x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

News: Intel and ARM - 2023

stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-04-12 11:49 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

This news just came up on my radar.

Intel Foundry and Arm Announce Multigeneration Collaboration on Leading-Edge SoC Design

"SANTA CLARA, Calif., and CAMBRIDGE, U.K., April 12, 2023 – Intel Foundry Services (IFS) and Arm today announced a multigeneration agreement to enable chip designers to build low-power compute system-on-chips (SoCs) on the Intel 18A process. "

"As part of its IDM 2.0 strategy, Intel is investing in leading-edge manufacturing capacity around the world, including significant expansions in the U.S. and the EU, to serve sustained long-term demand for chips. This collaboration will enable a more balanced global supply chain for foundry customers working in mobile SoC design on Arm-based CPU cores."

"IFS and Arm will develop a mobile reference design, allowing demonstration of the software and system knowledge for foundry customers. "

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/newsroom/news/intel-foundry-...

Very interesting as Intel sold PXA / XScale tech to Marvell long time ago, and reviving ARM interest.

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2023-04-12 11:51 PM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-04-13 8:46 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Nice find. Intel I’m sure is still kicking itself for selling XScale
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-04-13 10:14 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Just as much as my idiot government should be for allowing the sale of ARM Holdings in the first place (sorry stingraze) and for failing to offer Intel any incentive for building a Fab here in the UK.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-04-13 4:15 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Sounds like the Leading Edge Model D is returning. Just say yes to 5 1/4" discs.

Jake
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-04-14 12:30 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Jake - 2023-04-14 11:15 AM

Sounds like the Leading Edge Model D is returning. Just say yes to 5 1/4" discs.

Jake

That was our family's first computer. Got hit by lightning in the 90s sadly, but I still have all the books and manuals.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-04-14 3:14 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Leading Edge may have had the best word processor of the 80s, at least size-wise. 360K (spellchecker on a separate disc) and it could pretty much do everything. Could only import/export ASCII, though. Great GUI for 1986. Mouse in a later version that I never could find.

But I used the original for years.

Jake
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-04-14 1:14 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I still use it!

(630F1B39-05E7-4BC6-9338-C6AF20926007.jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 630F1B39-05E7-4BC6-9338-C6AF20926007.jpeg (231KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-04-14 3:00 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Really? How are you moving documents around? LE's .doc was beau coup proprietary.

Jake
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-04-15 6:53 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I'm not exporting or converting the format to any other formats. I have several vintage computers with it installed on them and I only view/edit the files on those.
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-04-15 6:56 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I haven't thought much about how you would go about such a thing, but my first instinct would be print to the serial port and capture.
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-04-15 6:57 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

p.s. I haven't done it in a while, but I seem to recall that it runs in dosbox under Linux as well
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-04-16 3:14 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Just for proof of concept, I once ran LE on DOSBox/Windows. Ran fine, so it would make sense it would be the same for DOSBox/Linux.

In 1998 or so, I ran DOS 3.3 and LE 1.3 on a Bondwell laptop (remember Bondwell?) and converted prolly 1500 documents, mostly letters, from LE's .doc to ASCII to .txt for Windows, all the while, reading through each text and matching/inserting the ubiquitous <> for any word italicized in .txt. I thought the process would end my life, but thank god the LE wp highlighted italics, making them much easier to spy.

Why I felt my youthful correspondence was worth this effort is another story, or perhaps a letter.

Jake
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-04-21 1:11 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

thenzero - 2023-04-14 10:14 PM

I still use it!

I never saw that computer before. Looks nice!
Leading Edge Word Processing.... Hmm... before my era, I only used Word and Pages and other Open Office stuff.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 10