x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NEC MobilePro 900

1 2 3
sroland81 Page Icon Posted 2023-04-01 4:48 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

Hi, i recently got my NEC MobilePro 900 and i wanted to start updating things, bootloader, WindowsCE and then try to boot up some sort of linux/Unix OS in it. This is the software version that come with it.

Firmware Version: P530 V5.5
Build Date: Sep 1 2003
PIC Firmware ID: 4.15.7
Bootloader Version: 3.2

I'm reading this --> Duncan Bowring Blog on MobilePro 900 but i'm struggling to figure out the steps and putting all together.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers!

Edited by sroland81 2023-04-01 4:53 PM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-04-01 7:07 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

My MobilePro 900 had Windows CE 3.0 on it and I was able to upgrade it to 4.2 by exactly following these steps:
Go here https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/update/
Select NEC
Select MobilePro 900
Select HPc2000/CE 3.0
Select rom images
Download file called: CE 4.2 ROM Image + Boot loader P530_42 2.02 + 4.10BL
Follow these instructions EXACTLY
Bootloader and Windows CE .net 4.2 ROM Image for the MobilePro 900 Series.
Packaged by HPC:Factor

Installation Instructions
=========================

Prerequisites:
- MobilePro 900/900C
- MobilePro AC Adapter & Power Source

Overview

Bootloader and Windows CE .net 4.2 ROM Image for the MobilePro 900 Series.
Packaged by HPC:Factor

Installation Instructions
=========================

Prerequisites:
- MobilePro 900/900C
- MobilePro AC Adapter & Power Source
- MobilePro Main Battery
- CF Card >=64MB

NOTE: Do not use this version of the flash update if your NEC's Bootloader is already version 4.10.

1. Format the CF card as FAT16 with default cluster sizes
2. Inflate the file download onto the CF card by double clicking hpcf_nec_p530_42-202.exe and pointing to the root of the CF card
3. Save all information you wish to keep on the MobilePro
4. Remove the coin cell battery
5. Ensure that the main battery is inserted and the device is connected to AC
6. It is suggested that users run the NEC Modem Firmware update for their device at this point
7. Insert the CF card into the MobilePro
8. Close any running applications
9. Browse to the CF card and double tap UPDATE.EXE
10. Follow any on screen instructions

The update procedure can take between 5 and 15 minutes and should not under any circumstances be interrupted or experience a change in power state (e.g. disconnection from the AC supply).

During the flash operation, the Bootloader and the Operating System will be updated.

System Requirements

NEC MobilePro 900
Windows CE 3.00 Handheld PC 2000
 Top of the page
sroland81 Page Icon Posted 2023-04-02 1:29 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

Ok! done! thanks! Now i have CE 4.2 and bootloader 4.10. Is there any other update i should go with? I'm looking into running pocket DOS for some old DOS games, looking into it! Maybe some hamradio apps as well.

Thanks again!
 Top of the page
sroland81 Page Icon Posted 2023-04-02 1:45 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

Well, the new rom works but it wont come back on the second suspend (pressing power) i have to remove battery and reset the unit. maybe something with the new rom? can i get back to the previous? or try some other rom?

Thanks
 Top of the page
sroland81 Page Icon Posted 2023-04-02 2:23 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

I now updated to CMONEX v2, everything went fine, but i still have the same issue, the second suspend with the power button, the device wont come back, i have to reset it.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-04-02 2:37 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

1-Can you try hard resetting the device ? And see if that fixes it
I don’t remember off hand how to do that. Try finding the manual
2-does your backup battery work? The coin cell?
3-please go to firmware info in control panel and list me all of the versions displayed on that screen
Also I found this
Note: It may be necessary to depress the power button more than once to properly initialize the power management circuitry before the unit comes on. Note: It may be necessary to connect AC power to the unit and allow it to charge before attempting to apply power. The unit will not power up if the battery voltage is below a safe operating level. Please refer to the leaflet "NEC MobilePro 900, Performing a Hard Reset" that was shipped with the unit for the procedure to perform a hard reset on your MobilePro 900.
 Top of the page
sroland81 Page Icon Posted 2023-04-03 6:27 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

Yes in fact, every time the NEC wouldn't come up from suspension, i had to remove the coin cell and main battery and then it turns on fine, doing the touch screen calibration and initial wizard. And regarding the power button, i gently pressed it, pressed it for several seconds, and nothing. So i reset it once more and managed to install HPC2000 v6.0 and it runs fine now. I'm digging into linux and JLime. I have a 16GB CF card and a 256MB CF card, and i may try the partitioning for running linux. My NEC is MobilePro 900 not 900C, maybe the CE4.2 won't run fine for this reason?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-04-03 6:51 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Yes, I also have a MobilePro 900 not 900c, which came with Windows CE 3.0 and I was able to upgrade it to 4.2
I used the file from H/PC Update, so I'm not sure how different that is from the file you used?

