x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

ACER AcerNote 760iC

1 2
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2023-05-11 1:28 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Hello everyone! Today I want to tell you about an old laptop that I have recovered: it is an ACER AcerNote 760iC with Windows 95 installed. It is a very rare and dated model, but still functional. However, it has two main problems: the battery is dead and the floppy drive no longer works. This makes it very difficult to use the laptop, because without a floppy I can't install any programs or transfer data. For this reason, I'm looking on the internet if there are still spare parts for this model, but I haven't found anything useful. If any of you have any information on this, please contact me. Thank you in advance for your help.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-05-11 3:17 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I'd open the drive up and see if you can fix it. It could be as simple as it needs re-greasing and a head clean with alcohol.

If it's broken, you've got nothing to lose really. Open it up and see if the worm screws are moving, no gears missing or stripped, that the servo still moves and the actuator is still free. If not, you just need a squirt of lithium grease on them.

A quick YT search and you can see a head clean here:

David Murray doing a re-grease on a couple of machines:

~7 min

~15.5min
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2023-05-12 5:11 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Ok, I should buy a Lithium Grease. There are several, which one should I buy?
One more thing, in the first video, he uses alcohol to clean. And then he says to apply a little lube, in parts. I was wondering what kind of lube?

Edited by NarakuITA 2023-05-12 5:18 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-05-12 10:40 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

NarakuITA - 2023-05-12 5:11 PM

Ok, I should buy a Lithium Grease. There are several, which one should I buy?
One more thing, in the first video, he uses alcohol to clean. And then he says to apply a little lube, in parts. I was wondering what kind of lube?

That would be white lithium grease, lol.

For heavens sake don't spray it on the disk head though Use isopropyl for that as well as for general cleaning

If it is 100% isopropyl, it is perfectly safe to flood over the electronics, it won't hurt it. Just wipe away the dirt let it evaporate before powering on.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2023-05-13 5:50 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

OK, thanks a lot! I'll try it as soon as I have time! Let's hope so. I will post updates!
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2024-01-19 1:22 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

So here I am, I need some advice.
First of all I think it is complex to try to repair this PC. I also can't find any "working batteries" for sale.
So I decided to get an old working laptop to add to my collection.
What do you think? I found three.
All three work very well and I'm undecided, even if the first is the one that "attracts" me the most! What PC do you recommend?
Based on this, for these devices are there still usable batteries to have as a "backup" or to replace batteries that no longer work?
Or do you still recommend me to solve the problems with my ACER?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-01-19 2:43 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

What are the battery cells, NiMh? Early Li? I'd recell it, but I don't mind using a soldering iron.

Did you open up the floppy to try and repair it?

Why not do both? lol

They are all probably going to need battery replacements. Ultimately, the question is: what 'do' you want to with it? If you just want another w95 machine, the Toshiba is fine, but the 96MB RAM one running Windows 2000 is obviously more powerful, but running a Celeron is "meh".

The middle one is running on AMD, so equally "meh".

Leaving the Pentium 233 as half decent CPU wise.
 Top of the page
AximUser Page Icon Posted 2024-01-19 5:18 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I think a similar laptop was sold in North America by AT&T as the Globalyst (200?).

I think Acer has VAR deals with several companies around the world. A VAR (Value Added Reseller) rebrands a computer, maybe putting on some stickers, minor cosmetic changes, minor hardware changes. The VARs hide the origins of the laptop, so I don't think it is that easy to find out all of Acer's VARs at the time. I think there may have been exclusivity and non-disclosure agreements with the VARs.

A similar unit sold in Spain might have a 220v/50hz power supply rated by local agencies, a Spanish language Keyboard, the appropriate mains plug, firmware & software licensed for use in Spain (maybe some in Spanish), etc.

So, if you can figure out a few VARs of that laptop, it might open some search vectors (for spare parts and repair guides).

Edited by AximUser 2024-01-19 5:19 PM
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2024-01-19 6:12 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I couldn't get the Floppy drive out. I will try again, and in any case trying to regenerate, repair, replace the battery of the ACER PC I think is a difficult task.
I really like Toshiba, it works perfectly and the dealer guaranteed that the battery life is 1:40 minutes. I can take the laptop with me and use it, like I do with my Palm m100.
I asked him for the details of the battery, to have a spare and he told me to look for it with these names:

B404 

PA2487

PA2487U

PA2487UG

PA2487UR

PA2487URG

PA2487URN

PA3107U

PA3107U-1BAS

PA3107U-1BRS

PABAS011

Use one of these

I looked on ebay, but I get various batteries of various shapes. Can you give me a hand?

Regarding the PC with Windows 200, the seller provided me with the photo with the battery details. I couldn't find one on ebay or I searched badly.

EDIT for Toshiba Satellite Pro 480CDT:
I'm not very expert, but I can't find anything on ebay or I find "untested" batteries.
However, I found these two sites:
Can you tell me which of these is the most correct?
https://www.laptopbatteryexpress.com/search_results_a/271.html?keywo...
or
https://www.newegg.com/p/16J-014W-006G0

Edited by NarakuITA 2024-01-19 6:42 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-01-20 4:28 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

https://www.battdepot.com/uk/model/notebook+battery/Toshiba/Sate... appears to show a picture of what the correct 480CDT cell looks like. - assuming that it is the correct picture.

https://www.good-batteries.co.uk/product.php/TOSHIBA+Satellite_P... says they have stock
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2024-01-20 9:26 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2024-01-20 4:28 PM

https://www.battdepot.com/uk/model/notebook+battery/Toshiba/Sate... appears to show a picture of what the correct 480CDT cell looks like. - assuming that it is the correct picture.

https://www.good-batteries.co.uk/product.php/TOSHIBA+Satellite_P... says they have stock

Interesting, very interesting! A thousand thanks!
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2024-01-21 6:00 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I noticed that the links on the manufacturer's website are all dead links, no downloads...
I'm looking online, but I can't find anything. Does anyone know where to find windows 95 drivers for the Satellite Pro 480CDT?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-01-21 7:21 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2024-01-21 8:09 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-01-21 8:17 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The first one I clicked on worked.

Just drop the dead file URL's into the wayback machine.

Once you have downloaded everything, upload everything to archive.org so that others can benefit
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8