start menu but no PPC. So I searched for the PPC 2000 SDK but found only the 2002 version. Then i noticed a folder named PCKTSDK and ran the setup.exe. So now should be everything i need installed? Because it refers it self as simply Pocket PC SDK, but i assume it's the 2000 version since the first iteration was called simply Pocket PC.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-03-27 12:22 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Correct. I believe in the compiler, PocketPC 2000 is branded as just PocketPC. I’ll have to look later to confirm on my development tools. But I’m 70% sure
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9