Top of the page
sroland81 Page Icon Posted 2023-04-04 12:37 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

I noticed i have PIC Firmware v4.15.7, how do i upgrade it? I think it is not the version that its supposed to be.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-04-04 1:02 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I think there’s only one HPc2000 firmware that will correctly work with the boot loader you’re on. What version of the boot loader are you on?

https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200199/mobilepro_900900c_firm...

I suggest upgrading to CE4.2 using the H/PC update link I gave to hpcfactor then if you want to downgrade, you can then install the last HPC2000 version using the same boot loader 4.10 from the last 4.2 version

Unfortunately I’m not familiar with other third party websites for doing these things so the only place I can personally vouch for is here.

That said, if you got HPC2000 working again, and everything seems fine even if you are on an older version, I’d just recommend to leave it alone and just try out Linux or BSD to your liking on a CF card.
 Top of the page
sroland81 Page Icon Posted 2023-04-04 3:02 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

I have bootloader 4.10
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-04-04 3:21 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

sroland81 - 2023-04-03 5:37 PM

I noticed i have PIC Firmware v4.15.7, how do i upgrade it? I think it is not the version that its supposed to be.

If you have bootloader 4.10, and you want the newest HPC2000 ROM, then you would just need to go to HPC Update for the following file:

HPC2000 ROM Image P530 v6.0
HPC2000 ROM Image for the MobilePro 900 Series. Note that this is the ROM Image only and does not include the required v4.10 bootloader update which must be installed before HPC2000 can be flashed to the device. Packaged by HPC:Factor Installation Instructions ========================= Prerequisites: - MobilePro 900/900C - MobilePro AC Adapter & Power Source - MobilePro Main Battery - CF Card >=64MB NOTE: It is Strongly recommended that you only attempt this if your device is equipped with Bootloader version 4.10 or higher. 1. Format the CF card as FAT16 with default cluster sizes 2. Inflate the file download onto the CF card by double clicking hpcf_nec_p530_30-60.exe and pointing to the root of the CF card 3. Save all information you wish to keep on the MobilePro 4. Remove the coin cell battery 5. Remove the main battery & AC 6. Lock the battery compartment switch (with the battery removed) 7. Insert the CF card into the MobilePro 8. Connect the AC to the device while holding down the C + F Keys on the Keyboard 9. Quickly release and repress the C + F keys - one time. The MobilePro will begin to boot on its own 9. The screen will change to display a message stating that it is searching for a bootloader update, this will fail (expected) 10. The message will change to state that it is searching for an operating system image, this will begin the flash process The update procedure can take between 5 and 15 minutes and should not under any circumstances be interrupted or experience a change in power state (e.g. disconnection from the AC supply). During the flash operation, the Bootloader and the Operating System will be updated.

Did you install the modem update?
 Top of the page
sroland81 Page Icon Posted 2023-04-04 8:05 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

No, i did not installed the modem firmware, i installed the power management and battery status patch. I'm trying to figure out the firmware upgrade thing. Now that i have bootloader 4.10 the firmware upgrade to CE4.2 is with the C+F keys and the firmware image right? I installed PocketDOS and trying to run some DOS apps with little success. Also trying to become bronze member buy paypal is rejcting my payment. Let's see.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-04-04 8:10 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I’m at work right now so I didn’t have time to fully check but wanted to follow up:

For the bronze subscriber thing, please send @C:Amie a Private Message and explain what’s going on, maybe he can set you up an alternate way? I think they have patreon too. I assure you the bronze is worth it

For the rom update issue, read up this thread too someone was having trouble too
https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20628&st...
 Top of the page
sroland81 Page Icon Posted 2023-04-04 8:22 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

Done! after sending the last post y retried the donation and it went through, i got the transaction ID. Got bronze baby.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.312 - Cached queries : 55 - Executed queries : 26